This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

I need help fixing "buffer overrun detected"

56 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

How can I get back into windows? I'm sending this from my blackberry. I can't get any access.

Did you power it off and restart? Are you saying it will only boot in safe mode?
Run msconfig.
Look under General > make sure Normal Startup is selected
Look under Boot.ini > make sure under boot options nothing is selected
I ran the Belarc Advisor. What am I supposed to do additionally? Does it just scan and that's it? I received no prompts for anything so I'm lost.
It will show you what hardware you have, like what ATI video card you have so you can go to ATI's website and update the drivers.

Lets make sure you don't have any hidden bad guys.

Download Systemscan.exe and save it to the desktop.

http://www.suspectfile.com/upload/files/tools/systemscan.exe

Double click it to run.
Check the following items:

- suspicious files: compressed with UPX, FSG, Polycrypt, Upack and others
All the rest are already checked.
OK the prompt.
Click "scan now"
OK the prompt.

**Note
This scan will take a while so please be patient.
This tool does not fix anything. it just does a scan and generates a log.
Once done the log should pop up.

C:\suspectfile\report.txt

Post log please. It may take 3 posts to get whole logs in.
As soon as I pressed "Scan now," a notepad popped up titled "ctrld." The Systemscan is blank so I don't know if it is scanning or frozen. The popup said: Option Explicit on error resume next Dim oWS : Set oWS = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") Dim oFSO : Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Dim sRegTmp, sOutTmp, eRegLine, aRegFileLines, sSearchFor, sSearchdll, sSearchdll2, sSearchdll3 sRegTmp = oWS.Environment("PROCESS")("SYSTEMDRIVE") & "\suspectfile\files.row " sOutTmp = oWS.Environment("PROCESS")("SYSTEMDRIVE") & "\suspectfile\report.row" With oFSO.OpenTextFile(sOutTmp, 8, True) With oFSO.GetFile(sRegTmp) aRegFileLines = Split(.OpenAsTextStream(1, 0).Read(.Size), vbcrlf) End With For Each eRegLine in aRegFileLines if left (eregline,1) ="" then .writeline(eregline) if datediff("d",left(eregline,10),date()) < 60 then .WriteLine(eregline) end if Next Erase aRegFileLines .Close End With oFSO.DeleteFile(sRegTmp) Set oWS = Nothing Set oFSO = Nothing WScript.Quit
Try this one.

For users running Windows 2000, XP or Vista

Download ComboScan to your Desktop.
  • Close all applications and windows.
  • Double-click on comboscan.exe to run it, and follow the prompts.
  • When the scan is complete, a text file will open - ComboScan.txt
  • Copy (Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of ComboScan.txt in your thread in the HijackThis Log Help Forum.
  • A folder, C:\ComboScan, will also open. In it will be another text file, Supplementary.txt.
  • Please attach Supplementary.txt to your post.
Note: some firewalls may warn that sigcheck.exe is trying to access the internet - please ensure that you allow sigcheck.exe permission to do so.

To attach a file to a new post, simply
  • Click the[Manage Attachments] button under Additional Options > Attach Files on the post composition page, and
  • copy and paste the following into the "Upload File from your Computer" box:

    C:\ComboScan\Supplementary.txt

  • Click Upload.
What ComboScan will do:
  • create a new System Restore point in Windows XP and Vista.
  • clean your Temporary Files, Downloaded Program Files, and Internet Cache Files, and also empty the Recycle Bin on all drives.
  • check some important areas of your system and produce a report for your analyst to review. ComboScan automatically runs HijackThis for you, but it will also install and place a shortcut to HijackThis on your desktop if you do not already have HijackThis installed.
LDTate, The bottom of Systemscan reads "step 1 of 11 in progress." But it seems there is no activity at all. Should I shut this down and follow your above instructions?

LDTate,

The bottom of Systemscan reads "step 1 of 11 in progress." But it seems there is no activity at all. Should I shut this down and follow your above instructions?

Yes :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI