This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

I need help fixing "buffer overrun detected"

56 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

You need to have a version of IE. You don't need to run it, but it's part of the windows OS. see if you have this file: C:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\ie.inf Right Click on ie.inf and select install. If that doesn't work then go to windows updates and install IE6.

Should I uninstall Microsoft .NET framework 2 and Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Package?

I wouldn't remove anything that's part of the OS.
You can use windows sfc (system file checker) You'd need your XP CD to make this work.
Click Start> Run> type sfc /scannow Note the space.
(Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)
The scan didn't prevent the popup. After the reboot, the "Buffer overrun detected" screen appeared again. Does this mean I should get another computer? I just bought this one a year and a half ago.

The scan didn't prevent the popup. After the reboot, the "Buffer overrun detected" screen appeared again.

Does this mean I should get another computer? I just bought this one a year and a half ago.

Everything I find about that is usually from a program. Have you visited windows updates and get all the latest downloads?
You could also try this with your internet connection unplugged. Go into msconfig / startup and uncheck everything. (Make a note of the ones checked) Reboot and see if the error is still there. If it's gone, recheck a couple at a time and reboot after each change until you find the one causing the error. Don't plug the internet connection in until you at least have the anti-virus and firewall checked.
I just unchecked and rebooted my system. Popup still there. I did notice that when I'm logged out, it doesn't appear. It only appears when I'm logged in, which is always. I think I've downloaded all the updates. It's always been set to automatic download. I went to the Microsoft site to check for downloads relative to buffer overruns and found my system to be up to date.
OK. Lets see if you get it when booting in Safe Mode. If not, it could be something like your video driver. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. Press F8 after the Power-On Self Test (POST) is done. If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, try restarting and then pressing F8 several times after the POST screen. Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter. This can take several miniutes to load.
Its in safe mode right now but its not active in any way. Its not loading. I set it in advanced. Options. Now I can't get to window that will allow me to move around.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI