Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE won't navigate, SystemRestore won't work, can't edit/cr

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#16 5muggl3r

5muggl3r

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:24 PM

downloaded IE6sp1 from Microsoft wouldn't install due to newer version already on pc IE not listed in Add/Remove Programs Firefox install=GOOD. previously, in Tools>Options I would constantly enable "show full path in Title Bar" and it would never appear after clicking OK. Now it works. :) User Account create/change still non-functional System Restore still a blank screen

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:30 PM

It appears you have / had IE6 I suggest you do this: Click "Start," and then click "Control Panel." Click "Add or Remove Programs." Check "Show Updates" at the top of the dialog box. Scroll down the list and highlight the version of Internet Explorer 7 that you are running, and then click "Change/Remove." Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to disabled. Click apply/ok, then reboot. Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#18 5muggl3r

5muggl3r

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:15 PM

Well, checked Add/Remove Programs (check Updates) Internet Explorer not listed checked the Windows Updates (they're not written friendly, everything listed KB####...) Only item I found that might by relevant: ------"KB896727 (MS05-038) Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer" received Windows msg about how it might affect other programs . . . Cancelled the removal since I don't know how it would affect them. MSN listed in Add/Remove Programs tried to Remove ”MSN has experienced a problem and cannot continue. If you are running low on memory, try closing some programs and running MSN again.” Disabled System Restore Reboot Msg: "System Volume Information not accessible. Access denied." Tried in Safe Mode as Administrator, same message. hmmmmm . . .

#19 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:46 AM

KB896727 (MS05-038) Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer"
received Windows msg about how it might affect other programs . . .
Cancelled the removal since I don't know how it would affect them.

I'd go ahead and remove it.

MSN listed in Add/Remove Programs
tried to Remove

Why remove MSN?

Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick
it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to disabled.
Click apply/ok, then reboot. Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.

Where you able to stop and Start system restore?

#20 5muggl3r

5muggl3r

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:41 AM

I tried removing MSN cuz I figured since it's a browser, it might have been interfering with IE. bad assumption? went into Control Panel>Add Remove Programs and removed the following: KB896727 (MS05-038) Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer KB896688 (MS05-052) Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer KB905915 (MS05-054) Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer KB912812 (MS06-013) Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer KB916281 (MS06-021) Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer KB918899 (MS06-042) Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer KB922760 (MS06-067) Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer KB925454 (MS06-072) Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer KB928090 (MS07-016) Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer Reboot Control Panel>Internet Options: All tabs have returned!! :) So I deleted Cookies, Temporary Internet Files, Offline Content, and set Temporary Internet Files size to 512mb. IE: launches and navigates :) System Restore = doesn't bring up a blank screen anymore :) User Accounts = functional :) The only thing I still can't access is the System Volume Information folder (all users have Administrator privileges). So I haven't turned System Restore back on, is this a problem? Should I just turn System Restore back on and not worry about the SysVolInfo folder?

#21 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:46 AM

So I haven't turned System Restore back on, is this a problem? Should I just turn System Restore back on and not worry about the SysVolInfo folder?

Yes, turn it back on. Create a new restore point. You should always keep system restore on.

#22 5muggl3r

5muggl3r

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:15 AM

Start>Run>services.msc Checked the Standard and Extended tabs, both listings for SystemRestore are ON and set to AUTOMATIC. I didn't do it. Maybe happened when I launched System Restore to see if it would work? Only residual problem left is MyComputer not recognizing drives (dvd-rom and cdrw). They're available in BIOS, Device Manager has "!". Tried looking for the drivers on Dell's site, but they're only offering firmware flash utility for the dvd-rom (Sony DDU1615-DS) and no downloads for cdrw (TSSTcorp TS-H292B). I'm guessing drivers are in the burning applications and movie player??

#23 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:21 AM

Did you get any cd's from Dell with your system. One should have the drivers on it.

#24 5muggl3r

5muggl3r

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:31 AM

The family can't find the CDs. Ugh! Gotta wait for Dell to ship copies. Any other way in the meantime?

#25 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:35 AM

You can try right click on them in device manager and select update driver and see what happens

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 5muggl3r

5muggl3r

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:01 AM

same result as before: windows "cannot find a better match." Tried uninstalling, shutdown, disconnect IDE, startup/shutdown, reconnect IDE, startup, still no luck. Got any more tricks?

#27 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

In device manager what does it show? Yellow triangle or Red x

#28 5muggl3r

5muggl3r

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:11 AM

Yellow triangle with '!'

#29 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:16 AM

I'd right click and uninstall it. Then reboot and let windows do it's thing.

#30 5muggl3r

5muggl3r

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:23 AM

tried it again, drives still unrecognized in MyComputer. Same DeviceMgr status.