Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

HELP - My Log

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#16 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

MRU Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:Tutte le cose italiane

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:00 PM

Hi Foldingo

1) Scanning

Ad-Aware doesn't have a real-time protection. So, how often should I scan for malware?
Is TeaTime (or something like that) form Spybot a real-time protection? if not, the same question as for Ad-aware goes here.

It is generally believed that no one antivirus or spyware protection program can catch everything. Having said that, running two antivirus programs in real-time protection is a no-no. Antivirus programs do not play well together, can cause conflicts, and possibly may miss infections altogether. Therefore, a better set-up is to have one antivirus and a couple of real-time protection programs such as Windows Defender. I would run on-demand scanners such as Adaware and SpyBot weekly**.

** The frequency really depends on how often your computer is connected to the internet.

Other programs that have real-time protection, should I run them from time-to-time for a full scan? If yes, how often?

While this will not do any harm, if you have everything set correctly and the programs are updating themselves daily (or whenever you start your computer), there shouldn't be any need. If you want to run full scan from time to time then weekly** is OK.

** The frequency really depends on how often your computer is connected to the internet.

2) Firetrust - Sitehound

ChrisRLG mentioned on the link you gave me that it's a must as an anti-malware program. You haven't mentioned it, so should I skip Sitehound?

We tend to recommend free programs that will offer good protection. Sitehound is an excellent program but you need to purchase it to receive the full benefits. Another very good program is WinPatrol but, again, you need to purchase it to get the full benefits.

3) Update

How often should I manually update certain programs that don't have the auto-update otion?

Windows: Should be on automatic updates.
Antivirus: Daily - it should update itself when you first switch the computer on.
Other real-time protection programs: Daily - they probably update themselves before running.
Other protection programs e.g. Adaware: Weekly - check for updates before running.

4) Host file

I need help here, because I understood nothing. What should I download on the linked page you gave me?

OK, I'll try to explain...
When you type a web address in your browser to go to a web site, the words you use have to be converted into numbers, an IP address, that the internet will understand. For example, the internet recognises the bbc web site as 212.58.240.32 (type this number directly into your browser's address bar and see what happens).
To do this conversion of words to numbers, your browser will look at the Hosts file first then your ISP's DNS servers.
Generally, your Hosts file is empty so your browser will then look to your ISP for the conversion.

So, two things:
  • Malware can add entries to your Hosts file to stop your browser reaching certain web sites, usually security sites, or can re-direct your browser to another (false) site. To stop this, you need to protect the Hosts file with a program such as Hostsman (free) or WinPatrol.
  • By purposely adding certain entries to the Hosts file, you can stop your browser going to dodgy sites or downloading adverts. The Hosts file available on the MVPS web site has many such entries and can be downloaded to your computer. Read "What it does" on the web site.

Updated question:

What should I do now with AVG anti-spyware? Since I already have a NOD32 antivirus?

AVG-AS is not an antivirus program in the same sense as NOD32 so it's OK to keep both. The AVG-AS Guard, the real-time protection element, will stop working after thirty days unless you purchase the program. After the thirty days, you must update and run the program manually.

Hope the above helps.
Vino
Vino Rosso
Member of ASAP and Unite
The help we provide is free. If you wish to support us, please consider a small
donation

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Foldingo

Foldingo

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

Hi Vino. You helped alot! Especially the way you explain things. I read some others' topics, and other guys don't explain as simple as you! Congrats. Now, three more questions: 1) When should I post my next HJT log file? If I encounter a problem, or from time-to-time? 2) Although I'm satisfied with my computer, I know it can always go faster! So what enchancements do you suggest? For example, some friend told me that I should uncheck the "The indexing service" option on my Hard Disk (I didn't do it, as I wanted to see some other opinions). So, should I do that? And what else can I do? 3) Concerning Spybot: it has a S&D Resident in my system tray running in real-time from startup. Should I keep it or not? Thanks again.

Edited by Foldingo, 27 February 2007 - 03:50 PM.

#18 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

MRU Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

Hi Foldingo

You helped alot! Especially the way you explain things. I read some others' topics, and other guys don't explain as simple as you! Congrats.

You are very welcome. Thanks for the feedback. :)

1) When should I post my next HJT log file? If I encounter a problem, or from time-to-time?

Definitely post a log if you have a problem. When you post the log don't forget to describe the problem you are having. Too many people simply post a log and don't say anything.
There is no harm in posting a log occasionally for a check-up but please remember to say that you are not experiencing any problems and that it's just a check-up. That way, helpers don't spend time looking for things that are not there.

2) Although I'm satisfied with my computer, I know it can always go faster! So what enchancements do you suggest?

For example, some friend told me that I should uncheck the "The indexing service" option on my Hard Disk (I didn't do it, as I wanted to see some other opinions).

So, should I do that? And what else can I do?

Yes, that is one of the options in my 'spring clean' post that goes some way towards improving the speed of your computer. See below.

3) Concerning Spybot: it has a S&D Resident in my system tray running in real-time from startup. Should I keep it or not?

Yes, SpyBot Search & Destroy is a sound program. Keep it updated and run a scan regularly.

Hope that helps
Vino

========================================================

1 - Spring Clean PC
The following steps will serve as a spring clean for your PC. Not all of them will be of benefit to your PC as this is a general post, but the overall effect should be positive.

a) Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove any programs that you no longer use and then reboot your PC.

b.) Download ATF Cleaner by Atribune from Please download to your Desktop ATF Cleaner by Atribune from >here<. This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only. It does not require any installation and uses minimal system resources. It is set up to clean IE, FireFox and Opera, and detects the browsers you have and greys out the other(s).

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Recommend UNCHECKING COOKIES if you rely on system remembered passwords.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox browser
Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All EXCEPT FIREFOX SAVED PASSWORDS
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

If you use Opera browser
Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All EXCEPT COOKIES AND SAVED PASSWORDS
NOTE: If you would like to keep your cookies and saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

c) Double click My Computer
Right click the disc drive you wish to check, usually C:
Click Properties
On the General tab, compare the Free Space with the capacity of the drive. In order to operate efficiently, Windows requires a certain amount of free space on the hard drive. If this is less than 15% you should consider removing any unused or unnecessary programs and temporary files.

Now click the Tools tab.
Under Error-checking, click the Check Now button.
In the "Check Disc Local Disk (C: )" dialog box, check both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

An information window will open saying,"The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed only by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?" Click Yes

d) Go to Start > Run > type sfc /scannow ( note the space between the "c" and "/" ) and click on OK.

This will look for and attempt to replace any corrupt system files that can be found. There are backups of some of these files on your PC and Windows will check for a copy here first. If you are prompted to insert your Windows XP disc, do so. If you don't have this disc and are asked for it, you will have to cancel at this point.

For details on the System File Checker, click >here<

e) Defragment your hard drive. A tutorial for disc defragmentation is available >here<

f) Download StartUp Inspector from >here< and run the program.
This program will help you to decide exactly what programs you disable from running at startup.
The Readme.txt file included has instructions on how to use it.

g) Indexing Service creates indexes of the contents and properties of all files on local and network drives in order to increase file searching speed. It's quite similar to "Find Fast" that ships with Microsoft Office. Indexing Service runs continuously and can slow down your PC's general performance because it has to index files continuously. If you don't need slightly faster file searches, the feature can be safely turned off. Note: Indexing Service is turned on by default for all NTFS partitions.

Turning this service off to increase overall performance: Open My Computer > right-click on a Drive icon > Select Properties > UNcheck Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching > Click Apply. Make sure to select Apply changes to subfolders and files before clicking OK in the new window.

h) Some visual effects used by Windows XP can cause your PC to operate slowly. To see if this speeds things up try:
Start > right-click on My Computer > Properties
Advancedtab > under Performance, click on the Settings button
Visual Effects tab, select Adjust for Best Performance
Vino Rosso
Member of ASAP and Unite
donation

#19 Foldingo

Foldingo

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:35 PM

Hi, Vino! Thanks for additional info. I have one more question: Should "Hostman" be a real-time program? Should it start with Windows?

#20 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

MRU Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:11 AM

Thanks for additional info.

You're welcome :)

I have one more question:

Should "Hostman" be a real-time program? Should it start with Windows?

It's not necessary for Hostsman to start with Windows - it's not a real-time monitor, like WinPatrol. Hostsman can be used to update the Hosts file and to switch it on/off. Why would you want to switch it off? Well, the MVP Hosts file will block some 'click-throughs' as they are used to track activity and serve adverts. If there's a particular link you definitely want to see, you may decide to switch off the Hosts file temporarily to let the 'click-through' work. An example is when you click on sponsored links on the Google search page.

Hope that helps
Vino Rosso
Member of ASAP and Unite
donation

#21 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

MRU Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:24 AM

Ciao Francesca Come stai? :) To avoid confusion, I will ask Admin to split your post away from Foldingo's thread and create a new thread for you. Once this has been done, I will answer you there. Vino
Vino Rosso
Member of ASAP and Unite
donation

#22 Foldingo

Foldingo

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:35 AM

It's not necessary for Hostsman to start with Windows - it's not a real-time monitor, like WinPatrol. Hostsman can be used to update the Hosts file and to switch it on/off. Why would you want to switch it off? Well, the MVP Hosts file will block some 'click-throughs' as they are used to track activity and serve adverts. If there's a particular link you definitely want to see, you may decide to switch off the Hosts file temporarily to let the 'click-through' work. An example is when you click on sponsored links on the Google search page.

Hope that helps

Of course! You've answered to all my questions and doubts, and I thank you for that again :thumbup:

I hope I can count on you for any additional info throughout my "computing career" :) (no need to open a new thread in that case, right?)

Thanks again. Bye :wavey:

Edited by Foldingo, 02 March 2007 - 04:37 AM.

#23 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoy...showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom