Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Downloads

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 bulldogger

bulldogger

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:54 PM

In windows XP I tried to download microsoft media player and cannot. When I go to a website like you-tube to play a video I cannot and get a message saying I have a older verson of media player or javascript turned off. But I don't. When I try to download the latest version of flashplayer it will not. I am always getting a warning bar just below my browser saying activex needs to be installed. Does anyone know whats going on, all these problems just started all at once.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ax238

Ax238

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:05 PM

Hello bulldogger,

I would suggest uninstalling the player first, but you can only uninstall it with the Adobe Flash Uninstaller. Use the following instructions to resolve the issue:
http://www.adobe.com...cfm?id=tn_14157

After this is completed, reinstall the Flash player from http://www.adobe.com.

Cheers,

Ax

#3 bulldogger

bulldogger

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:33 PM

I have done that a half dozen times, that is not the problem. There has got to be another issue somewhere!

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

Hi, When you get the warning about the Active X, are you allowing it to install by clicking on the information bar? Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 bulldogger

bulldogger

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:47 PM

Yes I do click on that bar but nothing happens. I don't know whats going on with it. Sometimes I get warnings about administrator rights. But everyone has those rights on this computer.

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:17 PM

Hi, It may be one of your security settings is preventing you downloading the required Active X control. You can check for example, in Internet Explorer, by doing this: 1 Click on Tools 2 Click on Internet Options 3 Click on the "Security" tab 4 Click on "Custom Level" (for Internet), 5 Check that the radio button on "Download signed ActiveX controls" is set to "Prompt" Just a word of caution, whenever you allow an Active X control you are in effect giving control to the Active X on your machine so only allow this when you are 100% sure that it comes from a legitimate source. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#7 bulldogger

bulldogger

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

I have checked that before, it is on prompt, I really believe there is a registry issue. Is there a way to check and correct it.

#8 Ax238

Ax238

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:43 PM

It may not necessarily be a registry issue. What would be beneficial in resolving the issue is if you would post the exact error messages that are displayed.

There is a simple way to test whether you have administrator rights on a computer. Right-click the Start button. If you can see the "Explore All Users" option, you have administrator rights.

#9 bulldogger

bulldogger

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:28 PM

This is the error message I receive when I try to download IE7. The installation finishes but says it cannot be installed. When I try to install flash player the setup never finishes Error message when you try to install Internet Explorer 7: "Internet Explorer could not be installed" View products that this article applies to. Article ID : 917925 Last Review : December 26, 2006 Revision : 8.2 Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 256986 (http://support.micro....com/kb/256986/) Description of the Microsoft Windows registry On This Page SYMPTOMS CAUSE WORKAROUND Method 1 Method 2 Method 3 Method 4 Method 5 STATUS MORE INFORMATION SYMPTOMS When you try to install Windows Internet Explorer 7, the installation wizard finishes. But after the wizard finishes, you receive the following error message: Internet Explorer 7 could not be installed. You must restart your system to confirm that any changes to your system are undone. After you restart, follow the "Internet Explorer Troubleshooting" shortcut on your desktop to get more information. If the installation wizard never finishes, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 926716 (http://support.micro....com/kb/926716/) The installation of Windows Internet Explorer 7 never finishes Back to the top CAUSE This issue may occur when either of the following conditions is true: • Permissions for one or more registry subkeys or for files on the computer are restricted in a way that prevents the update of those registry subkeys or computer files. A failure to update a registry key or a computer file may cause the Setup program to fail. • Something has caused the computer not to trust the Internet Explorer 7 installation package. Back to the top WORKAROUND Warning

#10 Ax238

Ax238

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for the info,

What kind of security software do you have installed? By this I mean any Antivirus, Antispyware, Firewall, system protection, etc. If you don't know, post the Running processes portion of a HijackThis log.

Regards,

Ax

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 bulldogger

bulldogger

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:05 PM

I use the windows firewall, and my ISP atlantic broadband has a free virus protection and pop up stopper that I am using. I have my ISP firewall disabled. I also disabled all of these when I tried to download IE7. I have used spybot search and destroy, CD shredder and adware 6.0. I don't know if maybe I removed something I shouldn't have with one of these programs. I know that spybot renders my virus protection useless if I remove everything that it finds.

#12 Ax238

Ax238

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:22 PM

I don't think Spybot should be causing this problem. Have you been able to work through method 2 or method 3 of Microsoft KB 917925?

Edited by Ax238, 08 February 2007 - 03:22 PM.

#13 bulldogger

bulldogger

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:03 PM

No, I cannot get through their fix either!

#14 Ax238

Ax238

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

What parts of their fix are you having problems with? I might be able to walk you through it. Please let me know. Ax

#15 bulldogger

bulldogger

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:02 PM

I will have to try the fix again to remember but I think I couldn't open the IE7 logfile, I will let you know.