This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Downloads

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

In windows XP I tried to download microsoft media player and cannot. When I go to a website like you-tube to play a video I cannot and get a message saying I have a older verson of media player or javascript turned off. But I don't. When I try to download the latest version of flashplayer it will not. I am always getting a warning bar just below my browser saying activex needs to be installed. Does anyone know whats going on, all these problems just started all at once.
Yes I do click on that bar but nothing happens. I don't know whats going on with it. Sometimes I get warnings about administrator rights. But everyone has those rights on this computer.
Hi, It may be one of your security settings is preventing you downloading the required Active X control. You can check for example, in Internet Explorer, by doing this: 1 Click on Tools 2 Click on Internet Options 3 Click on the "Security" tab 4 Click on "Custom Level" (for Internet), 5 Check that the radio button on "Download signed ActiveX controls" is set to "Prompt" Just a word of caution, whenever you allow an Active X control you are in effect giving control to the Active X on your machine so only allow this when you are 100% sure that it comes from a legitimate source. Regards paws
I have checked that before, it is on prompt, I really believe there is a registry issue. Is there a way to check and correct it.
It may not necessarily be a registry issue. What would be beneficial in resolving the issue is if you would post the exact error messages that are displayed.

There is a simple way to test whether you have administrator rights on a computer. Right-click the Start button. If you can see the "Explore All Users" option, you have administrator rights.
This is the error message I receive when I try to download IE7. The installation finishes but says it cannot be installed. When I try to install flash player the setup never finishes Error message when you try to install Internet Explorer 7: "Internet Explorer could not be installed" View products that this article applies to. Article ID : 917925 Last Review : December 26, 2006 Revision : 8.2 Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 256986 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/) Description of the Microsoft Windows registry On This Page SYMPTOMS CAUSE WORKAROUND Method 1 Method 2 Method 3 Method 4 Method 5 STATUS MORE INFORMATION SYMPTOMS When you try to install Windows Internet Explorer 7, the installation wizard finishes. But after the wizard finishes, you receive the following error message: Internet Explorer 7 could not be installed. You must restart your system to confirm that any changes to your system are undone. After you restart, follow the "Internet Explorer Troubleshooting" shortcut on your desktop to get more information. If the installation wizard never finishes, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 926716 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926716/) The installation of Windows Internet Explorer 7 never finishes Back to the top CAUSE This issue may occur when either of the following conditions is true: • Permissions for one or more registry subkeys or for files on the computer are restricted in a way that prevents the update of those registry subkeys or computer files. A failure to update a registry key or a computer file may cause the Setup program to fail. • Something has caused the computer not to trust the Internet Explorer 7 installation package. Back to the top WORKAROUND Warning
Thanks for the info,

What kind of security software do you have installed? By this I mean any Antivirus, Antispyware, Firewall, system protection, etc. If you don't know, post the Running processes portion of a HijackThis log.

Regards,

Ax
I use the windows firewall, and my ISP atlantic broadband has a free virus protection and pop up stopper that I am using. I have my ISP firewall disabled. I also disabled all of these when I tried to download IE7. I have used spybot search and destroy, CD shredder and adware 6.0. I don't know if maybe I removed something I shouldn't have with one of these programs. I know that spybot renders my virus protection useless if I remove everything that it finds.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI