Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Random Disconnections from Internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nelclaret

nelclaret

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:16 PM

Greetings

For about the past 3 or 4 months I have had recurring problems with random disconnections from the Internet.

I get an 'error connecting to Speedtouch connection' message (speedtouch being the modem provided by the broadband provider). I have set the system so that it will auomatically re-dial 10 times in 3 second intervals (I can't remember how I did this! :huh:) and the connection always reconnects after about 4 - 6 attempts.

Now, this is not a big deal as (touch wood) it always reconnects and I can continue from the page I was on: it's just become part and parcel of how I use the 'net.

However, I am wondering what caused this and how I can rectify it. There was no such problem up to 4 months ago (and I have been using the internet for probably 16 months in total).

The ONLY clue is that the bit rate was upgraded to 5.1 mps at about that time and I wonder if this has anything to do with it. (The broadband provider gave me some links to download patches connected with the upgrade but this has not helped.) There does not seem to be anything wrong with the phone line and I have not got a loose wire as far as I can see. Likewise my system is NOT set to close automatically after inactivity for a certain period of time.

I cannot see a pattern to the diconnections other than they seem to be more prevalent in the evening and I am therefore wondering whether it is something to do with increased traffic at that time?

As I say, I suppose I am used to this by now and it certainly isn't a teeth-gnashing problem but I am getting a little bit niggled.

Any ideas.

Thanks as always.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:17 PM

Not "teeth-gnashing" maybe but certainly annoying, since with Broadband your connection is supposed to be "always on". Can we presume that your computer is connected directly to the DSL Modem, and that the modem consistently has (4) of the (5) five lights lit up all the time, with the 5th light flickering and shining primarily when you are navigating between sites on the internet. Additionally, can we presume that you "do not" have a Router between your DSL Modem and your computer? Next, did you use the CD provided with the DSL internet service providers package when you received the DSL Modem? (Amazingly, this can be the source of the problem, since much of the installation on that CD will be "bloatware" designed to give you for instance Yahoo's version of Internet Explorer, and various Yahoo help files etc....... Could be another "brand name" depending on who you buy DSL service from) When you installed the "hardware", (modem and line-filters) did you install line-filters on "all" of your telephone outlets? I ask, because if you forgot to filter even one outlet line, and someone decides to use "that" phone while your computer is connected to the internet, the use of that phone can disrupt your internet connection. (That also goes for filtering the phoneline to your TV satellite or cable box if you have either) Finally, when you get "disconnected" -- What information is reported in your Network Connection? Before trying to re-connect, go to - Control Panel - Network Connections The panel will show you your Network Connection and report - Connected - Disconnected - No or Low Internet Connection - or Connection Failed. <---- what does yours say at the time of connection loss? ______________________ there are a few things you can do to attempt to repair your connection, including: In the Network Connection Panel you will see an option for "Repair this Connection".... click it and allow the automated repair. You can "manually" do the same by using the ipconfig functions in a command line. Here's how: Go to: Start - Run (type)ipconfig /release <-------- notice the space between "g" and "/" Next: Start - Run (type)ipconfig /renew <-------- notice the space between "g" and "/" Now go try out your internet by browsing for a while and report back if you continue to have the problem with intermittent disconnects. ____________________ Do you leave your DSL Modem "turned on" all the time. This is OK to do, but occasionally the Modem's connection settings get "scrambled". DSL Modem settings can be returned to their factory default settings by "turning it off" and disconnecting the phone line from the DSL Modem for approximately (1) one minute before reconnecting the phoneline and turning on the power to the DSL Modem again. _______________ Finally, if you are experiencing "low or no internet connectivity" at the time of the disconnect, it could very well be a problem with your phone company wiring. Inside the home is usually your responsibility, from the pole to the house and the phone company NIC box is usually the phone company's responsibility. I've occasionally spent hours making sure that the computer settings and DSL Modem and filters were all set up correctly, only to find that the phone companies service drops below 45 volts on an intermittent basis. The phone company is responsible to deliver a minimum of 45volts to your home. When it drops below that, you may still be able to make analog and digital "phone calls" but your DSL service may not function. Please provide the requested information from above, and results from trying the recommended procedures above. We'll research further and possibly recommend additional steps based on your results. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 nelclaret

nelclaret

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 05:55 PM

Dough Thank you kindly for your reply. Apologies for not getting back sooner. What I possibly failed to make clear in my post is that I am an absolute moron - computer-wise. To prove this I can state here and now that I don't know what a 'router' is, nor the meaning of DSL modem? (No sniggering at the back there). So I have tried to address your points as best I can. - I only have one telephine outlest in my house and this has been filtered with devices provided with the initial modem kit - The wire goes from my 'phone socket and into the modem in another room. I would guess that there is no 'router' involved. - I used the CD provided for installation and it worked fine. This disconnection problem started some 3-4 months ago, after the connection had been working perfectly for approx 12 months before that. - When the disconnection occurs I am only off-line for about 15-20 seconds whilst the dial-up automatically reconnects (which takes 4-6 attempts at 3 second intervals. I do not have to manually reconnect - I just wait patiently and Bingo, I can carry on from where I left off. - The modem I have (as provided by the broadband service) - does not have 5 lights. It has two that burn staedy when the internet is connected. This is correct according to the handbook. - I have not looked at the connectivity status as the Internet will have reconnected automatically by the time I would do this (I suppose I could disable the automatic reconnection but I am loathe to do so as it 'works' as is (ie it has never failed to reconnect me yet) - The broadband provider has suggested that I have a line check done but I have not got round to this yet. In another email it was suggested that perhaps my PC was not allocating sufficient power for the upgraded service (remember this problem seemed to start when I went from 3 to 5 mbps). I don't know if any of the above helps. The error message I get when the recoonection is attempted (and fails for the first few times) is Error 680 - No Dial Tone. Regards and apologies for my ineptitude. Regards Nelclaret

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:06 PM

When you get around to it, get the "line check" done. Keep in mind that Phone Companies are loathe to accept responsibility for faulty lines and hardware. Getting a "line check" generally involves an initial call to 611 for phone repair services. The online support person "may" offer to run a "line test" from their location. These "line tests" most often find that "service" is connected and good. It actually takes a service person to come out to your location with Volt-meter and such to test. If the "service call" person finds that there is "no problem from the phone company" you may be charged a fee for the service call. Get that information from the 611 online support person, before agreeing to something that might cost you money that you did not wish to spend. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.