This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Firewall

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi I was wondering if people have a firewall that they know doesn't hog too many resources. Please explain why Thank you
Hi, I have used Zone Alarm (Free version) now for some time and the resources it tends to use seem to be generally low, when checked by task manager. (CPU and Memory usage) The same can be said for Sygate (Free version), although as this has been taken over by the folks at Symantec, the download is becoming increasing hard to find! Regards paws
Yes that's what I used, Zone Alarm, but let me tell you Zone Alarm really hacks away at your loading speed. It slows down windows tremendously, yet you wouldn't tell from the task manager that's not always a foolproof way. This shows loading times for some programs, but doesn't show all firewalls. I'm currently running AVG security center without resident shield antispyware and antispam, which in my opinion are useless and antispyware usually doesn't catch the spyware until after it installs so I use adaware and spybot S & D. I was just wondering if there were better firewalls that use less booting time then Zone Alarm.


Thank you for the reply paws,

François
hi Barqers,

many firewalls these days come bundled with add-ons, kind of like a "all in one" solution. this could be rough on system resources, not to mention easier to disable by malware. a layered approach to protection is best. if you use a firewall in my opinion it should just be a firewall. i tend to rotate my firewalls, right now iam using look n stop, easy on resources, just a firewall.

its important to learn what uses/needs a internet connection, allowing all traffic is not a good idea. a firewall will not protect you from downloading something to your computer it will alert you to traffic from your computer If you start getting unusual warnings/alerts you already have a trojan on your computer.

shelf life
Yeah I know, which sucks. right now I've got avg anti-virus which im definetaly keeping. but avg firewall i don't know. however zone alarm, kerio, comodo, sygate, norton and webroot all take up 50mb or more on my computers ram and i have no idea why. either it is my computer or its those darn programs François
I see it's only a 30 day trial. Download Look 'n' Stop and secure your PC for free during 30 days ! Does it keep working after the 30 day trial?
Yes, but I wouldn't recommend this firewall anymore. If you start a game client it starts beeping like mad. Constant beeps and it doesn't stop til you exit the firewall. Goodluck with it though
Ah yes. Well I think AVG is the best so far seems to take up the least resources. Personally I would rather zonealarm it just slows your boot and your computer down alot.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI