This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Desktop Icon Text Background problem

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This is the problem. On my desktop, all of the icons have text as their name (obviously). The background of that text is a solid color. Before I had it transparent, but this problem came along with my desktop one (resolved). The major problem is, I tried editting my System Performance settings and checked in the drop shadow thing, as well as enable desktop item lock, and my desktop items still have solid colors in the text background. This is extremely annoying, as when I log on there are blotches of ugly blue all over my desktop :( Help is appreciated.
I am not a staff member but I may be able to help you since I had the same problem, the following will hellp your Pc's performance and it will also help your problem hopefully.

Start > Control Panel > Performance & Maintenance > Adjust Visual Effects and Select Custom. Only have a check beside:
Show Shadows Under Menues
Show Shadows under mouse pointers
Show Translucent selection rectangle
Smooth edges of screen font
Use common tasks in folders
Use drop shadows for icon lables on the Desktop
Use visual styles on windows and buttons.


Uncheck everything else, then click Apply then OK.
Hi Nimsha, Glad you got it sorted. Hi GaryOR-LFC, None of us are "staff" We're all volunteers, just like you. Your recommendations for "turning off eye candy" to improve machine performance is well stated. I have made similar recommendations elsewhere. I'm a little more aggressive with items to turn off, but your recommendations is both safe and probably helpful to most users. Thanks for your helpful participation at TC. I look forward to seeing your around the Forums. I hope you will feel welcome to learn when you need and help when you can. That's what I do. Best Regards, Doug
The machine performance is better, and the minimize/maximize/toolbar sliding and fading annoyed me. The main problem that still lies is the text backgrounds in my desktop items.
I went on google to search for a way to fix this, and I found some images that can be used to display my problem.

🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image)
This is what it looks like for me with each icon on the right, except with white text and blue text background.

On the left is what I want it to look like with each icon.

None of the common fixes work, so I'm guessing it might be a registry problem.
I recommend you download RegSeeker.

The link is: http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

Extract it to it's own folder, open and double click RegSeeker.exe to start the program. Maximize the window and click clean registry. Check all sections and click OK. When the scan is complete, verify the backup box in lower left corner is checked and click the select all button, then select all again. Then right click within the search results and select delete. Run it again and again, deleting everything it finds until it finds nothing. Reboot and make sure your programs are working properly, control panel and add/remove programs windows open, etc (basically just do a quick check of everything). In the event anything was 'broken', you can open RegSeeker, click backups and double click any/all files to put the information back. A reboot may be required for the effects to be seen. Reboot When done.

Post what it is like after this.
GaryOR-LFC, you need to be careful of recommending any register fixes without backing up the register first

Before runnimg Regseeker

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe
Oh, Sorry mate, I will be more careful next time, Thanks for letting me know. :) and sorry Nimsha it wont happen again, I'm just new to helping now.
ya, I made a backup and also cleaned the registry ^_^ I'm going to check that link out right now, and I'll double post on the progress EDIT: Been there, done that, still doesn't work.
Hi, We sometimes get customers bringing in their computers with this problem, and usually the solutions that have been suggested, here on the forum do the trick. Just occasionally a machine for some reason (that we don't know about) doesn't respond, some customers take the view."so what, my desktop is only visible for a few seconds before I start my daily tasks" and they decide they will live with it! Others have gone so far as to reinstall the operating system! We find that the problem generally only presents when a desktop has an "Image as a background rather than just a colour" (which for example could include "Bliss") and we believe this may be an attempt by Microsoft to ensure that the Text underneath the icon is readable, despite the background of the desktop directly under the text being difficult for easy legibility. If you are happy to have your desktop background a colour, rather than an image then there is a solution, if not you will need to experiment with the settings under desktop properties. The permutations here are numerous so if you can't live with what you have at the moment and the thought of a simple coloured desktop without an image is also unacceptable, you will need a bit of patience to come up with the solution, and we can offer no further guidance. To solve the problem by changing your desktop to a solid colour, do this: 1 Right click a section of unused desktop 2 Click on Properties 3 Click on Desktop 4 Under Background select "None" 5 Under colour, select (to your taste.) 6 Click on OK Your system will pause for a short while and the problem should be solved. Regards paws
Sorry to jump in here, not seen you mention this… but have you tried resetting the windows theme to default? I know it will mean having to reset colours and wallpaper too though. Maybe worth a try if nothing else will work

Go to start menu -> select run -> type in the following - desk.cpl
Make sure you have the themes tab open (should open up with this by default)
In the pulldown options for theme, select the one entitled Windows XP
Press the apply button
Press the OK button

See if you have any luck that way

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI