svchost.exe and explorer.exe using too much ram
40 min read
HJT….
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:40:49 PM, on 1/7/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb11.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\digital imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Product Assistant\bin\hprblog.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.comcast.net/toolbar2.0/search/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.comcast.net/toolbar2.0/search/
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Comcast Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-93BE-BE2DF4D9AE29} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMCAS~1\COMCAS~1.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: Comcast Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-93BE-BE2DF4D9AE29} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMCAS~1\COMCAS~1.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCPitstop Optimize Registration Reminder] C:\Program Files\PCPitstop\Optimize\Reminder.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PC Pitstop Optimize Scheduler] C:\Program Files\PCPitstop\Optimize\PCPOptimize.exe -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon06] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb11.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\digital imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: HP Port Resolver - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpbpro.exe
O23 - Service: HP Status Server - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpboid.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
and AVG safemode….
———————————————————
AVG Anti-Spyware - Scan Report
———————————————————
+ Created at: 9:33:41 PM 1/7/2007
+ Scan result:
C:\Documents and Settings\backupAccount\Cookies\backupaccount@msnportal.112.2o7[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.
:mozilla.21:C:\Documents and Settings\backupAccount\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\x99xae2d.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Atdmt : Cleaned.
:mozilla.23:C:\Documents and Settings\backupAccount\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\x99xae2d.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Doubleclick : Cleaned.
:mozilla.15:C:\Documents and Settings\backupAccount\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\x99xae2d.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Hitbox : Cleaned.
:mozilla.16:C:\Documents and Settings\backupAccount\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\x99xae2d.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Hitbox : Cleaned.
:mozilla.17:C:\Documents and Settings\backupAccount\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\x99xae2d.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Hitbox : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\backupAccount\Cookies\[removed][1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Hitbox : Cleaned.
:mozilla.22:C:\Documents and Settings\backupAccount\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\x99xae2d.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Mediaplex : Cleaned.
:mozilla.25:C:\Documents and Settings\backupAccount\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\x99xae2d.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Tribalfusion : Cleaned.
:mozilla.26:C:\Documents and Settings\backupAccount\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\x99xae2d.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Tribalfusion : Cleaned.
:mozilla.27:C:\Documents and Settings\backupAccount\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\x99xae2d.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Tribalfusion : Cleaned.
:mozilla.28:C:\Documents and Settings\backupAccount\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\x99xae2d.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Tribalfusion : Cleaned.
:mozilla.29:C:\Documents and Settings\backupAccount\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\x99xae2d.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Tribalfusion : Cleaned.
:mozilla.30:C:\Documents and Settings\backupAccount\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\x99xae2d.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Tribalfusion : Cleaned.
:mozilla.31:C:\Documents and Settings\backupAccount\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\x99xae2d.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Tribalfusion : Cleaned.
:mozilla.53:C:\Documents and Settings\backupAccount\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\x99xae2d.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Tribalfusion : Cleaned.
::Report end
Log looks good, all AVG found where cookies. It looks like we got rid of all the bad stuff. If you are up to it, run the free online virus scanner from Panda, it shows alot that may not being showing on your log. We have come this far, lets make sure there all gone.
It's important that I see the log so copy and paste it into your next reply.
Panda ActiveScan <—-Accept default settings
As far as your printer, all I see is the file that I asked you to delete. If it won't go away then you may have to contact Lexmark and ask them about removing there software.
Keep in mind that the reason all this garbage is called Malware is because its short for Malicious software. Sometimes even when we clean it from your system, it may have left some damage.
Let me see the Panda log and if all is well I have some free programs for you to install to help block most of this garbage from being installed.
- Go to Start> Run and type in services.msc then press Enter
- Scroll down to LexBce Server
- Double Click that service to open it.
- Click on Stop Service.
- Then change the Startup Type to Disabled.
- OK your way out of the program.
Remove this line with HJT if its still present
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
Then delete this file
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
Post a new HJT log and let me know how things are running now.
Bob,
Log looks good, all AVG found where cookies. It looks like we got rid of all the bad stuff. If you are up to it, run the free online virus scanner from Panda, it shows alot that may not being showing on your log. We have come this far, lets make sure there all gone.
It's important that I see the log so copy and paste it into your next reply.
Panda ActiveScan <—-Accept default settings
Good Morining Ken,
I want to thank you so much for the help so far. Couele of things I would like help on I wanted to mention before I get started. Eventually I would like to get McAfee back on my system after I am fully clean, but McAfee also require not to have any online AV scannars, Spybot Search & Destroy, Lavasoft Adaware, and I think any AVG programs installed on my system. I would not mind doing a scan with panda, but if I recall correctly, it does put some tools on your system so that you do not have to reinstall them again. So when I do this Panda scan would you be able to help me with removing all of the links related to Panda when we are finished with it? I will wait for your reply.
Also, I have already removed Spybot Search & Destroy, Lavasoft Adaware, CCleaner (but would like to reinstall that after McAfee is installed), Spy something Blaster ( its the tool that adds a bunch of known websites that are malicious and and puts it in your restricted zone which blocks them from putting a cookie in your cookies).
As far as your printer, all I see is the file that I asked you to delete. If it won't go away then you may have to contact Lexmark and ask them about removing there software.
Actually, I found something on the internet that said there are 2 files, and you have to delete them in safe mode.
Also, I have not done much since you have poisted. After I did that AVG scan in safe mode, I went to watch a movie and then went to bed. So I will get back to you shotly with whats going on with the Admintrator account
again, thanks so much for the help so far.
1. Right-Click on My Computer
2. Select - Manage
3. Select - Local Users and Groups
4. Select - Users
5. Select - Administrator
6. Double-Click Administrator
I cannot find Local Users and Groups. The furthest I got to was Step 2.
Bob,
The Panda scan is just a online scanner, we can just remove the 04 entry from HJT and it will be gone.
Ok, great. but there is one problem. When I click on the Panda Active Scan, it pops-up a smaller window for me to put in what country I live in, State, and email. I put that in and clicked on the "Free online scan" button. Next, a new page loads up and tells me to click in the yellow bar and choose install ActiveX now. I do that and an even smaller new window pops-up and its an Ad to purchase Panda Scanner for $19.95. So I first tried closing the ad window, and the warning Install dialog opens up and I click on the install button. Then that dialog box closes and then the other window that gives me the instructions on how to install the ActiveX tool reloads to a new page saying that there was an error. Possible reasons are
Not allowing the application's ActiveX control to be downloaded.
Problems with the Internet connection.
The error could be due to a download error or an installation error due to lack of hard disk space, privileges etc.,…
… so then I thought well maybe it is just an Ad but you have to keep it open while you wait for the installation is complete kind of window. So I let it stayed open for about 5 mins and nothing happens. So then I thopught well maybe I am suppose to click on the ad, but all that brought me to was a new pop-up to purchase Panda. So I then just closed that window and the Install warning pops-up again and I clicked on install, but I still get the above error.
Maybe its because I only have 3.77 Gigs of hardrive space? My hardrive has 2 partitions C:\ & D:\ thats why the c:\ drive is so low
All the programs that you are removing are the ones we suggest you use to keep you more secure, they should not conflict with Mcafee.
yes I know, but do keep in mind that I am mostly referring to when I am installing McAfee. However, most definate, Adaware and that Spy something blaster tool cannot be installed at all when installing or running McAfee programs. From What I was told System Guard has a crisses when Adaware is installed, and because McAfee has a cookie tracing blocker tool, using that Blaster tool with Mcafee is like running To AV's at the same time.
As far as the logon, I will have to do more research on this, be back to you on it when I find out more.
ok thanks. Also I did a search with the quotes "Local Users and Groups" and I found a site saying that this is for XP Pro, whereas I have XP Home.
Right-Click on My Computer
Double-Click to Select - Manage
Double-Click to Select - Local Users and Groups
[external image: Posted Image]
Double-Click to Select - Users
[external image: Posted Image]
Double-Click to Select - Administrator
The Administrator Panel should be relatively "blank"
It's "Description should read:
"Built-in account for administering the computer/domain"
the "only" box that should have a checkmark/tick appearing in it should be:
"Password Never Expires"
[external image: Posted Image]
there are two additional (tabs)
Member of
and
Profile
Member of, should have "only" Administrators as an entry
Profile, should have a "dot" in the radio dial for: Local Path
No other entries should appear on the Profile (tab) panel.
[external image: Posted Image]
Anyhow, after rebooting to my custom made adminstrator account I was able to do a scan which I am doing now. However, in the mean time here is my HJT, and btw the images you showed me on the tutorial does not match to what mine looks like. I would put an image here but it seems that I can only attach url images, and I do not want to be playing with my personal accounts, considering that I can see that while Panda is scanning, it already has found that my computer is still infected. When it is finished I will report back the Panda log.
Also if you cannot figure out about the administrator account, don't go pulling your hairs out trying to dig for something. I was more concerned about how it was recreated possibly by the hacker, and just giving you info before we finish cleaning up the computer, I wanted to also deal with making sure that account is clean as well. After reading some documents, I found some info that it is very simple to infect that account because when you install windows the password is set to a simple default password. Then again, I could not find anything for fixing this problem with XP Home Edition.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:03:54 PM, on 1/8/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb11.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\digital imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Product Assistant\bin\hprblog.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.comcast.net/toolbar2.0/search/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.comcast.net/toolbar2.0/search/
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Comcast Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-93BE-BE2DF4D9AE29} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMCAS~1\COMCAS~1.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: Comcast Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-93BE-BE2DF4D9AE29} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMCAS~1\COMCAS~1.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCPitstop Optimize Registration Reminder] C:\Program Files\PCPitstop\Optimize\Reminder.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PC Pitstop Optimize Scheduler] C:\Program Files\PCPitstop\Optimize\PCPOptimize.exe -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon06] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb11.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\digital imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: HP Port Resolver - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpbpro.exe
O23 - Service: HP Status Server - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpboid.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
also, I never did anything with the printer yet considering that is the least of my worries for now
Your log looks fine
You can look over my previous posts and remove Lexmark and I am going to give you links to some windows support sites that can help you get your accounts back in order.
If you have your windows CD, try this.
- Click Start>Run
- Type in sfc /scannow, hit Enter.
- Note: there is a space between sfc and /scannow
- This should replace any corrupted/missing system files and will hopefully fix things.
You may need your XP disc in your CD drive for this.
Close any instance of Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer.
- Go to Start> Control Panel> Internet Options . You should be on the General Tab
- Delete Cookies
- Delete Files > and offline content as well
- Then go to the Programs Tab and Reset Web Settings
You will have to do this in Safemode
- Go to My Computer/ C: Drive/ Documents and Settings/ Every User on this Computer /Local Settings and delete all the contents of the Temp Folder and the Temporary Internet Files Folder <–Just the contents, not the folder itself.
- Go to My Computer/ C:/ Windows/ Temp and delete all the contents of the Temp Folder <– But not the temp folder itself.
- Go to My Computer/ C:/ Windows/ Prefetch and remove all the contents of the Prefetch Folder. <–But not the Prefetch folder itself.
I think this is as far as I can go, all the malware appears gone.
Windows Tech Support Forums
Tom Coyote <– Our own forum
PcPitStop <– You can take your system in for a checkup here.
Bleeping Computer <–Good XP Forum
Windows Helpnet <– Excellent XP Forum
Hardwareguys <– Another good one
IE Freezes
It's Not Always Malware
Speedup Windows
TechBuilder
Windows Tips
Techruler
Kellys Korner
How did I get infected in the first place ? Read these links and find out how to prevent getting infected again.
- Tutorial for System Restore <– Do this first to prevent yourself from being reinfected.
- Tom Coyote
- TonyKlein CastleCops
- Grinler BleepingComputer
- Geeks To Go
- Dslreports
Here are some free programs to install, don't leave home without them
- Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4
Check for Updates/ Immunize and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis.
- Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06
Check for Updates and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis.
- Spyware Blaster It will prevent most spyware from ever being installed.
- Spyware Guard It offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
- Win Patrol This program will warn you when any changes are being made to your system and give you the option to deny the change.
- IE-Spyad
IE-Spyad places over 4000 web sites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
- Firefox 2.0 It has more features and is a lot more secure than IE. It is a very easy and painless download and install, it will no way interfere with IE, you can use them both.
- Zone Alarm Here is a free Firewall from Zone Labs, I wouldn't access the internet without it.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:03:35 PM, on 1/10/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb11.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\digital imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Product Assistant\bin\hprblog.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcusrmgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcupdmgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mclogsrv.exe
c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mctskshd.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\EmProxy\emproxy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\VIRUSS~1\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
c:\program files\mcafee\msc\mcuimgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.comcast.net/toolbar2.0/search/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.comcast.net/toolbar2.0/search/
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Comcast Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-93BE-BE2DF4D9AE29} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMCAS~1\COMCAS~1.DLL
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\scriptcl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Comcast Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-93BE-BE2DF4D9AE29} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMCAS~1\COMCAS~1.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCPitstop Optimize Registration Reminder] C:\Program Files\PCPitstop\Optimize\Reminder.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PC Pitstop Optimize Scheduler] C:\Program Files\PCPitstop\Optimize\PCPOptimize.exe -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon06] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb11.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\digital imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/…935/mcfscan.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: McAfee Application Installer Cleanup (0227941168448072) (0227941168448072mcinstcleanup) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\DOCUME~1\BACKUP~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\022794~1.EXE
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee E-mail Proxy (Emproxy) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\EmProxy\emproxy.exe
O23 - Service: HP Port Resolver - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpbpro.exe
O23 - Service: HP Status Server - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpboid.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee HackerWatch Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Log Manager (McLogManagerService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mclogsrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Update Manager (mcmispupdmgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Protection Manager (mcpromgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Redirector Service (McRedirector) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (mctskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee User Manager (mcusrmgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcusrmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI