This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Web Cam Problem With XP

19 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello :) I hope I'm posting in the right place, this is my first post here. My problem is this; I have a web cam that I use with family and friends, it's a Logitech QuickCam Chat camera. I have used their web cam before with Win 98 with no problem, but now with Win XP I can't seem to get it to show a clear image. I have tried 3 different web cams on this computer with the same result. I have tried the focus ring and all the various settings to no avail. There seems to be a lot of pixelation and it's not clear at all. Someone suggested it might be my video card, but I can see other video and family members' web cam images perfectly clearly, but they all complain that the image from my cam is very poor. Some of my family members use the exact same model of camera with no problems. Would anyone have a suggestion of what else I might try? Thank you so much. shanda
Hi Shanda, When you hooked up your Logitech WebCam to your XP machine, did you install the Logitech Software? I >do not< recommend using the Logitech Software. Just the WebCam alone plugged into a USB port will work fine with most IM softwares such as AIM, Yahoo IM and MSN IM. No additional software necessary. Question(s): This "XP" machine that you've now connected to…. 1. How old is it? 2. How many USB ports are you presently using? 3. How many USB ports are available? 4. Are you using any USB port "hub" multipliers? 5. Is your XP machine providing USB 2.0 or is it perhaps only the older 1.1? If you are stuck with 1.1, you may have "decreased" camera performance. But you can purchase a USB PCI card to add USB 2.0 capability to the machine for about $19.00 (US) Take a look in your Device Manager for any yellow or red warnings near the USB items. If you find any warnings, "remove" the identified item's "driver" and reboot to allow XP to reacquire the hardware and reinstall the driver. I'd strongly suggest that your "uninstall" all Logitech software via Control Panel - Add/Remove. "After" successfully uninstalling Logitech software, you can safely "delete" any remnant files found in C:\Program Files\(Logitech) If you happen to also be using a logitech mouse or keyboard, you'll have to discriminate which softwares to uninstall, but similar to the above, both Logitech mouse and keyboard will function adequately without the associated Logitech Software…….. maybe even better. Please supply the requested information, or if you now have enough ideas to proceed on your own, please post back with your successful results so that other Members can learn from your experience. Best Regards
Wow dough ! I can't thank you enough for your response. And so fast too! This is the FIRST solid advice I've been given other than "your computer must suck". While that may be true it really doesn't help much eh ;) Yes I did install the Logitech Software that came with the cam. My XP machine is approx. 1 year old. It has six USB ports, four in the back, two in the front. Two are in use with the webcam and a Logitech mouse. I am not using a USB port hub multiplier. (I don't even know what that is:) ) This XP machine provides USB 2.0 according to the specs. I did not realize the cam would even work without the provided software and I will remove that now and hopefully get somewhat better quality video for my family. My daughter's grandmother will be SO happy if we can improve on this. Thank you again! shanda
Hi Shanda, Well I'm glad you find the recommendations useful. Time and your hard work will now tell. Please also know that XP requires more "resources" all by itself, just to run Windows, so minimums are higher than for your prior Win98 machine. For instance, Win XP calls for 384mb of RAM…….. just to run. That means if your have 256mb RAM, then Windows and all your other applications are "time-sharing" your RAM resources, and probably relying on "virtual memory" - SwapFile memory using your Hard Drive to simulate RAM. Or if you have 512mb RAM, then you only have 128mb RAM available for use with your applications. I have a machine running XP on 512mb RAM, with an Intel WebCam and it's displaying good quality. Supposedly, Video Quality shouldn't rely exclusively on RAM, but low system resources can cause all kinds of less than desireable things to happen. In the event that uninstalling all of your Logitech software (yes, your mouse will run without it too) doesn't improve the situation, then I'd want to have a look at the applications and processes that start from boot. You can find them in your System Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG) - StartUp(tab). And then, yes, I'd consider what Video Graphic adapter you have running, and what acceleration settings you have presently set. You might also find that the specific USB Port that you plug into may make a difference. For instance, even though the USB Ports in the front of the machine are "convenient", many users find that they have more difficulty with peripheral devices when plugged in the front than when plugged in the back. Play around a little and see if one USB Port gives you better display. (reason - The camera is "powered" from the USB Port and voltages vary - or even different plugs may be better/cleaner.) Good luck Best Regards, Doug
Hi Doug, So I did remove the Logitech software and installed only the drivers for the cam. There is some improvement in quality which is great! This machine has 1 gig of ram so I imagine that is more than enough to run a webcam. I have always had it plugged into one of the USB ports in the back of the machine rather than the front, because I'd rather have the cord out of my way. I looked at the System Information and found this regarding the video adaptor: Adapter Type RADEON 9200 SE AGP (0x5964), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible Adapter Description RADEON 9200 SE Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes) So I hope that is at least adequate. On a side note I also looked into the System Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG) - StartUp(tab) as you suggested and managed to stop FOUR other programs from starting up when I turn on the computer. I always close these four programs anyway and it was driving me nuts! I tried to change this in each program's preferences but to no avail. Now they no longer start unless I want them to. So you also helped me with that problem as I had no idea how to stop them before. Thank you again! :) While there is some improvement in quality it's still not as good as I used to get on a Win98 computer with a much cheaper cam. It may be that this particular cam is just a lemon. I have asked around in a few other forums I found and was never able to get any help with this. I just found this forum yesterday and you've helped me tremendously and I thank you so much. shanda
Hi Shanda,

Let's get a better look at how that machine is currently performing.
Please Run a PCPitstop Full Test and post the Results via TechExpress Link
http://www.pcpitstop.com
This is a well respected test used by experts all around the net.
You will be asked to register with a valid email address.
As you begin the Full Test, you will be asked to accept an ActiveX to allow your machine to run the tests.
Both registration and ActiveX from PCPitstop are safe. The Full Test is free.
Post the TechExpress Link back into this thread here at TomCoyote.
We'll then be able to give you more informed recommendations.

Best Regards
Hello Doug :)

First of all I have to say I can't even believe the help you are giving me here, and for FREE too! This Forum is incredible.

I did as you asked and here is the link I got for the TechExpress:

TechExpress link for your current results:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=7WA7FWDFCDWSALDJ


I also want to add that I purchased a program from a link on this forum, XSoftSpySE and when I bought that they gave me another program, RegCure, for free. When I ran that I had over 900 errors in my registry!! Holy!! Anyway, they are fixed now :)


Thank you

shanda
Hi Shanda,

Word of CAUTION !!!

I don't think TomCoyote endorses the product you say you purchased.

TC does allow Google Ads, but Google is in charge of what items it rotates through the ad presentations.

It is never a safe idea to "click" on web advertisement, nor to purchase products which offer to help you with urgent problems.

Neither is the Registry Cleaner a program that I'm familiar with.
Again…… possibly dangerous to your machine and your internet security.

is it possible that you "mis-typed" the name of the product.
There is a product called "XoftSpySE" which is a misleading and possibly dangerous product, which displays "false-positives" in order to goad potential buyers into using and buying the product.

Let's review your security baseline and make sure you're using reliable and safe products.

I am sorry that you encountered this product in association with TomCoyote.
WebSites like ours often agree to advertisement to be displayed in order to generate revenue to support the site. Unfortunately TC has little or no control over which products get advertized and TC does not receive the money that your spent buying the product. Instead, TC receives a tiny flat-fee for allowing advertising of whatever products Google Ads choses to display.

Seems "ironic" that you could get a bad product from advertizing displayed on a help site.
Unfortunately, it happens all the time.

We should talk about "Safe Surfing" and the hazards of trying out advertised products without knowing what they are.

Please consider discontinuing the use of these products until I am able to verify additional information about them.

Best Regards

***EDIT: Yes you do have "XoftSpySE" installed on your machine (per your Pit test results)
XoftSpySE is considered to be a "false and misleading" product of dubious value and possibly hazardous effect.
It is known to generate false positives.
"false positives work as goad to purchase; same app as XoftSpy (please read this note about XoftSpy);"

It is also known to have been produced by "copying" another well-known and legitimate product. This practice is known as "creating a Knock-off", by which the rogue company steals the technical expertise of the legitimate product, then relabels it to get the profits. This is vandalism and copywrite piracy of the worst sort.

I'd immediately uninstall the product (both of them) then I'd cancel my credit card purchase or file a protest if the company refuses a refund. All major credit card companies have a purchase-challenge review procedure. Please use it if necessary.

You already have the excellent Ad-Aware SE which is the legitimate product that XoftSpy is 'pirating'
Ad-Aware is well recommended and an excellent product for detecting spyware.
Update your copy of Ad-Aware, run it, allow it to remove all items that it detects.

You already have the excellent Spybot Search & Destroy which is also legitimate and excellent for detecting and removing spyware. Unfortunately your version of Spybot S&E is terribly out of date. You need to Uninstall your current version of Spybot and then download, install, update and run the new Spybot S&E version 1.4 which you can obtain, here: (for free)
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Dest…mp;subj=dl&
and read about, here:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Spybot S&D "requests" but does not require a "donation". Most folks use it free. It's up to you.
But get it now, install it, update it, run it, and allow it to remove all items it detects!

You already have the legitimate Registry Mechanic 6.0 PC Tools which competently provides all the features that the "bogus" RegCure claims to provide.

Note: The description of RegCure as "bogus" is my personal opinion, and TC is not responsible for my private thoughts and personal opinions regarding products that I recommend or recommend against.
RegCure "is" sponsored by a few legitimate websites, but also spends a lot of its time at less than reputable sites. Your choice. I'd uninstall it instantly!

Note: I am a volunteer here at TC, just like all the other members, none of whom receive any compensation for their volunteer work. I am not associated in any business way with any product that I might choose to recommend for your use and computer safety.
Further, TomCoyote does not influence or attempt to influence my recommendations, except to the extent that TomCoyote would ban my membership and volunteer status if I were to post false or misleading information that was hazardous to a user/Members machine or security.


Note: Xoft products have been "de-listed" from the rogue-suspect designation because it has made some corrections in its business practices which satisfied the prior complaints. HOWEVER, "delistig" does not imply a favorable endorsement. I'd still uninstall it and ask/demand a refund.
Thanks so much Doug! Normally I'm pretty careful about those programs, but honestly I thought if it was advertised here it must be good. I see now that is not always the case. I will do as you say and I'm glad now that I mentioned it!
I'm still reviewing your PCPitstop Full Test. You still have Logitech Software installed on your machine. Please consider using Add/Remove to uninstall all Logitech Software. If Logitech does not appear in Add/Remove, then please navigate to C:\Program Files\Logitech to investigate whether or not Logitech provides its own "uninstall utility" in your situation. (Logitech is "legitimate" but may not be necessary, and may be contributing to your current difficulties with image display quality.) I'll get back to you shortly. From my first glance at the Results, there are some further steps that may benefit your machine's performance. Best Regards
Hi Shanda,

You have a nice machine there.

Please follow the PCPitstop Recommendations:
- Defragment files (Drive C) <——— very important
- Adjust IE browser cache size <———somewhat important
- Adjust Receive Buffer Size <——— very important

Please notice on the "Windows" results page, the items with Purple and Gray background can all be disaled via MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab)

Disable all purple and grey items, especially the INCD item. (used to facilitate reading and writing of re-writeable CD) very few people use this feature and it is a huge resource hog. Do you use it?

You have a "remnant item" of Webroot SpySweeper. Webroot is a highly Excellent antiSpyware product, but you seem to have uninstalled it, but left a "component" of it.

If Webroot or SpySweeper does not appear in Add/Remove, please let me know and I'll walk you through removing this item manually.
______________________

Please notice the performance rating of your Video Graphics Card RADEON 9200 SE —- 65%
That's terrible, and you're only getting 59 MP/s (that's million pixels per second) terrible!

That Video Card may be the primary root case of your WebCam problem.

Three possiblilities:
The Driver is corrupt
The Driver needs to be updated
The Card is physically failing

Please go to Device Manager - Display Adapter
Is there any yellow or red warning signs there?

You can get the correct Catalyst Driver for Radeon 9200SE, here:
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeon-prer300-xp.html

Download the driver and follow the instructions from that sight.

It "is" important to completely uninstall the old driver version before installing the fresh copy.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Best Regards
Hi Doug! Sorry for the delay getting back to you, I've been working 12 hour shifts, but here I am, back again ;) I've been working on fixing the things you mentioned. No I never use that INCD thing for rewritable CDs. I burn a CD once in awhile, that's all. So I have disabled that along with some other unneeded items. Spysweeper does not appear in the "Add/Remove" and I can't imagine why I removed it in the first place, but it seems I did. I have downloaded the updated drivers for the graphics card as you suggested and I have read the instructions but to be honest, this makes me very nervous. If you remove the old drivers for the graphics card will the computer still work? At least long enough to install the new ones? I guess it does since people update drivers all the time eh. Also it wants me to go into the registry and remove things which makes me VERY nervous. The screen shots they show for Add/Remove for the ATI items doesn't look anything like what I have so that's why it concerns me. I have asked their support for help on why this is so but they just referred me back to the installation instructions. Thank you again for trying to help me. I have found even the few things I've done so far has already made a big improvement in how the computer runs, specially when starting up I don't have all those programs in the task bar anymore :) Thank you so much for your patience with me. shanda
Hey Shanda, I'm glad you are making progress. Yes, you will still be able to use your computer, and the screen will still display your desktop and you will still be able to browse the internet etc. even after you've completed the steps to completely uninstall the Driver for your Radeon 9200 series Video Card. (note: they give you "reading" instructions to follow during the steps, expecting that you'll still be able to continue reading after you uninstall the driver and continute with the complete uninstall/cleaning procedures. Guess they couldn't expect you to read their instructions if your Monitor Screen was going to go blank.) (don't worry about it. Quite a few folks ask that question) I do however, highly recommend that you "print out" the instructions for easy reference and pencil notation as you proceed. I think it's worth the paper and ink. The link I gave you requires a few more "clicks" before you get to your Card's actual download, uninstall instructions, and install instructions. These few more clicks include "registering" your card and allowing Radeon to assist you in selecting your Operating System, Card, and Driver, so you are sure to get the correct one. (select the driver that includes Catalyst and that uses .net framework) I do understand people's reluctance to enter and edit the Registry. We're actually pretty cautious here at TC with recommendations that involve Registry Editing. Personally, I perform the Registry Edit steps on my own machine(s) before recommending that a Member follow such steps. (Yes, I've performed all the steps recommended by Radeon) Then personally, I make sure that the instructions for the steps contain "all" the information that the Member will need. Then personally, I sometimes ask another expert to review my work and recommendation before proceeding. In this case, lots of experts have reviewed the Radeon steps. Still, you may not want to perform those instructions yourself. You may have a more knowledgeable friend that you would trust to do the procedures for you with you sitting by to watch, or you might just want to take your machine into a local shop and hire the work done. Your Choice. Once you get through the Radeon steps for selecting your Operating System and Card, you will have a series of instructions that include "screen shots" These screen shots will be appropriate for your specific driver. Keep us posted with your progress. (others are learning and will learn by reading my posts and your posted experience with this procedure) They'll learn, even if you decide to have someone else do the procedures. And Remember - It's your machine and you ultimately decide what gets done to it, and what doesn't. Best Regards
Hi Doug Thanks again! Your help has been invaluable to me. I have tried other help forums and have never had anyone even remotely try to help me as you have. Personally I don't feel secure enough to do this myself so I think I'll take it to the computer shop and ask them to do this for me. I also did a driver scan at Pitstop and found that 50% of the drivers on my computer are out of date, including the one you recommended. The ONLY one I felt confident to do on my own was the printer driver update and that was successful. I feel like a real geek now eh ;) So since there are so many that need updating and I don't feel knowlegable enough to mess around with the registry myself, I'd rather pay someone to do it. I will let you know when it's all done. I would not even have thought of checking on that if you hadn't told me about the driver being outdated, so thank you for that! I'm sure the Administrators here know what a great asset you are to the team, but I'd sure like to add my comment to any record they may keep: Doug is amazing and I've never received the help that he has given me from any other Forum or tech support. I will happily be making a donation to this Forum because of him. Thank you.
You are very kind Shanda.
And thank you for any donation you may be able to make to TomCoyote Forums.
We are all volunteers here, but the very existence of the Forum board costs money that is largely raised from thoughtful Members like yourself.

About the other Drivers………..
The driver scan that you used at PCPitstop is a legitimate service, but let's hold up and think about this for a minute….

The developers of devices and peripherals are always wanting to come up with a "better mouse-trap".
Mostly it's a "competative" thing……. keeping up with other manufacturer's and trying to have something new to talk about/promote.
Sometimes an "update" is "required" as when a new Operating System comes out.
Then "drivers" that used to work on a Win98 machine, may not work on a Win XP machine.
Occasionally, driver updates "fix" some known problem that users have been encountering.
But most of the time updates for drivers have very little impact on the actual functioning of an owner/user's machine.

This is only my opinion, but I recommend you follow the old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't be fixin' on it."
Drive Update scanners like the one you used at PCPitstop will "always" find a few drivers on your machine that "could" be updated.
But again, if the device or peripheral is already working just fine, then the owner/user may be asking for trouble by making changes, even when the change is "labeled" an "update" and is "supposed" to be good for you.

You "are" having difficulty with Video functioning of your machine, even if it is only noticeable in the performance of your WebCam. Therefore it is "prudent" to make the "update" on your Video Card.

Save yourself the time/expense and maybe "headaches" when it comes to the other drivers.
Unless something isn't working the way you want it to work…… forget about updating the associated driver.

Best Regards,
Doug

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI