This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Screen Saver

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I can't get the screen saver to start up unless I lower the time setting to one minute. I just want it to power off the monitors in the evenings when I'm donw with the PC. It runs 24/7. Something is moving the focus from one window to another or just off of an open window. You can see different programs take the focus from another window if you sit and watch the screen for a couple of minutes. Because of this, the screen saver doesn't think the PC is inactive and never turns on. The only way I can get the monitors to power down for the night is to change the power off setting to one minute and then it will shut down the monitors. A friend is having the same problem. we have a couple of the same programs installed but we've both tried uninstalling them, hoping one might be the cause, but no joy! I've already had the HJT log checked in the other forum. TIA

You can see different programs take the focus from another window

A friend is having the same problem. we have a couple of the same programs installed but we've both tried uninstalling them


Specifically what programs?
One was NewsBin, a newsreader, which I have since uninstalled and I don't recall the other, which is also long gone. I'd have to have a long discussion with him to see what other common programs we have but off the top of my head the only thing I know for certain we share is MS Office.
Ordinarily what interupts ScreenSaver is "input devices" e.g. mouse, keyboard, NIC. Software that interacts with Websites for Tracking purposes can create "input". For instance, your NewsReader "may" but probably doesn't create input. Some Investment Tracking program "might" create input. Some P2P utilities create "input" when networked P2P users "scan" for files available on your machine. I'd be most suspicious of "physical" input. Speakers near an optical mouse can create enough vibration to cause movement of the mouse cursor. Vibration from passing traffic "might" do the same. Doors slamming, people walking up stairways? Fluctuation of electrical power? If you are a gamer, you might have your mouse sensitivity elevated for rapid interaction with online games. If you have a very good optical mouse and have it setup for minute sensitivity. Does that apply to you? If I've gone too far afield for your consideration, please don't think all of TC Members have weird ideas. There are actually some very sensible people here at TC. I just let my imagination go afield, since this is an unlikely problem with a wide range of considerations. Best Regards
Do you have infraRed or BlueTooth input devices? Especially if you are in an apartment setting, electronic emissions from neighbors could have an impact. It is not unheard of for an optical mouse from another machine to interact with your machine.
Thanks, Doug but I don't think any of your scenarios fit the problem. I do use Azureus but this happens even when it's not loaded. No investment software here … unless you'd care to loan me some seed money! :D I don't run audio enough for that to be a consideration although when I do, it is loud. I am a guitar and bass player. It's a pretty solid building. Vibrations aren't the problem. Power could be a problem but I have a high end power conditioner and voltage regulator from my audiophile/geek days and it doesn't have any effect on the screen saver. I do have an optical mouse but sensitivity is set at the default/middle of the sensitivity spectrum. Weird works for me so no need to apologize!

Do you have infraRed or BlueTooth input devices?
Especially if you are in an apartment setting, electronic emissions from neighbors could have an impact.
It is not unheard of for an optical mouse from another machine to interact with your machine.


No bluetooth or infrared devices other than TV remotes and those were in the room without affecting the PC long before this problem arose.

I do live in an apartment but the neighbors on either side do not have computers (oh, the humanity!) and the one across the hall is still using a wired mouse.

I've even gone so far as to use TweakUI and ticked the "Prevent other applications from stealing focus" box but it doesn'thelp.
I'm pretty sure this one will rumble around in my poor little brain for a few more days and I'll post back if I think of any other possibilities. If you find the solution, please post back to put me out of my misery. :scratch:

What do you mean by this?

moving the focus from one window to another


Like a window actually appears in front of the one that was on top?

No, if multiple windows are open they will stay in the same positions but one will become highlighted while the woindow originally being used dims a bit. It just bounces from one window to another application. For example, right now I have IE, Outlook and Azureus open. If I stop typing for a minute or two, Outlook or Azureus will highlight and I have to click on IE to take back control or continue typing.
Have you Updated your Windows Operating System to the latest at MS Updates?
________________________________

After you do that, Run SystemFileChecker

Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - Enter (notice the "space" between the "c" and "/"
_________________________

This could be related to Windows Shell API Notifier (a mouse click function)

Consider Uninstalling your mouse driver software.
If you have a third-party mouse software driver presently installed, consider allowing Windows to supply a Mouse driver automatically.

Or Re-install a fresh copy of the third-party mouse driver.

(can you tell I'm grasping at straws?)

You and your friend with the same problem, may not even have the same mouse/software combination, but it's easy, safe and probably worth a try.
Here's the link to his HJT log
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?show…c=73751&hl=

I don't know about the settings for these.

C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.EXE
C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoServer.exe

This one I don't know much about either. The line doesn't google, but I can't tell you if it's good or bad.
C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageWorkstation\TrueImageMonitor.exe

I think it's this:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Have you Updated your Windows Operating System to the latest at MS Updates?
________________________________

After you do that, Run SystemFileChecker

Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - Enter (notice the "space" between the "c" and "/"
_________________________

I have all the latest updates.

Running SystemFileChecker is a problem. My XP Pro is an early disc without SP1 or SP2 on it and SFC wants me to insert my XP Pro SP2 disc.

Any solutions to this slight problem?

Here's the link to his HJT log
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?show…c=73751&hl=

I don't know about the settings for these.

C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.EXE
C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoServer.exe

This one I don't know much about either. The line doesn't google, but I can't tell you if it's good or bad.
C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageWorkstation\TrueImageMonitor.exe

I think it's this:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

The first program is either ralated to the ATI video drivers or the ATI Catalyst Control Panel.

The second file is a Tivo desktop file that allows tranfers of video back and forth between the PC and Tivo.

Acronis is my daily drive image backup program.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI