This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

/sfc scannow

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I try running sfc/scannow and it asks to copy files from professional xp.I have home edition that is installed Also I try to update from microsoft and im told the sql server isnt installed.I used MSBA and it said that the sql servers wernt installed to do the update. Please help anyone
Still having problems getting your machine to Run system file checker?

Often this is the result of someone else, (the manufacturer) taking short-cuts when installing the operating system. Specifically, in a mad rush to provide only the minimums that a user will need, original equipment manufacturers often populate the dllcache with only a partial list of the various operating system components. Thus when SFC "looks" for an original file to replace a missing or corrupted file, it's not there. This used to make "some sense" in the days of smaller Hard Drives, when conservation of space was an issue, but with todays larger hard drives, it is no longer a realistic problem. Still some OEM's still install the minimum.

You can "fix" that dllcache problem if it happens to be your situation, as follows:

Insert your XP CD into your CD ROM and locate the folder called:
I386
This is a major folder and should be one of the first you see.
Next:
Copy the contents of the entire i386 folder onto your hard drive into the system root.
Your "system root" is most oftent "C:\ "
You should end up with a folder that looks like: C:\i386

—————————–
Step 2 (requires a change in your Registry) (Use the Export function in Regedit to back up the file before changing it)
Now you will need to tell your computer's SFC utility where to look for the files on your PC.
Do this in the registry with Regedit:
GoTo: Start - Run (type)regedit.exe - hit Enter
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
You will see various entries here on the right hand side.
The one we want is called:
SourcePath
It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:\ (because your i386 now exists on your C:\ Drive
Simply double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.
Now restart your computer and try scannow sfc again!

So, is this going to fix problems with SFC 100% of the time?
No.
There are other steps that can be taken, but the above will get SFC up and running, most of the time.

Post back if you continue to have difficulty.

Best Regards
Hey Penguingirl,

I just learned something while researching your Topic a little further.
Apparently there is a bug in the Windows operating system that causes your problem.

I remain confident that the instructions that I posted for you above will help you with the problem.
But you can certainly try the below as well.

It wasn't "well-known" to me but it is another way to solve the problem you're experiencing.

The incorrect prompt to insert a Windows XP Pro CD when running SFC on an XP Home system is a well known bug, and is due to errors in the Fp40ext.inf file, and on some systems the Ims.inf file, both located in the INF folder. To resolve the problem, open each file in Notepad, scroll to the [strings] section, and change each instance of "Windows XP Professional" to "Windows XP Home".


Best Regards
please help!!! I think my registry might be corrupt or either someone is really screwing with me. I turn on windows Takes long long time to load then I get this blank box w/ a 1 in it, have to hit ok to get to users. I have internet connection though in show all connections it is blank. I tried to get to my assistant on this page I cant to view other logs I have posted. I use comcast and cant access there homepage, something about my filter setting, I cant open or close macafee privacy service….PLease Please PLease help me…thank you in advance
Hi Penguingirl, We'll need to have a better look at your system. Please Run and post a HJT Log over into the Malware Forum. I'll ask a qualified expert to have a look, to determine if your machine has any infections. If not, or after any infections are cleaned, we can continue any necessary work here in this Forum. Best Regards ______________ (Edit:) Sorry Penguingirl, after a bit of searching, I find that you've already posted a HJT Log and received replies from LDTate, who has indicated that you have no infection present on your machine. 1.) You seem to have become concerned about some "ordinary" Windows Update procedures that are "SAFE" but can be "confusing" to even advanced users. All the files that you listed appear to be "ordinary" Windows Update files and/or the temporary files created by Windows during the Update process. 2.) You seem to have become concerned about a common event of McAfee Firewall alerting you that it has "blocked" an attempt by an "possibly unfriendly" source to connect with your machine. Actually the "alert" is a commonly occuring event, and tells you that McAfee Firewall has protected your machine from a potentially "unwanted" contact. McAfee Firewall is doing its job. Comment: On the Internet, there are hundreds of thousands of individuals and sites that attempt to contact users like me and you everyday when we get on the internet. Most of those who want to contact us are in the business of Advertising and hope to sell products to us. Fewer, but "some" of those advertisers use "devious means" to get us to view their products (unwanted bloat and adware). Fewer still, but still "some" of those attempting to contact us, use "maliscious means" to attempt to infect us with trojans, spyware, and viruses. That's why we use Firewall, AntiVirus, and AntiSpyware utilities to protect our machines. You are using Microsoft's Windows Defender and McAfee, both of which should be doing an excellent job of preventing malicious sites and individuals from doing anything unwanted to your machine. You appear to be safe, and should allow McAfee and Windows defender to continue doing their good job. Best Regards
Hi again Penguingirl,

So you may be wondering, after my last reply assuring you that your machine is safely protected, just why are you having the problems that you are currently experiencing.

I think my registry might be corrupt or either someone is really screwing with me. I turn on windows Takes long long time to load then I get this blank box w/ a 1 in it, have to hit ok to get to users.
I have internet connection though in show all connections it is blank. I tried to get to my assistant on this page I cant to view other logs I have posted. I use comcast and cant access there homepage, something about my filter setting, I cant open or close macafee privacy service

In your last post to LDTate in Malware Removal, you note similar statements of the same concerns:
______________

I do recognize that you are quite "frustrated" with these experiences.

Since the topics of your concerns are quite general and numerous, I am left with only "best guess" methods of thinking about what might be going on with your machine.

My "best guess" is that you have investigated various features and alerts, as you've noticed them, during the operation of your machine. You appear to have been fairly aggressive in your investigation, venturing into the machine's Registry, internet connection settings, command line actions like sfc /scannow, McAfee alerts and privacy settings and an attempt to reinstall Windows that failed during validation.

The areas that you have investigated are relatively complex, requiring some care and knowledge for even the advanced computer user, so as not to make unwanted changes to the system while investigating it.

At this time you may benefit from obtaining assistance from a local repair shop or computer repair consultant to get your machine straightened out again.
Then you can begin freshly with the challenges of learning about the various aspects of computer functioning.

Respectfully,
Doug

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI