Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Cannot sustain internet connection

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 dk32

dk32

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:46 PM

I ran Winsockxpfix again and rebooted. I enabled Windows Firewall and disabled ZoneAlarm. I don't have a Router but connect via a USB cable from my Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem. Bubble regarding connection continues to pop up.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:50 PM

So are you "plugging and unplugging" the two computers alternately, during the progress of this fix? Check Device Manager on your Dad's machine. Look especially for any yellow or red warnings near USB Controllers. You may have to use the ISP's installation protocol (maybe they sent you a CD when you first installed with your own machine?) Your Dad's machine may just need to have the Internet Connection "installed" appropriate to your Internet Service.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#18 dk32

dk32

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:54 PM

I used the CD that came with my modem on his computer several days ago. No yellow or red flags near USB controllers.

Edited by dk32, 30 November 2006 - 07:02 PM.

#19 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:48 AM

Is your Dad's machine able to stay connected to the internet for 2 minutes?

If so, I'd like you to run the Full Tests over at http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register with your own valid email address and create your own password.
You'll be asked to accept an ActiveX to run the test on your machine. (It's safe)

Run the Full Tests
When you receive your results, click on TechExpress and copy the Link back to this Thread here in TomCoyote. (the techexpress does not display/release any personal information.

With that better picture of how your Dad's machine is functioning, we may be able to provide more informed recommendations to resolve this problem.

#20 dk32

dk32

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:20 PM

When I ran the tests on pcpitstop, it said that some versions of Norton Antivirus found the Sockets de Trois Trojan during the Internet upload test.

http://www.pcpitstop...iledSummary.asp

Logged in
deb kerr
> Logout
> Change Login
Test My PC
Full Tests
Optimize 1.5
Internet Speed
Spyware Scan
AntiVirus
Running Programs
Privacy Scan
Driver Scan
Disk Health
Check ActiveX
Vista Readiness

Info Centers
Help & Support
Battling Spyware
Gator / Claria
Privacy & ID Theft
MaxPC Performance
PC Safety
The Pit Blog
PC Market Trends
About Us
Forums
Forums Home
Fix My PC
Internet Tests
Viruses & Spyware
Site Feedback

Current Test Results
Summary
Test Details
Hardware List
Installed Software
System Comparisons
Test History

Share Results with

Test Details
TipsIn the tips and the tables, red indicates a serious problem, yellow a minor problem, and blue a suggestion.

• Defragment files (Drive C)
• Adjust IE browser cache size
• Adjust Receive Buffer Size

Windows ConfigurationDescription Your Results
Common Name Windows XP Home SP2
Full Version Windows XP Home SP2
First Install Sat Jan 22 2005
Free Resources 90%
Fonts Installed 101
Windows Scripting Version 5.6.0.8820
PCPitstop Version 161
CPU Load 18%
Running ProgramsMalicious or poorly written running programs are a common cause of poor performance and system instability. We strongly recommend that you use an antivirus program such as EZ Antivirus from Computer Associates and a spyware scanner such as PC Pitstop Exterminate on a regular basis. To get control over your running programs we suggest WinTasks 5 Pro. Click on a file name to see more information about it.

Legend: Virus Spyware/Adware Optional Required No data

designates programs that can safely be disabled to improve computer performance, PC Pitstop Optimize disables these programs.

Name Vendor Complete File Name
Yahoo! Browser Yahoo!, Inc. C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
Sun Java Update Sun Microsystems, Inc. C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe
Journal Viewer Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\WISPTIS.EXE
Office XP speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
SBC Yahoo! Online Protection Yahoo! Inc. C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\YOP\yop.exe
HomePortal Monitor 2Wire, Inc. C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
Acrobat Reader Adobe Systems Incorporated C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
Debugger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
HP Digital Imaging Component Hewlett-Packard Co. C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgalry.exe
S3 TV support S3 Graphics, Inc. C:\WINDOWS\system32\VTTimer.exe
Hewlett-Packard C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWUCli.exe
Hewlett-Packard Co. C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
HP Keyboard Hewlett-Packard Company C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
Yahoo Messager Yahoo!, Inc. C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
HP tray icon Hewlett-Packard Co. C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Corporation C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
Print spooler Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
HP catch-all Hewlett-Packard Company C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
EZ Antivirus Computer Associates International, Inc. C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\CAVRID.exe
eTrust EZ Antivirus Computer Associates International, Inc. C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\CAVTray.exe
eTrust/ZoneLabs Computer Associates International, Inc. C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\ISafe.exe
eTrust Antivirus Computer Associates International, Inc. C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
Agere WinModem Agere Systems C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
ZoneAlarm Zone Labs, LLC C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
Local Security Authority Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
Service control process Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
Service host process Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

Performance-Related Windows Settings
The following settings may be helpful in diagnosing general system performance problems.

Setting name Value
Video acceleration disabled No
Paging of kernel disabled No
Screen saver running during tests No
NOIDE key found in registry No
Running 32-bit code on 64-bit Windows No
System Restore disabled No
Large System Cache enabled No
Has batteries No
Hibernate enabled Yes
HIBERFIL.SYS present Yes
Hibernate policy in use Yes
Sleep/Resume policy in use Yes
Running on battery power No
Internet Configuration
Run our Free PC Pitstop Optimize 1.5 Scan to check proper registry settings for your connection type. Optimize tweaks the optimal registry values to get the most from your Internet connection.

Try our free Optimize 1.5 Scan Now!

Learn More.
Description Your Results
Bandwidth Down 4496 Kbits/sec
Bandwidth Up 542 Kbits/sec
Average Ping 19 ms
Ping Loss 0%
TCP Receive Window (default)
External IP Address 74.192.229.239
Internal IP Address 74.192.229.239
Browser MSIE 7.0; YPC 3.2.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322
IE current cache 17 MB
IE max cache 1000 MB

Vonage the Broadband Phone Company
Use your broadband connection for UNLIMITED local and long distance calls to the US and Canada only $24.99. Vonage's unlimited calling is the alternative to your high phone bills.
Click here for information.The Bandwidth tests measure the Internet bandwidth between your computer and PC Pitstop's servers. In general, if your bandwidth result is at least 85% of the rated connection speed, you're receiving good throughput (though shared connections may affect this, too).

Average Ping measures the round-trip time for a packet to travel from the PC being tested to PC Pitstop's web site and back; lower numbers indicate better performance. Ping times under 150ms are typical of T1, DSL, or cable modems. Consistent ping times of more than 500ms should only be seen in connections that span continents (e.g., USA to Europe) and/or are linked by satellite. Ping losses usually indicate serious Internet congestion.

Internet performance can be erratic for many different reasons, so you can't expect to get maximum bandwidth and ping performance every time you test. You should test several times and at different times of the day to get the most accurate picture of your connection speed. To repeat only our Bandwidth test and get more information, plus tips for improving performance, click here. For additional testing of your browser configuration and Internet connection, we recommend BrowserTune.

More Internet related Settings
The following settings may be helpful in diagnosing internet performance problems.

Setting name Value
Using a proxy No
HTTP 1.1 through proxy Enabled No
HTTP 1.1 Enabled Yes
Check for newer pages turned off No
Show Pictures No
Format docs using my style sheet No
Content Advisor enabled No
Check Associations Disable No
Enable Automatic Image Resize Yes
Enable third-party browser extensions No
Enable page transitions Yes
Always use my {colors|fonts|size} No
Security ConfigurationDescription Your Results
IE Restricted Zone Permissions None

Security-Related Windows Settings
The following settings may be helpful in diagnosing spyware and browser hijacks.

Setting name Value
Explorer: Some drive letters are hidden No
Explorer: Hide extensions for known file types Yes
Explorer: Hide protected operating system files No
Explorer: Do not show hidden files and folders No
Explorer: Do not display contents of system folders Yes
HOSTS location remapped via the Registry No
System File Protection disabled No
Main BoardDescription Your Results
Brand/Model Compaq Presario 061 PJ506AA-ABA SR1215CL NA440
Type Desktop
Serial Number CNH4430JYQ
BIOS Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.11 09/02/2004
System Board ASUSTek Computer INC. Kelut 2.02
ProcessorDescription Your Results
Brand/Model AMD Sempron 3000+
Nominal Clock Speed 2000 MHz
Measured Clock Speed 2000 MHz
External Clock Speed 166 MHz
CPU Load 18%
Speed Rating 5519 (97% of 1394 similar)
Memory ConfigurationDescription Results
RAM installed 512 MB
Windows RAM 448 MB
Total RAM slots 2
Available RAM slots 1
Max RAM module size 32 MB
Memory Type 512+0;DIMM,?18,;T16
Speed Rating 5168 MB/s (99% of 1394 similar)
Memory Tip
On virtually any system, memory is the best bang-for-the-buck upgrade, especially if you currently have 256MB or less. Installing memory is a snap, it just works and your PC is faster. PC World has put together a step-by-step guide if you need help.
With prices so low lately I've purchased a lot of memory, and all of it has been from Crucial. Their prices beat the competition and they currently have free shipping.
-- Rob Cheng, CEO, PC PitstopAdded more memory to your available RAM slots can give your computer some extra performance. Crucial Technology can identify the memory you need at very competitive pricing.

Speed rating is measured in megabytes per second. The percentage indicates the performance of this system compared to systems in our database with a similar CPU and clock speed; the number of similar systems is also shown. For example, a score of 50% would indicate this system had half the performance of comparable systems; 200% would indicate twice the performance. A "normal" number is 100% plus or minus about 15%.

The System Management BIOS is reporting that there is 512 MB of RAM, but Windows reports that 448 MB is available. The most common reason for this discrepancy is that your system uses some system RAM for the video graphics card or BIOS functions. This case is common in highly-integrated PCs with video graphics built into the system board, and does not require any changes on your part.

There is a large discrepancy between the memory reported by the BIOS versus Windows. Often, this indicates a System Management BIOS (SMBIOS) problem and you may be able to fix it with a BIOS upgrade available from the vendor. SMBIOS results can be incorrect even if the power-on self test (POST) detects all of your installed RAM. For more insight into what your SMBIOS reports and why it can be wrong, download and run our SMBIOS reporting tools.

Drive LettersThese are drive letters associated with hard disk drives. This list does not include drive letters for floppy disks or other removable media such as CD-ROM, DVD, Zip or Jaz drives.

Description Drive C
Partition format NTFS
Cluster size 4 KB
Drive label PRESARIO
Size 114492 MB
Free space 106322 MB (93%)
Junk files 26 MB (0%)
Data fragmentation 11%
File fragmentation 2%
Uncached speed 42 MB/s (120%)

Percentages shown for free space and junk files (temporary files, browser cache, Recycle Bin files) represent the size relative to the total disk capacity. A disk with 50% free space is half-full (or half-empty, if you're an optimist). PC Pitstop Optimize is an easy way to keep your hard disk free of unnecessary files.

Our full tests only perform disk health checking on the C drive. We recommend that you check the health of your other drives using our Disk Health page.
Data fragmentation measures the percentage of data on the disk that is contained in fragmented files. File fragmentation is the percentage of files on the disk that are fragmented. Some disk optimization programs such as Win98 Disk Defragmenter intentionally fragment files to place them in the best position to ensure quick program loading, so the fragmentation measures may be non-zero even after running a disk optimizer. For more details see our Disk Health page.

Cached and uncached speed is measured in megabytes per second (MB/s). When a percentage is shown for cached and uncached speed, it compares the performance of the drive with those of systems in our database with the same processor and clock speed. (Our database currently has 1394 similar systems.) A rating of 200% means a disk is twice the performance of similar systems, 50% means it's half the performance. Cached disk speed generally measures the efficiency of the system's processor and memory system, not the performance of the hard disk. Uncached speed is most affected by the physical hard disk and the disk interface.

Disk DrivesHere are the physical disk drives that we have detected on your system:

Drive 0
Drive letters C
Removable media No
Brand/Model SAMSUNG SP1203N
IDE details DMA
Serial number
Revision level

For IDE drives, IDE details show whether the drive has DMA enabled and is an IDE master (single drive, or master drive in a master/slave pair).

CD/DVD DrivesHere are the CD and DVD drives that we have detected on your system:

Model Type Max Read Speed Max Write Speed
HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B CD-RW 8450 KB/s (48X) 8450 KB/s (48X)

Video BoardDescription Your Results
Brand/Model VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
Resolution 1024x768 pixels
Colors 16 million
DirectX version 5.03.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
OpenGL version 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Acceleration options Enabled
Performance 100.15 MP/s (99% of 550 similar)

Get Updated Drivers!
Run TouchStone's Free DriveAgent to find your PCs most up-to-date drivers.

Better Performance
Improved Stability
Fast and Easy

PC Pitstop's video performance performs a basic test of your system's graphics capabilities and reports the result in millions of pixels displayed per second (MP/s). The percentage indicates the performance of this system compared to systems in our database with a similar CPU, clock speed, and video board. For example, a score of 50% would indicate this system had half the performance of comparable systems; 200% would indicate twice the performance. Determining "normal" performance can be difficult, there can be wide differences due to video drivers even on the same video board. (You can use TouchStone's DriverAgent to see if you have the latest driver.)

MonitorsDescription
Monitor COMPAQ FS7555 17in. CRT Monitor
Max. Resolution (HxV) 1280 x 1024 pixels
Screen Size (HxV) 32 x 24 cm
Viewable Diagonal Size 15.75 inch
Manufacture Date November 2004
Serial Number 16843009

Home | Our Legal Stuff | Privacy Policy | Press | Our Store | Link to Us

Testimonials | Customer Service | Support PC Pitstop | Printable Page

#21 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

Thanks dk32, Will you post just the Techexpress Link. Youve copy/pasted most all the information, but it is much easier to "see" in the TechExpress link form. Best Regards Doug

Edited by dough, 04 December 2006 - 04:33 PM.

#22 dk32

dk32

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:04 PM

TechExpress link for your current results:
http://www.pcpitstop...ENBFW8LQZWSNT6J

Edited by dk32, 04 December 2006 - 07:29 PM.

#23 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:51 AM

You might want to consider Uninstalling the SBC Yahoo! Online Protection. I say "might" because I'm not sure of how that utility interacts with your Dad's machine's onboard AntiVirus. May cause conflicts. May be just fine. I don't know. Seems like you'd have to uninstall it to find out. I just worked on another user's machine that had a similar utility from PeoplePC. It trashed the computer's connection to the Internet and also let a ton of Malware in. Not saying that SBC's Online Protection is the same as PeoplePC, just raising an option. Personally, I'd uninstall the Yahoo Browser as well. Yahoo Browser uses IE, and then puts its own branded bloat stuff on to make it look like a Yahoo Portal. I've been using SBC DSL and also their Dial-up, for 6 or 7 years and uninstalled all of the SBC/Yahoo stuff during the first month. Give me a "clean" version of IE or Firefox any day, over a "branded" browser portal. Just my opinion. It's your choice. I presume you're still having the same problem with your Dad's machine getting kicked off the Internet at randome intervals? See if uninstalling the SBC online Protection helps. See if uninstalling the SBC/Yahoo browser helps. I'll keep thinking about other possible solutions. Best Regards

#24 dk32

dk32

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:14 AM

Yesterday I got kicked off once before using the pcpitstop test, then I was able to stay connected for several hours, until I checked on the firewalls. The Windows Firewall was disabled, so I enabled it. Don't know what disabled it. Since you recommended Windows firewall instead of ZoneAlarm, and I wanted to keep it simple for my dad so I uninstalled ZoneAlarm. Then I immediately started getting the bubble again about the connectivity and would get kicked off every few minutes. This morning, I reinstalled ZoneAlarm and I also have the Windows Firewall on and it has not kicked me off once. I plan to return his computer to him either today or tomorrow. I had him find all his CD's that came with the computer as he didn't bring them to me and if I continue to have problems after returning his computer and reconnecting to his DSL, then I will just stick in the recovery CD and start over. If you have any further suggestions, please let me know. If not, thanks for all your help.

#25 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:25 AM

I'm not sure I'm clear on which worked best, but I think you're saying that you were able to stay online for a few hours with Zone Alarm alone yesterday. Therefore, I'd go with Zone Alarm only and disable the Windows Firewall. My previous recommendation of Windows Firewall was to see if you could get more consistant connectivity without the Zone Alarm. Seems the answer was No. I've been using Zone Alarm (free) for quite a few years and never had a problem with it. Running (2) two Firewalls is not recommended. Your other plans about the install CDs etc. sound fine. Sorry this has been such a tough one. You got excellent help from LDTate and then this Internet Connectivity thing has had us hung for quite some time. You've made all the right moves. You just haven't gotten the results we hoped for. Seems you may have a stable solution at this time. Fortunately, TC will be here if you have question in the future. Best Regards

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:31 AM

It would be a "very" good idea to update the XP operating system before handing it back to your Dad. Recently, with all the problems people have had with IE 7.0, I've recommended that folks get the alerts for Windows update, but download and install manually. Then I "uncheck" the box in front of IE 7.0 so that it doesn't download/install. IE 6.0 is fine for now. Your Dad will keep getting an alert that Windows downloads are available, each time he turns his machine on, but you can tell him to download/install everything but IE 7.0. However, IE 7.0 runs fine for alot of people, and it is certainly a matter of user choice at this point. Best Regards Edit: Again, I'd dump the SBC/Yahoo products to avoid possible conflicts. It's an option for your choice.

Edited by dough, 05 December 2006 - 11:34 AM.

#27 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:37 AM

Ooops. Looks like you're already using IE 7.0

#28 dk32

dk32

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:45 AM

I had never re-enabled ZoneAlarm on his computer. I have always used ZoneAlarm on my own computer, also, without any problem but since I was going to use the Windows Firewall on his and ZoneAlarm was disabled, I decided to uninstall it. Before I went to uninstall it, I thought I better check to make sure Windows Firewall was working. That is when I discovered it was off. Right now both Windows Firewall and ZoneAlarm are on and I have uninterrupted connection. When he first brought me his computer, I suspected some kind of malware because his Windows Firewall was off, along with his Windows automatic update, and his CA antivirus, but nothing has shown up in the scans. I set everything up on his computer for him and he doesn't do anything other than check email, surf the internet, and play games. He wouldn't know how to turn any of these off. When he has a problem, he calls and I try to walk him through it. This was one I couldn't fix over the phone. I've always had a cable connection and am not as familiar with his DSL and everything included with it. Cable is not available where he lives.

#29 dk32

dk32

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

When I first got his computer I checked for updates and tried to custom install and was not able so I went with the express install and it downloaded EI 7.0 along with several other updates. I haven't downloaded it to my own computer yet, but as you say he keeps reminding me to do so. I disabled the yahoo! Browser as you suggested.

#30 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

Sounds like your Dad is unlikely to venture too far into risky territory.
You may want to install SpywareBlaster. It functions like a Host File to block known-bad websites.
He would never "see" it because it runs passively and does not consume resources.

IE and Firefox browsers do a "local look-up" to Host Files first before connecting to an addressed site.
If the site the user is trying to reach is "known-bad" then the browser prevents the connection.

You can get SpywareBlaster (free) at"
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com