This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cannot sustain internet connection

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm trying to repair my dad's computer. It will not sustain an internet connection. It disconnects and reconnects every few minutes. He uses SBCYahoo DSL and could not connect to the internet at all and I currently have it connected to my cable modem and it kicks me off every few minutes with this bubble: Local Area Connection 3 This connection has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the Internet or some Network Resources.
To release and renew your Dad's TCP/IP connection GoTo: Start - Run - (type)ipconfig /release a DOS window will open briefly Shortly thereafter, the DOS window will disappear and you will "probably" receive a warning that your internet connection has "limited or no connectivity". Next: GoTo Start - Run - (type)ipconfig /renew This should restore your Dad's machine to full internet connectivity. In the event that it does not, we'll take some additional steps. Best Regards
ok, i did the release and the renew and the bubble is still popping up that says: Local Area Connection 3 This connection has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the Internet or some Network Resources.
Go to Control Panel - Internet Properties - Connections(tab) Be sure that "Never dial a connection" is selected. Click on "LAN Settings" Place a checkmark(tick) in the box in front of: "Automatically detect settings"
The following "fix" is safe and often recommended, however, it does involve changes that will be made to your Registry by the automated tool (Winsockxpfix).
Therefore please Create a Restore Point on your Dad's machine.

How to create a System Restore point?
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore
For Classic Start Menu: Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.

Click - Create a restore point, and then click Next.

In the Restore point description box, type a name to identify this restore point. System Restore automatically adds to this name the date and time that this Restore Point is created.

To finish creating this restore point, click Create.

You can also launch System Restore window by typing the command below, in the RUN box:

%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe


Next__________________
Please download "winsockxpfix", from here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

If you are unable to use this computer to download the file, then download it from a different computer and burn the file to a CD.

Simply Run Winsockxpfix by double clicking on it.
Next:
Reboot your machine.
WinsockXPfix should have restored your internet connectivity.

If this fix does not do the trick, then I'll be wanting to ask you what Firewall you are using.
For example, Windows XP Firewall, Zone Alarm Firewall, Sygate Firewall, etc.

Best Regards
Presuming the above fix is successful, you should update your Dad's machine to SP2 and update all of the critical updates and patches. You may want to do the update manually, as Microsoft will include IE 7.0 in the update bundle. (some people prefer to wait for a while until IE 7.0 has been around and used for a while to work out any bugs before installing) Then you should update and run: Spybot Search & Destroy Ad-Aware SE Personal version 1.06 AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 Your Onboard AntiVirus Post back with your progress. Best Regards
I checked "Automatically detect settings" I had already downloaded winsockxp per LDTate from a previous post. I downloaded ZoneAlarm to my dad's computer. He is supposed to have a firewall through his DSL service thru his modem as I understand it, but since I'm not using his modem I installed ZoneAlarm. When he brought me his computer over Thanksgiving, his antivirus CA had been disabled, as had his Windows Automatic update. I enabled both and updated and used express install that added IE 7.0 I ran his CA scan and also Symantec Free Online Scan. Neither found anything. I updated his Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware SE Personal version 1.06. I also downloaded AVG and ran it. I downloaded HighJackThis and posted the results on the HijackThis Logs and Spyware/Malware Removal Forum and followed the recommendations from LDTate. He sent me to this forum.
OK, since you installed Zone Alarm, let's be sure that Windows XP Firewall is "turned off" control panel - Security Center - Does the Firewall item show "Off" or "on" if it is "On" - Click on the radio button for Firewall -Then click the button - Recommendations - then click to disable Windows Firewall. Conversely, you may wish to Uninstall Zone Alarm and allow Windows Firewall to be turned on.
yes, please run Winsockxpfix again. Next: Enable Windows Firewall and Disable Zone Alarm via MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab) I'm guessing that you have both your own, and your Dad's computers hooked up to the Internet via Router? or Alternatively, you may be plugging and unplugging them in one at a time via your Cat5 Ethernet wire?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI