This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Disk Space disappearing

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello everyone. ONe of my computers is acting like the disk space is disappearing. I am not sure if there is something causing this or if it may be an early indication of a disk failure. At one point, the disk (36GB) reported that it was completely full with only about 30MB of space left. After examining the system to try to figure out what was going on it appeared normal again with only about 9GB of space in use. As time goes by it appears that the disk is slowly filling up again. It is reporting about 7GB free now. I ran ad-aware and spybot and found nothing unusual. Here is a hijack this log after I have tried a couple of things with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:35:54 AM, on 11/15/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\INTERB~1\Bin\ibguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\Program Files\ORL\VNC\WinVNC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\inf\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\INTERB~1\Bin\ibserver.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ICO.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\FSRremoS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Pelmiced.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe irprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Smapp] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UC_Start] C:\IBMTools\Updater\ucstartup.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ibmmessages] C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mouse Suite 98 Daemon] ICO.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinVNC] "C:\Program Files\ORL\VNC\WinVNC.exe" -servicehelper
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ibmmessages] C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\IBM\Java141\jre\bin\NPJPI141.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: IBM Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\IBM\Java141\jre\bin\NPJPI141.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O11 - Options group: [JAVA_IBM] Java (IBM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/…nst20040510.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{7F5F5676-0F52-43AA-9291-7FF2CD36D074}: NameServer = 192.168.3.5
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NavLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: InterBase Guardian (InterBaseGuardian) - Inprise Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\INTERB~1\Bin\ibguard.exe
O23 - Service: InterBase Server (InterBaseServer) - Inprise Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\INTERB~1\Bin\ibserver.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: VNC Server (winvnc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\ORL\VNC\WinVNC.exe" -service (file missing)
I think I have figured this one out, mostly, and I think this line in my log file is the cause. C:\WINDOWS\inf\svchost.exe I noticed while my disk space was being eaten up that the CPU was at 100% and an instance of svchost.exe was doing it. I was able to stop it and then my space came back. Searching the drive for svchost, I found the compressed file in the I386 directory and one in the Windows\System directory where it belongs which was about 13K. I also found one in the Windows\INF directory that was 576K and a file called SVCHOST.EXE-37C64DE2.pf in the Windows\prefetch directory. I was able to delete the svchost.exe file in the INF directory after stopping another wild instance of it in task manager. My problem has not come back since deleting this file. Is anyone here interested in the file to examine it since this was not detected by anything I tried? The file properties version information makes it look like a microsoft file aside from some suspicious looking characters on the copyright line that got me thinking. Could there be some more clean up I need to do besides just deleting this file?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI