The Dell forums are man'ed by users - not Dell support people - they KNOW thier machines, which will be the same as yours.
The experts in that forum would be where I would go for help if/when I need it.
Sorry I was unable to reply myself earlier - I was just on my way out.
Well I too have a 9150 - good machine.
BUT I wanted multi drives so reformated without the raid support.
I needed help with that - I got it at the Dell forum.
Thank you both Chris & Crow,
Well, I spent the whole day at my friends home on the phone with Dell….I think I was there from 10 am to 11pm at her home finishing up with the computer. Again, we got tossed around with the techs telling us that her computer is not a raid format. We finally spoke to someone who at least helped us to the end and I guess he spoke to his supervisors and they told him that what she has on her computer is a software driven raid? They claim that the raid is set up by using Norton Ghost? Now as far as I know, you can't set up raid using that can you? And he said that even the supervisors have never set up a raid? Anyway, after all this frustration we finally got the computer to work. The two disks are running as independant hard drives. According to him after we performed a clone from the C: drive to the other hard drive it would automatically be a raid formation. Which of course did not happen like he said but anyway, at least we have the computer running again. I do have a question for both of you, I did a clone of the C: drive to an external hard drive using ghost, and now that I want to put that back on the new C: drive it won't let me. It says can't transfer files while in windows. Is there a way that I can put that clone back on the new drive so I don't have to reinstall everything again on the new drive?
spldrttngrl
I do not know the answer - I (like most on this forum) are anti-malware experts.
Now although you have tried and failed to get anything helpful from the Dell support tech's - that is not the same as the Dell Community Forum.
they are much like us - independant users helping other users.
So if you post for support where we advised those users (not tech support) will be the most knowledgable people you will find for your hardware.
For me to give you advise would be wrong, as I do not know enough about that type of issue, so could do you harm.
Good luck with the Dell Community forum - they are the best for what you need.
I will try again. I pretty much copied and dropped some folders into the new drive, but like anything else we had to reinstall some of the software but most of the computer is back to normal except for some little things here and there but eventually we'll get to that. For the most part, the computer is up and running again at least, may not be raid but I think I like it this way better. So do you use norton ghost to do your backups?
So because I cloned the old C: drive to the external hard drive, can I transfer it back to the new C: drive? It won't seem to let me do that, it keeps telling me that I can't do it while I'm still in Windows. It seems like you can only clone to another internal hard drive and then clone it back to another internal? Do you know how it works?
Chris,
If I don't respond back this evening……rather this morning it's because I'm really beat from the long day I had, but I will be sure to check back later this morning for your post. Thank you for all your help and have a great day today! Gail