I'm afraid that you have picked up a file-infector trojan. This is why McAfee Security Center disappeared - the file is infected. Unfortunately, this is very new (Kaspersky only added it to their database on Sunday). This is why Dr.Web CureIT! couldn't 'cure' the files and probably why Panda hasn't picked them all up.
I suggest that you disconnect this computer from the internet, to prevent the infection pulling in more nasties. Until we get it fixed, it unlikely that your McAfee programs are working. If you have another computer, I suggest that you use this to post and download any tools and only connect the infected one if I ask you to run an online scan. If you don't have another computer, please only connect this one for the minmum time necessary. Only reboot the computer if absolutely necessary.
I would like you to download and run a tool that has been developed to fight a very similar infection. Download it to your desktop from: http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/FindAWF.exe, double-click to run the program and post the log here (awf.txt). Please also post a new HijackThis log.
I will let you know more once I have had a chance to do some research on this trojan.
I am unable to run the program. I downloaded it to the desktop, however when I try to run it I get a message saying "McAfee ActiveShield has found a suspect file on your computer, Mcafee strongly recommends that you scan your computer now." Of course when I press ok nothing happens because the Mcafee is no longer installed.
Didn't work in safe mode either! I am beginning to think that I am SOL! A new computer might be in the works for Christmas. Wanted to let you know that every time I tried to search for something in safe mode or click start, run- the computer would totally freeze up.
I've asked for advice on this. It looks as if it's infecting your system files now.
In the meantime, there's one thing I'd like you to try:
In normal mode…
Copy the link location: http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/FindAWF.exe
Open Internet Explorer and paste the link into the address bar.
When the download box opens, click on Run instead of Save
Allow the file to run when you get the warning.
A black window should open.
If this works, let the program run.
When it finishes, Notepad will open.
Copy and paste the contents of that text file here.
If 'McAfee comes up with a warning, close the window or click on No/Cancel. Don't click OK
How is it going? Have you been able to try the suggestion in my previous post? The situation is serious, but if I can just get the information on the rogue files, we stand a fighting chance of getting this sorted out. We need to try a few different methods to get this information. If any of these work, then stop: (don't try any other steps) and paste the log here and wait for my reply. If none of them work, please let me know what happened.
—————————————————————————–
First, please try what I suggested in my previous post, if you have not already tried it. I repeat the instructions here:
Note: If 'McAfee' comes up with a warning, close the window or click on No/Cancel. Don't click OK
In normal mode…
Copy the link location: http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/FindAWF.exe
Open Internet Explorer and paste the link into the address bar.
When the download box opens, click on Run instead of Save
Allow the file to run when you get the warning.
A black window should open.
If this works, let the program run.
When it finishes, Notepad will open.
Copy and paste the contents of that text file here.
——————————————————————————–
Next. please download the following programs to your desktop (don't run them yet):
A fresh version of FindAWF from here (replace the previous version)
Disconnect from the internet. Reboot before reconnecting to post the log, but don't forget to make sure you have it safe first.
——————————————————————————–
We need to make sure that none of the following processes are running. To check, you need to press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys to open Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab and then click on Image Name (this will put the processes in order). If any of the following are running, right-click on them and select End process.
OK first of all my task manager is disabled under this user. It has been since I first got infected. I tryed to enable it through steps on the internet before I started corresponding with you but I was told I have a missing file. I can use it under other users- I don't now if that helps. Secondly, I was unable to run "AWF" through the copy and paste method. So I shall wait for further instructions before I download anything.
Well done! I'll go through the log now.
You say that you can run Task Manager as another user. Could you please log on as another user and then try the steps for FindAWF in the previous post.
Please see if you have the following files (note the 'bak' sub-folder):
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\bak\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support\bak\DSAgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\bak\mcagent.exe
Hooray!!!!
That's great. I haven't gone through the report in detail, but it appears to confirm that I was right about what has happened. Basically, the malware has moved valid files into sub-folders (called 'bak') and replaced them with corrupted files. Now that we can see what's there, we should be able to move them back. It's going to take me a little while to build a batch file to do this. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI