Lotsa symptoms. Just now a phony alert popup telling me to cure this trojan with either WinAntiVirus, VirusRescue or SpyHeal (none of which I've ever heard of). Now I have a little balloon saying "System Alert: Trojan-Spy.win32@mx."

Sometimes I get official-looking alert boxes warning about viruses and extra "security" toolbars on IE.

I run AVG, have run SpyBot S&D, AdAware and SmitRem in safe mode, but I still have a problem. Here are my HJT and AVG logs:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:54:42 PM, on 10/22/2006
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
D:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
D:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
D:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
D:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
D:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
D:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
D:\WINNT\system32\devldr32.exe
D:\Program Files\Accessories\hijackthis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.nytimes.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = F:\WINNT\System32\blank.htm
F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=D:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe,F:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe,
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - d:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - d:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AHQInit] D:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive2k\Program\AHQInit.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "D:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] D:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.908.5008\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1123640517907
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1123641173680
O16 - DPF: {8EDAD21C-3584-4E66-A8AB-EB0E5584767D} - http://toolbar.google.com/data/GoogleActivate.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - D:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - D:\WINNT\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - D:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security Service (NISSERV) - Unknown owner - F:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISSERV.EXE (file missing)
O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security Accounts Manager (NISUM) - Unknown owner - F:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE (file missing)
O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security Proxy Service (SymProxySvc) - Unknown owner - F:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\SymProxySvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Unknown owner - F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe (file missing)

———————————————————
AVG Anti-Spyware - Scan Report
———————————————————

+ Created at: 3:51:24 PM 10/22/2006

+ Scan result:



HKU\S-1-5-21-2025429265-706699826-1202660629-1000\Software\Internet Security -> Adware.IntCodec : No action taken.


::Report end

Where do I go from here?

Thanks,

Dave