robgomm
Topic Starter
Hi,
Firstly, I appreciate it'll take time to read through this stuff and I'll be providing as much information as I can (I'm a beginner, by the way). I know you guys are volunteers and I really appreciate the work you're doing. The attitude I had towards malware and viruses was very poor as I arrogantly assumed the threats of malware and viruses were overstated. That attitude has gone and been replaced by a much better one!
The anti-virus software I use is AVG Free Edition (up-to-date) and it first spotted a Trojan a week ago. Since then there have been nine more instances (10 total) of Trojan proxy and generic viruses. I realised a while ago that the Windows Firewall had been disabled but I considered it unimportant. Yep. I'm an idiot! The Windows Firewall is now back working. I now have numerous spyware finding programs to try to find any trace of the virus, unsuccessully, so far. AVG finds no virus currently present in the System32 file but I'm unconvinced. Obviously, I have to get a firewall (which I didn't realise until recently) but I won't do that until my computer's clean.
Anyway, the primary evidence of a problem on my computer is when I attempt to shut it down. A message comes on the screen in a box title 'winlogon.exe - application error', with the message reporting a problem with the memory. This, from what I can gather, is the Trojan. The message provides two options (OK to terminate, cancel to debug) but pressing either or the X leads to re-booting. If you leave the message alone, the computer eventually shuts down. When it reboots, a winlogon.exe error message appears on the desktop. After sending an error report to Microsoft, a virus/worm is suggested as the reason for the problem.
This is my first HJT experience so I hope this presented ok:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 23:19:10, on 21/10/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\hjt\HijackThis.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://bt.edit.client.yahoo.com/bt/hub?.partner=bt-1
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {376A3E8E-55C0-4ABC-8C54-4A234AC2E306} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TouchED] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchED\TouchED.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - http://cdn.scan.safety.live.com/resource/d…wlscbase969.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1153147107246
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{DC7956C9-9CDD-4ED1-9149-117F0F36FE2F}: NameServer = 62.6.40.162 194.72.0.98
O20 - Winlogon Notify: instcat - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\instcat.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
—-
—-
Recently, my hard drive was replaced (it completely stopped working. More evidence of my previous arrogance I'm afraid.) and I have a new one. Compared to other HTJ logs I've seen, this one is quite short so the fact that I don't have much on the new hard drive is probably the reason for that.
To me, O20 is the concern. But my lack of experience means I will not fix anything without asking you guys first.
One other note. There's a program called Look2Me Destroyer. That has a process:
Run as task>scan for Look2Me>RemoveLook2Me>shutdown computer
Look2Me Destroyed shuts down the computer itself as part of its process. When it does so, the 'winlogon.exe - application error' does not appear. I don't know if that helps at all.
Thank you for reading this! I know it's a long post but I hope I've given you enough information to go on.
Thank you again and I'll check back over the next few days for any responses.
Rob.
Firstly, I appreciate it'll take time to read through this stuff and I'll be providing as much information as I can (I'm a beginner, by the way). I know you guys are volunteers and I really appreciate the work you're doing. The attitude I had towards malware and viruses was very poor as I arrogantly assumed the threats of malware and viruses were overstated. That attitude has gone and been replaced by a much better one!
The anti-virus software I use is AVG Free Edition (up-to-date) and it first spotted a Trojan a week ago. Since then there have been nine more instances (10 total) of Trojan proxy and generic viruses. I realised a while ago that the Windows Firewall had been disabled but I considered it unimportant. Yep. I'm an idiot! The Windows Firewall is now back working. I now have numerous spyware finding programs to try to find any trace of the virus, unsuccessully, so far. AVG finds no virus currently present in the System32 file but I'm unconvinced. Obviously, I have to get a firewall (which I didn't realise until recently) but I won't do that until my computer's clean.
Anyway, the primary evidence of a problem on my computer is when I attempt to shut it down. A message comes on the screen in a box title 'winlogon.exe - application error', with the message reporting a problem with the memory. This, from what I can gather, is the Trojan. The message provides two options (OK to terminate, cancel to debug) but pressing either or the X leads to re-booting. If you leave the message alone, the computer eventually shuts down. When it reboots, a winlogon.exe error message appears on the desktop. After sending an error report to Microsoft, a virus/worm is suggested as the reason for the problem.
This is my first HJT experience so I hope this presented ok:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 23:19:10, on 21/10/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\hjt\HijackThis.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://bt.edit.client.yahoo.com/bt/hub?.partner=bt-1
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {376A3E8E-55C0-4ABC-8C54-4A234AC2E306} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TouchED] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchED\TouchED.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - http://cdn.scan.safety.live.com/resource/d…wlscbase969.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1153147107246
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{DC7956C9-9CDD-4ED1-9149-117F0F36FE2F}: NameServer = 62.6.40.162 194.72.0.98
O20 - Winlogon Notify: instcat - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\instcat.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
—-
—-
Recently, my hard drive was replaced (it completely stopped working. More evidence of my previous arrogance I'm afraid.) and I have a new one. Compared to other HTJ logs I've seen, this one is quite short so the fact that I don't have much on the new hard drive is probably the reason for that.
To me, O20 is the concern. But my lack of experience means I will not fix anything without asking you guys first.
One other note. There's a program called Look2Me Destroyer. That has a process:
Run as task>scan for Look2Me>RemoveLook2Me>shutdown computer
Look2Me Destroyed shuts down the computer itself as part of its process. When it does so, the 'winlogon.exe - application error' does not appear. I don't know if that helps at all.
Thank you for reading this! I know it's a long post but I hope I've given you enough information to go on.
Thank you again and I'll check back over the next few days for any responses.
Rob.