This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Registry Cleaners

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Yesterday browsing other forum sites I came across a topic titled "Registry Cleaners". I must say I was amazed at the contradiction in the advice given even naming software programs not to touch and in one post the member telling everyone to ignore all the above advice and leave the registry alone. There were many posts on this thread that completely confused me as to whether I should use the cleaners I currently use at random which are the following: RegscrubXP RegistryFix RegSeeker.exe Easy Cleaner (only downloaded it yesterday, but have not used it yet) CCleaner TweakNow RegCleaner.Std To date I have not had a problem with any of the above with the options customized for me with each program. I did loose my Nortons Ghost 10 icon from Systems Tray sometime ago, and maybe one of the cleaners took it away? but other than that my computer is running so well. That was not so serious as I put an icon in my task bar. In case anyone advises me to go to the Ghost software and enable "show in systems tray" I have done that but it does not work. Back to the registry cleaners along with CCleaner, would appreciate comments regarding what is advised on this site. :(
Hi Tallin, Two words: OVER KILL Alright……. I want to say more than two just words. I don't know or use any of those products except Ccleaner, which I know, but don't use. I doubt you will receive any performance benefit by using any of them. And you risk problems that are possibly not communicated to you by any "automated" registry cleaner that doesn't display what it is about to remove and allow the owner/user to make specific decisions before taking action. Few users know how to make such decisions. If you ever - ever - use a Registry Cleaner, be sure to export a valid full copy of your registry before allowing any changes. Many or all of these products may "make a backup copy" to allow restoring the registry if problems occur. But do you know where to look to find a valid backup if your machine gets trashed? It is possible that other Members will chime in to recommend their favorite Registry Cleaner, or to comment on which Registry Cleaner is the "safest". Please do not take such recommendations as a prompt to add yet another Registry Cleaner to your arsenal. Please consider uninstalling ALL of those products. Ccleaner can be configured to use without modifying the Registry and should be. I admit that I've probably recommend the use of a registry cleaner in some instance, but I really don't remember when. I do "own" a registry cleaner. I do use it. But I decide on each identified change before allowing it to go forward. Most of the work I do in the Registry, I do manually, and only after a backup. I'll track this topic to see what others have to say. Hopefully I'll learn something. I doubt that I'll change the opinion I stated above. Best Regards I'm not familiar with either of the items listed in the next posted reply
Thanks for your post - I posted for advice and will take it…………thanks so much.

Just in passing are you familiar with either of these on the following site?

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

regards
Hi tallin,
What a coincidence Erunt as just been recommended to me to backup registry on my current Practice log, i hadn't heard of it before it should be a good program for what it is intended to do ie: Backup and restore if required,i don't know anything about NTREGOPT so i can't comment,with regards to the other programs you have i would follow Dough's advice…….If you don't want to use CCleaner a program i like is Cleanup by Steven gould, i have this set to standard in options and at the moment i havn't experienced any problems……You might like to take a look ………

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

But as the old saying goes If it aint broke don't fix it….

Regards pacman123
Hi Pacman123, Thanks for your input, sorry for the delay. I do have Cleanup by Steven Gould. Will tread wearily until I hear from Dough about my last post - He is a marvel, knows so much and is so enthusiastic with his quick replies. We are all so lucky to have him on this forum. Thanks again, tallin :thumbup:
Hi Tallin,

Sorry. Haven't changed my opinion about automated Registry utilities.

I am, however, pleased (but not surprised) that your are reading up on the subject.
I realize the you are a serious student. That sets you apart from 98%+ of owner/users, sorry to say.

Here's an article by a noted MS MVPS, on Backing up the Registry.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

***(please note that there is a "link" to ERUNT at the bottom of the page)
***(That DOES NOT imply that the MVPS writer of the article endorses ERUNT any more than he endorses the Ads by Google at the top of the page) He probably didn't even place the link, but "accepted" it as a method to generate funding to keep himself in business. Ads are an "evil necessity" that often mislead new readers!

Here is the ultimate XP Registry authority Marc Liron
http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-registry.html

I've benefitted from various articles by Marc Liron on the open (free) Internet, but I haven't been able to purchased his book.
You might be able to decide to do so.

More about ERUNT……..
Yes the Registry can get cluttered.
Yes invalid addresses can be saved there for ever and ever.

But think of the actual "time" it takes for the computer to read a directed inquiry of a few lines…
It would be measured in nano-seconds!
So all the "time" they are talking about "saving" by removing "supposedly empty spaces" in Registry would be very hard to put a stop-watch to.

And "Defragging" the Registry….. A good idea in theory, but again benefits not likely to be noticed by the user!

Now…..
Compare "unnoticeable improvement" difference - against "automated error" and surrendering your machine's health to a "black box" procedure!

Now, If you want to learn Procedure for backing up and editing your Registry, go to the MS KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756
AND BE CAREFUL!!!

Now a Note regarding: Pacman123
He's too polite to say so, but he has "saved my bacon", more than once!
Pacman123 is a well respected helper in several well known Forums.
I have learned much from Pacman123 and occasionally ask for and receive his generous helpfulness.

Regarding CleanUp! I use it. I use it frequently. I love it.
It is not a "automated Registry cleaning tool"
It cleans up Temporary Junk Files from the Drive file structure.
I use the default settings.
The author Steven Gould is a knowledgeable guy who is open to correspondence on specific issues related to CleanUp! I have been lucky enough to correspond with him on occasion, though I never impose issues that I could just as easily resolve in Forums.

Use CleanUp! 4.51
If you haven't seen me recommending it in other threads, you eventually will.
To give you an idea of what utilities like CleanUp! 4.51 actually do:
Here's the Manual Procedure that I recommend for junk file removal:
In the middle, I speak about automated cleanup tools (in bold text):

Here's a complete routine to manually do that:
To clean out all the temporary files and cookies on your system.
Go to
Start - Run - (type) "cleanmgr" without the quotes.
Let it scan your system for files to remove.
Check these three boxes and then press ok to remove:
Temporary Files,
Temporary Internet Files,
Recycle Bin.

Then GoTo:
Start - Find/search - Files or folders - in the named box, type: *.tmp
When the list is generated, choose
Edit - select all - File - delete.

Note: If you cannot delete them all at once because you have too many, then click and hold ctrl and highlight a batch of them at a time. Once highlighted, R-click over the highlight and select delete.

Then use
Start - Run - (type) "%temp%" (without the quotes).
Delete the entire contents of that "temp" folder
(use Edit - Select All - press "Delete", click "Yes").

Then,
Empty your Temporary Internet Cache completely.
Close all instances of Outlook and Internet Explorer,
then use "Control Panel - Internet Options - General tab and click the "Delete File" button.
When prompted place a check in: "Delete all offline content", then click OK.

Then, use Windows Explorer to clean out ALL the other temp folders on your system
(navigate to the folder, (as listed below)
use "Edit - Select All", press "Delete", click "Yes"

* C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\
* C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\
* C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\

* C:\Windows\Prefetch\

* Empty your "Recycle Bin".

Note: This is a long manual way to clear out .tmp files. It is safe and highly recommended.

Eventually you may wish to use a "tool" to do this procedure for you on a regular basis.
Download: CleanUp! 4.51 from http://www.stevengould.org
Read about all the options for using this device and use it only after you are satisfied that you understand what it will do for you. I use it regularly, and have a squeaky clean computer as a result. I recommend the default setting that are set during installation.



After doing the above routines, do this separate cleaning of your ActiveX, applets and Java routines:
GoTo:
Control Panel - JAVA - (this will open your JAVA Control Panel)
(in some cases the steps might be Control Panel - JAVA plugins)

Once your JAVA Control Panel is open, you will see a Button down toward the bottom of that panel labeled "Delete Files"
Click - Delete Files - OK, Then close your JAVA Control Panel and Reboot.

Note: The current version of JAVA Runtime Environment is Version build 09. If you are running an older version, there are specific "vulnerabilities" that have corrected in Version 09. Recommended: Use Add/Remove to "completely" uninstall your Current JAVA Runtime Environment. Then go to C:\Program Files and Delete the entire Folder of JAVA. Then install the newest version of JAVA Runtime Environment. Get it here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Please note that in doing the above routines, you will "lose" any auto-login settings that Window has saved for you regarding Websites that you visit that require Username and Password to access the site, and any ActiveX scripts necessary to interact with the Website.

This is not a problem, since you will merely be required to "re-enter" your Username and Password the next time you visit any such site. (for instance, Here at TomCoyote) Or you will be asked to download a fresh copy of any required ActiveX. After that, Windows will again remember the settings for you and you will be able to auto-login again.

It's a good idea to clear up these features on a fairly regular basis, for a couple of reasons. First, ActiveX and applet routines occasionally become corrupted and can be infected with some malwares. Second, temporary internet files are often the first entry point of spyware/malware.


You will notice that Malware Removal Experts will sometimes recommend Ccleaner or ATF Cleaner.
Please know that they are making those recommendations for specific reasons!
Ccleaner can be a little too agressive for my comfort.
ATF Cleaner has more user options, and you should read tutorials before deciding to use it if you do.

If you use a "junk file" remover like CleanUp! 4.51, Ccleaner, or ATF Cleaner…….. Use (1) one of them and stick with that single (1) one!

About Sarah Brightman, streaming audio:
http://angelrecords.com/diva/sb.html <—– This page starts loading streaming audio immediately
or
http://www.sarah-brightman.com/new_albums.html

On the Website Page - Click —> "Click Here to Sample New Releases"


Keep Learning & Enjoy
Doug
Many thanks for your post, your large and so informative post.

I have good news and bad.

Firstly I have done no harm so don't panic!

To the minor things first. Sarah Brightman's web pages you gave me are the very same I 'googled' and tried to access yesterday - I was told to get Flashplayer 9, thought I had it, but clicked download, then was told it was downloaded successfully but I cannot get past the black page on either of her sites to proceed - keeps telling me to get Flash Player 9! Gave up.

I read your post with enthusiasm, thanks for the words of wisdom. I decided to clean up manually and follow your instructions, but ran into trouble immediately when I went to start/run/ * .tmp. When the list was generated there were 84522 folders that looked to me to be my entire Windows Explorer set up. I was suspicious from the start when I saw them all sitting there, went to edit/selected the first three/right clicked and saw that they were many MBs so backed off, but not before the computer froze. Went into ctrl/alt/delete/applications and 'search' showed "not responding". Ended task.

I then used Cleanup 4.5.1 as you suggested with default settings, which took Mbs away. Went back into start/search/* .tmp, and the same 84522 were still there.

Proceeding on to "%temp%" without the quotes the files (2) will not delete, says being used when nothing else is open or no other user is even enabled.

Ran a-squared with no spyware and AVG with no viruses.

Recycle bin shows it has something in it, but when I double click and open it, there is nothing in it, then I click "empty recycle bin" it asks if I want to delete 8 items! Just started showing this afternoon.

After attempting the above, did the ActiveX, Applets and Java routines successfully.

That is about it for today, don't worry, all is working well, have lost as you say 'auto logins' not a problem …. have recovered most of them.

The computer did not like doing anything after the 84522 folders were sitting in search. Froze three times, so what am I doing wrongly please Doug?

regards,

H
Hi Tallin,

The "upside" of doing things "manually" is that you can tell your machine "exactly" what to do.
The "downside" of doing things "manually is that your machine will do "exactly" what you tell it to do.
_________________________________________________________
I think you have a "typo" kind of error going on.
You state:

when I went to start/run/ * .tmp

<—- this should not be a Start - Run procedure AND <—- there should be no space between "*" and ".tmp"
(That is an incorrect instruction, and not what I printed to you.)
An incorrect Run instruction like that, may/probably tries to "open" all 84522 files and folders that exist on your machine all at the same time! Yikes! No wonder Windows decided to lock up!

Here's my instruction, quoted from above:

Then GoTo:
Start - Find/search - Files or folders - in the named box, type: *.tmp
When the list is generated, choose
Edit - select all - File - delete.


Please note that this is a "Find/Search" routine, not a "Run" routine
Please note that there is no "space" in the named box. *.tmp
This "Search" routine will find (variousfilenames.tmp) that get littered around in the Operating System during ordinary computer activity.
_____________________________________________________


You apparently entered the following command "run" line correctly:

Start - Run - (type) "%temp%" (without the quotes).
Delete the entire contents of that "temp" folder
(use Edit - Select All - press "Delete", click "Yes").

But found that the files "would not delete"

this is sometimes indicative of faulty file corrupted during download.
This can also indicate an "active process" that "should not" be running from C:\windows\Temp

Please do the following:
You will have to set Folder options to
checkmark: "show hidden files and folders"
and
uncheckmark: "hide protected operating system files"
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\Temp
(that's where the (2) two files reside that are giving you problems when you try to delete them.)
Please tell us what these 2 items are.
Also "right-click" on each of them and Select - "Properties"
Please tell us about any additional useful information about these items that may be disclosed in Properties.

After you provide the additional information of "file name" and anything useful from "Properties", we can consider steps to deal with these items.

As to the Flash Player issue, you may benefit from the instructions that provided for Starwalker in:
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=71160

I believe you were following that thread, and you ran into difficulty with "proxy server" when trying to do an Online-installation of JAVA Runtime Environment.

I do not recommend the "Online-installation" at this time.
Please download the Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language jre-1_5_0_09-windows-i586-p.exe 15.74 MB , here:

Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9 released
- http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
(Look for "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9", about half way down on that page)


Read through the rest of that thread for other suggestions regarding Flash Player.

Best Regards
:rant2: Yes I have gone mighty red!

I am really sorry, I miss wrote to you start/run * .tmp
I actually only made (1) one mistake when executing your instructions and that was leaving that space. I did type at the time start/search/find/files/folders. Leaving that space was how it looked to me, but I now know I was incorrect in assuming that.

Files that will not delete when start/search/find file/folders *.tmp are:
ZLTOOa3d.TMP Size 256KB size on disk 4KB
ZLTOOa47.TMP Size 256KB size on disk 4KB
Adobe Update Manager.exe .tmp Size 306 Size on disk 308

Regarding start/run/%temp% the two files that will not delete are:
Perfib_Perfdata_6do dat Nero Media Player 16.0KB
ramE ram size 164KB size on disk 4.00KB Real Player Presentation.

The dialog box tells me all the above files cannot be deleted as they are being used by another person!

The Recycle Bin is acting normally today.

Flash Player issue. Some days ago I downloaded and installed offline (JRE) 5.0 update 9. with success and it and Flash Player 9ActiveX are both showing in Add and Remove. Yes, I did read the "Starwalker" thread, following it closely. Do I need DirectX9 2.10MB? Where do I look for it as it does not show in 'Add and Remove' or 'All Programs'. Shockwave Player is in 'Add and Remove'.

Once again thank you for all your help, I hope the above explanation of results are what you are looking for.

Best regards,
Yes you need DirectX 9.0c.
Check your own version of DirectX by navigating to C:\Program Files\DirectX\setup\DxDiag
Double-click on DxDiag.
This brings up the "DirectX Diagnostic Tool - Screen
Your "version" will be displayed at the bottom of the main screen (System tab)


These are OK. They are the present settings and Logs being created today by your ZoneAlarm.
It always keeps one and maybe two. But it can build up to hundreds that are safe to delete.
You just have to keep the last two.

ZLTOOa3d.TMP Size 256KB size on disk 4KB
ZLTOOa47.TMP Size 256KB size on disk 4KB


I don't know about that Adobe file.
Do you have Adobe auto-updater active in MSCONFIG StartUp(tab)
Turn it OFF.

I have no idea whatsoever about this file:

ramE ram size 164KB size on disk 4.00KB Real Player Presentation.


Since you Run RealPlayer for your Radio, it may be required.

Otherwise, your machine is free of the mega-mbs of junk that CleanUp! 4.51 removed for your.

That's reason to dance and celebrate!

I think you still need to install Flash Player.
Use the "uninstall tool" I linked for Starwalker.
use it to uninstall Flash Player, then go to the site I linked to do the online Flash Player installation.

And cross your fingers that your "proxy configuration" doesn't mess that one up!

I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Best Regards
okay, I will uninstall and reinstall Flash Player. My computer tells me my DirectX is in Windows/system32/directX/Dinput which is full of config settings and images. I was only able to find dxdiag through 'search' dxdiag File version 5.3.2600.2180. Dxdaig was not in Program Files. I have downloaded DirectX 9.0c but it will not install, says: "Extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low disk space or swapping file) or corrupted cabinet." Memory is not low, only 325MB used of 1024MB and have 50GB of free disk space. I did not find or view the "This brings up the "DirectX Diagnostic Tool - Screen Your "version" will be displayed at the bottom of the main screen (System tab)" Only have four items in start/run/msconfig/startup and none are Adobe. I'm not dancing yet, but close I hope! I will send this and reboot to see if that improves things. kind regards,

I have downloaded DirectX 9.0c


From what source did you download?

Please be sure to create a "Restore Point" prior to attempting to install DirectX 9.0c

Here's the download site for installation with open Internet connection:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en

this site is recommended for installation if the owner/user does not have internet connection at time of installation (read- offline installation)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en

If you use the second, "offline" installation method, and if you are offered a choice of "region/language" be sure to select the language that is most suitable to your needs.

Either one is "correct".
I'm just offering the second one, incase your are unable to download/install while actively online.

Best Regards
:D Hi Doug,

The E-book, http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-registry.html
I have been remiss, I would like to give it to you for Christmas………….and don't argue! It would be good for you and for me far above my talents to absorb. So together we will work out how this can be done with private messages. Okay. No argument here.

I know one thing, I am listening to Sarah Brightman at this very moment. So all is well as they say, how I did it I don't know, but all you said to do I did and it worked of course. Did someone tell me computers were a joy to behold. Today this one has been just plain hard work.

To answer your last post, my download was from the same source as the one you gave me. The secret I think was to uninstall flash, and then reinstall. I do have a new restore point called "Doug's hard work".

Thanks a million, great work, super talent you have.

Best regards, and I repeat no arguments please, will be in touch if I don't hear from you via private source

Very best regards,
Tallin, Glad you got it sorted out. I don't argue with ladies, at least not harshly. But please let's you and I set a good example here. TomCoyote is a site that allows people to exchange ideas, learn, and help one another. We are all volunteers. I've learned much from Senior Members here, and already consider myself a winner for receiving the wealth of knowledge that has been freely given to me. I also feel blessed that I've been able to give back in my own small way. And I hope to continue doing so. Thank you very much for your graciously spoken appreciation. It means alot to me, and I thank you. I hope that you too, will continue learning. And I hope that you will also have the opportunity to help others when you find that you are able. If you also have the inclination and ability to help in a concrete way, please consider the link below in my signature line to contribute to the TomCoyote Website. By doing so, you will be helping those who have helped me, and all the rest of us, to enjoy the benefits of this wonderful site. Best Regards, Doug

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI