This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

JavaScript Help. Video's won't play

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I try to go on www.youtube.com to see some video clips and it says… Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Click here to get the latest flash player. I checked under Internet Tools, Advanced and the Java is checked and it is for Internet explorer. I have IE 7.
Hi Starwalker,

Go to Control Panel - JAVA
Double-click to open JAVA Control Panel
In the first section of the "General Tab" screen "Click" on the "About" Button
a new screen will open telling you what version of JAVA Runtime Environment you have installed.
You will see a line like the Following: Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_09)
The build version should be "09" or higher

JAVA scripts and ActiveX applets do get corrupted, even when IE is appropriately set to accept JAVA.
Lower on that same "General" screen, you will see "Temporary Internet Files" and a Button "Delete Files"
Click on "Delete Files" allowing JAVA Control Panel to delete all files.
Note: this will have deleted all ActiveX scripts that you may have "accepted" during previous Web Browsing
As a result, when you re-visit websites that require ActiveX, you will be asked to accept their ActiveX again.
This will only happen the first time you visit such sites, afterwhich the ActiveX will have been saved again.

Now that you've Cleared your JAVA CACHE (in the above "Delete Files" procedure) you should consider Updating your JAVA Runtime Environment if the "build version" is lower than _09.
If it is lower than _09…..
Use Control Panel - Add/Remove to uninstall JAVA Runtime Environment.
You may need to repeat this action in Add/Remove until all Versions are Uninstalled.
Older Versions have "vulnerabilities" that have been identified and all Older Versions should be uninstalled.

Go here to Download the latest Version of JAVA Runtime Environment

Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9 released
- http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
(Look for "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9", amongst other downloads on that page)


Save the Download to a location easy for you to find.
Log off of the Internet and close all other applications.
Click on the Downloaded JAVA to perform the installation "while off-line".

Regarding FlashPlayer.
Go here to get the latest version of Adobe Macromedia FlashPlayer
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/in…=ShockwaveFlash
***Note: "Remove" the checkmark from the offer to download/install Yahoo Toolbar
(Unless for some godawful reason you want Yahoo Toolbar…… I sure don't.)
Click on "Install Now" to install Macromedia FlashPlayer. (Stay online at the site for this installation)
The site will display an animatation saying something like "Installation Complete" when it is finished.

Please let us know if the above procedure of deleting old scripts, uninstalling and reinstalling, has corrected your problem.

Best Regards
Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_06-b05) I did the update button and it says I have the latest version. :blink: Ok, I have to update it. The last one on the list of updated versions? JDK 5.0 Update 9 The Java SE Development Kit (JDK) includes: the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) command-line development tools, such as compilers and debuggers, that are necessary or useful for developing applets and applications
Download this item, (from about the Middle of the web page:
Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9
The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications.

First:
Download and Save (but don't run) Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update

Next:
Use Control Panel - Add/Remove to uninstall all versions of Java Runtime Environment from your machine, before installing the latest version that you have just downloaded and saved.

Finally:
Then go off-line. Close other programs. Install the downloaded Java Runtime Environment.
Reboot your machine and post a reply back regarding how your machine is now running.
You may want to browse to "youtube" to determine if you can now play the media.

Best Regards
I have been having the same problem. Whats the difference between uninstalling Java and then reinstalling than just updating it? Edit: Nevermind, it doesn't work if you just press update.
The Sun JAVA automatic update function does not always "uninstall" any old versions of JAVA Runtime Environment. Thus older versions are left on the machine. These older versions have "known vulnerabilities" that keep the machine "at risk" until uninstalled, even if the updated version has been installed over top. I've seen machines with as many as 3 older Java Runtime Environment versions installed, sometimes 12 or more months old. Not good. Best Regards
Hi Doug, I was following this thread doing just what you were advising but have run into troube. I also was running Java runtime Envirionment 1.5.0_6 although I have Java update automatically enabled. I followed your instructions, uninstalled through Add and Remove, downloaded (JRE) 5.0 update 9 however it says it will not install due to "The installer cannot proceed with the current Internet Connections proxy settings - Please check the installation notes for more info"? I don't know what that means - At this time I have no Java at all due to uninstalling the above. Where have I made a mistake. Would be grateful of a fast reply to my problem. Best regards
Hi Starwalker, Pacman123 just sent me a note saying that he was investigating if it might be better to Uninstall FlashPlayer via Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs, prior to going to the FlashPlayer installation Website. He may have a point. He also may have additional recommendations about cleaning up any "remnants" of the old FlashPlayer that Add/Remove doesn't get. But at this time, it looks like Add/Remove might help, and might just be enough. Best Regards
Hi Starwalker,

Here's another thought……….

I went over to youtube.com and played a few Videos just to see if maybe it was a problem related to the site, since they've recently been purchased by Google.

Nope. I played several videos just fine.
My machine is a lame old PIII 600mhz, that I actually built from scraps I got out of dumpsters, and running Win98. Hey, the price was right!
But I have JRE build version ……_09
And DirectX version 9.0c
And the most recent FlashPlayer and ShockWave Player.

What I'm wondering is if you may need to update your DirectX to Version 9.0c
Microsoft has DirectX 9.0c as a download, here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en

I don't think it is required at youtube.com, or even related at all, but you might want to update your Shockwave Player too.
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/

Best Regards
Hi starwalker, I had same problem,can you try this :- Go to Start……..search ……….Files and Folders……Type…. Flash when it has finished searching there should be a file called ……Set up……..right click choose open it should then ask if you want to install ActiveX click yes………..when i did this i was able to view vids on YouTube….. Hope this helps. Regards pacman123
Nope, didn't work. I checked under the objects in Tools, Internet Options. I have 2 of the Java objects on there. They both say the same thing and the icons are a gold sheild with an exclamation mark. Then theres a third one with little blocks. How many of those are supposed to be there?
Hi starwalker, This is what i have under Tools…….Internet options……..Advanced 1 java with box checked that says ……….Use JRE 1.5.0_09 for (restart required) nothing else with regards to Java……. When you uninstalled your out of date version it may have left some files over,i would suggest uninstalling your current version then use search for any files that could be left over and delete any if found, Then re-install upto date version from link Dough has provided, Re-boot Try to install flash again,if you don't get a prompt to install activex look for the setup file and run that….. Hope this helps…….. Regards pacman123
I uninstalled Java. I did a search with the keyword "flash". I got 33 files found! Do I get rid of all of them or which ones? Is there a more refined search to find just the files I need to delete?
Hi StarWalker,

I didn't know you were wanting to uninstall FlashPlayer, but it would do no harm and might give you a clean shot at a fresh installation.

DO NOT DELETE FLASH PLAYER as a method of uninstalling.

Go here:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase…cfm?id=tn_14157

Download the Windows version of the uninstaller.

Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller

Download the Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller:
Flash Player uninstallers
Windows: uninstall_flash_player.exe (182K)


Log off the Internet.
Close all other Windows
Turn off any background scanning AntiSpyware or WinPatrol if you have it.
Turn off your AntiVirus.

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to where you saved the Flash Player Uninstaller.
Uninstall Flash Player.
Reboot

Go get Fresh downloads of both JAVA Runtime Environment and Flash Player.

Use the Offline procedure to install JAVA Runtime Environment.

Flash Player (I think) has to be installed while online.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI