This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

More Frustration

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi All,
After spending last night and the better part of today reading this Forum and applying some of the fixes that I've read about, I've come to the conclusion that my Win XP Pro install is corrupt! I have tried the "SElf Help" section and looked at different posts with similar problems and followed their suggestions but still have the problem. Could someone look at my HJT log and see if I'm right? I have run AD Aware, ATF, Killbox, Spybot, AVG AV and Spyware, unlocker (to remove a pesky file), Windows event log, and HJT…. :rant2:

Thanks,
Chopperdoc



Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:29:55 PM, on 10/7/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Saitek\Software\ProfilerU.exe
F:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\YourWare Solutions\FreeRAM XP Pro\FreeRAM XP Pro.exe
H:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
F:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
F:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Profiler] C:\Program Files\Saitek\Software\ProfilerU.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] F:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FreeRAM XP] "C:\Program Files\YourWare Solutions\FreeRAM XP Pro\FreeRAM XP Pro.exe" -win
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {3F0EECCE-E138-11D1-8712-0060083D83F5} (LPViewer Class) - http://www.mgisoft.com/ActiveX/LPControl.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1137189674404
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1157754044109
O16 - DPF: {E8F628B5-259A-4734-97EE-BA914D7BE941} - http://driveragent.com/files/driveragent.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - H:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - F:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - F:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Spyware Doctor (SDhelper) - PC Tools Research Pty Ltd - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
Hello and welcome. I don't see anything bad in your log. Lets try this: At the C:> type in scanreg /restore. (Note that there is a space between scanreg and /restore) It will prompt you for your choice of registry to restore. Pick a date of a registry that used to work properly. Then you'll be prompted to reboot.
Hi I attempted to run scanreg /restore at the command prompt, C:\ and in windows, start\run but get the same error. "scanreg /restore is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file"
You can use windows sfc (system file checker) You'd need your XP CD to make this work.
Click Start> Run> type sfc /scannow Note the space.
(Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Had to run SFC twice. The first time I had to hit "Retry" 10-15 times, the second time, 6 times. Should I keep running it until I get no stoppage? Also, is there a log file for SFC?

Had to run SFC twice. The first time I had to hit "Retry" 10-15 times, the second time, 6 times. Should I keep running it until I get no stoppage? Also, is there a log file for SFC?

No log file as far as I know. I'd run it untill it runs without any problems.
Ran SFC 3 times. Twice with 10 "Retrys", rebooted, last time with 10 "retrys". Not sure where the 6 came from in previous post, may have lost count. This time I wrote them down….. :P Are Windows operating .dll's all in the same folder or spread out through the program?

Ran SFC 3 times. Twice with 10 "Retrys", rebooted, last time with 10 "retrys". Not sure where the 6 came from in previous post, may have lost count. This time I wrote them down….. :P Are Windows operating .dll's all in the same folder or spread out through the program?

.dll's are spread out. Is it giving you errors?
Try running it in safe mode.


Restart your computer in Safe Mode.

Press F8 after the Power-On Self Test (POST) is done. If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, try restarting and then pressing F8 several times after the POST screen.
Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter.
This can take several miniutes to load.
SFC wouldn't run in safe mode! Tried serveral times but a window would popup and disapear too fast to see what it was. I did run dllcompare.exe and it found no faults. 5891 .dll's in Windows! SFC, run in normal mode, was giving me errors in roughly the same place on the progress bar each time but no way to tell which .dll they were.

Ran SFC 3 times. Twice with 10 "Retrys", rebooted, last time with 10 "retrys". Not sure where the 6 came from in previous post, may have lost count. This time I wrote them down….. :P Are Windows operating .dll's all in the same folder or spread out through the program?

That might not be a problem.
How's it running now?
Had a BSOD when in Safe Mode…Funny thing though, I play Tiger Woods Golf for an hour or so, no problem. Let the computer stand idle for 5 or 10 minutes, get a BSOD. Occasionally, a uncommanded reboot.
Hi, After 3 tries I finally completed PCPitstop. It gave no appreciable errors. I believe I need to reformat my HD and reinstall windows to see if this still is happening. That will tell me if I have a hardware issue I think. I have tried Video drivers from 66.XX to 91.XX on my FX5600 with the same results. I have swapped my DDR around and used one at a time but with the same results. Heatwise, my GPU runs at 140-142f, may be high but no bsod's or reboots while heavy loaded, ie, Falcon4 or TW Golf.

I believe I need to reformat my HD and reinstall windows to see if this still is happening.

That's what I would do if it were me.


Yeah, I think I will……I really appreciate your help in this. I actually enjoy the troublshooting and trying to figure out the issues but I'm limited in the "Nuts and Bolts" of how programs work. I have learned a few things the past two nights from you and Dough and think ya'll do super in helping people out. Thaks again!

Jim "Chopperdoc" Wilson

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI