This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

computer restarts when i turn it on

33 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Thanks. Ill keep those tips in mind… So the results of memtest: (with both rams) Pentium 4 (0.18) 1513 MHz L1 Cache: 8 12404 Mb/s L2 Cache: 256k 10582 Mb/s Memory: 256M 844 MB/s Chipset: SiS 645 / FSB:100MHz Walltime - Cached - RsvdMem - Memmap - Cache - ECC - Test - Pass - 10:50:00- 256M - 76K - e820-Std - On - Off - Std - 54 - Errors - Ecc Ers 655 - 0 ——————————————————————– Tst - Pass - Failing Address - Good - Bad - Err-Bits-Count 4 - 0 - 0000cae94e8 -202.5MB - 6fb02468 - 6ff02468- 004000 - 657 Chan 1 ————————————————————————————–
Hi Shan92, If you decide to purchase only one 512mb RAM stick, you may (or not) be better off using only the one New Stick by itself. A few reasons: Your current RAM has error faults. 1. Unless you remove one and test each separately, you will not know which one is bad (or possibly both). Therefore you could (unknowningly) add a "bad" stick to the new one and your machine would still have the same overall RAM memory errors. 2. The New RAM stick may not work happily with one of the old ones. When Considering RAM, "more is better", but with some exceptions of compatability. You'll have to "try out" various combinations. New 512mb alone, New 512mb with old #1, or with old #2 Memtest86 may help you make such decisions, and/or performance of your machine may be the deciding factor. Unfortuanately, there are no "hard and fast" rules, except that 512mb + 128mb "should" work in your machine. I'd prefer to have two identical chips running. But I've had plenty of success adding "any ole brand and size" chip to existing DDR RAM Best Regards
hmmm. Good Point. I didnt think of that :P I'll run the memtest and tell u the results. anywayz, just wanted to tell you that Im constantly getting this error after every 2 minutes: SubSpooler system has encountered a problem and needs to be closed. We are sorry for the inconvinience. Send Error Report - Dont Send ———————————————————————————- I just click on dont send and it goes away. Alrite, since I have done my memtest, can I use driver Cleaner now?
SubSpooler system usually refers to a Printer.
What Printer do you have installed?

Read here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?…Ben-us%3B324757
________________________________________________________

Yes, you can uninstall your nVidia driver via Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs
Next Reboot
Next Run Drivercleaner (read the instructions on the page where you downloaded DriverCleaner Professional)
Here: http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.php

Hopefully, that will cause Windows XP to revert to basic VGA resolution (ugly but safe)
Then try installing the "older" nvidia Driver that I linked previously.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html
__________________________________

Keep in mind that if you are running with RAM memory that has faults, you may continue experiencing random and unexpected error in various systems of your machine.
This "could" keep causing you to track down and trying to repair various apparent problems, whose source may or may not be errors generated due to faulty RAM and not actually problems with the subsystem that is identified in Error messages which may alert you.

Hopefullly you will be able to promptly correct the RAM issue, and then procede to resolve other system related problems, knowing that you you have good read and input/output from your RAM.

Will you please Run a fresh PCPitstop Full Test and Post the new TechExpress.

Let us know how you are progressing, pariticularly with the RAM memory issue.

Best Regards
Hello again Doug, I was sick and tired of everything! (The kernel error, Nvidia Drivers and especially the blue screen). So I reinstalled windows again! :D So now I'll install the old version of the Nvidia drivers which you mentioned. I hope it stops the blue screen

There are "clips" at each end of your RAM Stick slots.
Press on the clip to move it down and away from the end of you RAM stick.
Then with two fingers, one at each end, holding the edge, (not the flat surface) pull firmly upward.

To install, reverse the above, and close the lever clips to lock in your Ram stick into its slot


This is a little stupid question….lol :weee:
well…….I couldnt press on the clip to move it down. The graphics card comes in the way!
I was thinking to use some sort of tool to push it away from the RAM stick but it could damage the chipset and so I didnt.
Get's crowded in some of those places, doesn't it.

In some cases, I've had to physically remove a Video Card in order to gain access to removing/replacing RAM sticks.

Your Video card is secured in (2) two places in addition to the slot socket.
Remove the phillips-head screw, then locate and use a finger to press aside clip at the forward bottom of your Video Card as you pull it from the slot.

This image may be of use in locating screw and pressure clip on Video Card:
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3811370

Remember to use static electricity cautions to protect your machine's components.

Best Regards
Hi, That uploaded pic could not be displayed. anywayz, My bro told me that we cannot have 2 ram sticks of different speeds so he's just gonna sell both of them and buy 2 256MB RAM sticks to make it up to 512MB. My bro is in Pakistan right now and he told me to wait until he comes. He's gonna buy and install the RAM himself. I think I shouldnt do it. So are you sure that there is no way, other than installing more ram, to stop this auto-rebooting??? Well we have tried a lot of things. The number of times my PC used to reboot has reduced from 10-15 times to 2-5 times. ———————————————————-
Hi Dough,

Just wanted to tell u that I got rid of that stupid computer. It's Intel core 2 Duo 1.86 GHz. 1GB RAM. Intel Graphics card (Intel® GMA 3000)
Here is the link for my new computer's tests.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=YF63FWQZQ4WSAV3J

anywayz, Im getting some problems while trying to play a game. When I double click it, A black screen appears and then it comes bak to normal (back to the windows screen) and nothing happens. My friend also has an Intel Graphics Card (version different frm mine) and he says he has the same problem. Well the game works absolutely fine in my laptop (ATI Radeon Graphics). So I guess there is a problm with Intel graphics cards.
I think I need to download and install drivers but I cant find them.


Thanks,
Shan
Hi, Just for my interest, I had this problem also, It is somthing to do with your Video Card, There may not be enough MB on it. What game do you try to play? What Memory of Video card do you have on your PC? And what is the minimum to play the game (found on the back of the Game box)
I think I should have posted a new topic for this…. anywayz, The game is Need For Speed Carbon. My video card's memory is 256MB and the minimum requrements are given below: Windows XP Service Pack 2 (32Bit Edition only), Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 operating system Intel Pentium 4 (or equivalent) CPU running at 1.7GHz or higher 64MB DirectX 9.0c compatible video card (NVIDIA Geforce4 Ti/ATI Radeon 8500 or higher) using a supported chipset (see below) 512MB RAM DirectX compatible sound card 4.9 GB of HD space 8X or faster DVD Drive
Hi Shan92, I'm glad you are up and running with a new machine. Yes, good that you started a new thread for the Video Card / and game issue. Hope your Holiday Season is treating you well. Doug

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI