This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

svchost demons

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am unable to use the MS windows update website to get any patches or fixes. Whenever I try, the computer locks up for about 20-30 minutes while MS is supposedly checking my computer to see what I need. Eventually a screen is displayed that says something like "unable to get updates, check your settings", or something to that effect. After that, the computer returns to normal… any applications I attempted to access during that 20-30 minute span of time suddenly open all at once, and I can navigate at will or surf the web freely UNLESS I go to the windows update website where the trouble begins anew. When I look in the task manager under processes while the computer is locked up, one of the "svchost" items is consuming all the processing power. I cannot end this process… "access is denied". The same chain of events happens when the computer is initially booted up, except (I believe) the attempt to access windows update is happening in the background so there is no evidence to indicate exactly WHAT is jamming things up. When I look in the windows update log, I can see that the last time this computer successfully updated was on April 26, 2006. All attempts since then have failed. I have submitted to the "genuine advantage" routine and let MS look over my OS, so I don't think that is the snag. Please help me??
Run a HJT and Save the HJT Log to Post over in the Malware Removal Forum. If you get a clean bill of health over there, we can look at possible Operating System snags and fixex. Best Regards
Thanks Dough ! Actually, I had already posted my HJT log in that forum. I was just trying to have both bases covered. I think most if not all of the malware is gone now. In any case, it is there and hopefully someone will look it over soon. Thanks again for your prompt reply.
Ooops! I accidently posted the previous reply from my computer instead of my wifes so it is under my screen name. Sorry for any confusion this may cause.
Hi Limited, Happens to me occasionally when posting from a friends machine. No problem. Of course follow through at HJT first. Then you can probably already guess the first few steps here in "other computer problems". And that would be: System File Checker Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI