This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Person helping me disappeared

35 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Question: If I do any scan or any number of scans and the issues aren't addressed immediately, don't all these scan results become obsolete?
Yes, please do. I've spent lots of hours doing scans and then we never get around to addressing them. I'm sorry, I know this is free and I do appreciate the effort, but it's paralyzing not being able to really do much with my computer while these scans are running and I do them knowing that they need to be addressed shortly there after and expecting that the scanning time won't be lost cause I can't get a hold of you. Anyway, yes, please get me another person to help me if you can. Again, thanks for the help, I do appreciate it.
Thanks for helping!
There are abnormal delays in certain pages loading up. Sometimes links can float unconnected in "loading" hell for up to a minute if I don't reclick the link. I'm finding popups where I didn't before. All the scans done with the previous person helping me came up with lots of stuff that was apparently infected with some form of malware or another. You can see those logs above in this thread.

Here's my hijackthis log from two minutes ago..

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:12:24 PM, on 9/23/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\Smc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\AccuWeatherDesktopAlerts\AccuWeatherDesktopAlerts.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTSvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\gbpvr\GBPVRRecordingService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\runservice.exe
C:\Program Files\MacOpener\FORMATM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Photodex\ProShowGold\ScsiAccess.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\UAService7.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\BitLord\BitLord.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\hijack\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.emachines.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: EWPBrowseObject Class - {68F9551E-0411-48E4-9AAF-4BC42A6A46BE} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\EWPBrowseLoader.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] "RUNDLL32.EXE" C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] "C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe" /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] "C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\Smc.exe" -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] "C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] "nwiz.exe" /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] "RUNDLL32.EXE" C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AccuWeatherDesktopAlerts] C:\Program Files\AccuWeatherDesktopAlerts\AccuWeatherDesktopAlerts.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all by Net Transport - C:\Program Files\Xi\NetTransport 2\NTAddList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download by Net Transport - C:\Program Files\Xi\NetTransport 2\NTAddLink.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_Print.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\npjpi150_06.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\npjpi150_06.dll
O9 - Extra button: ICQ - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\Program Files\ICQ\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\Program Files\ICQ\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.emachines.com
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/english/kavwebscan_unicode.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1099665745687
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {9C024426-7859-4B2D-AB4C-B1E370AE7549} - http://us.mcafee.com/Apps/WSC/en-us/WscWlanScannerCtrl.cab
O16 - DPF: {A8739816-022C-11D6-A85D-00C04F9AEAFB} (WebEyeControl) - http://www.rockefellercenter.com/viewer/wg_webeye.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/SymAData.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTSvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: GB-PVR Recording Service - - C:\Program Files\gbpvr\GBPVRRecordingService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LicCtrl Service (LicCtrlService) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\runservice.exe
O23 - Service: MacFormatService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\MacOpener\FORMATM.EXE" /SERVICE (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe" -d -f "%ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.ini (file missing)
O23 - Service: ScsiAccess - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Photodex\ProShowGold\ScsiAccess.exe
O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\Smc.exe
O23 - Service: SecuROM User Access Service (V7) (UserAccess7) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\UAService7.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner»

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.


(If you use FireFox or the Opera browser
To keep saved passwords, click No at the prompt.)

It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time.

Next:
lets see if this will help speed it up.

Backup your Registry…
- Press "CTRL - ALT - DEL" keys all at the same time to start "Task Manager"
- In the Task Manager window click on "File", then from the drop-down menu select "New Task (Run…)"
- In the "Create New Task" window enter\type "regedit" (without quotes)
- Once Regedit opens click on the FILE menu and select Export
- Save the file as backup. Save the file somewhere you will remember and not delete.
IMPORTANT: make sure to set the export range to ALL



I recommend you download RegSeeker. Extract it to it's own folder, open and double click RegSeeker.exe to start the program. Maximize the window and click clean registry. Check all sections and click OK. When the scan is complete, verify the backup box in lower left corner is checked and click the select all button, then select all again. Then right click within the search results and select delete. Run it again and again, deleting everything it finds until it finds nothing. Reboot and make sure your programs are working properly, control panel and add/remove programs windows open, etc (basically just do a quick check of everything). In the event anything was 'broken', you can open RegSeeker, click backups and double click any/all files to put the information back. A reboot may be required for the effects to be seen. Reboot When done.

NOTE: To be extra safe you can choose to only remove the items in RED.
I'll have to do these tonight because I've unfortunately got to go out all day. I'll be back with results as soon as I can. Mentime, is there anything else I can try? I'm a little worried about what you said about my computer being maybe slower after ATF cleaner. Why would that happen?

I'll have to do these tonight because I've unfortunately got to go out all day. I'll be back with results as soon as I can. Mentime, is there anything else I can try? I'm a little worried about what you said about my computer being maybe slower after ATF cleaner. Why would that happen?

It cleans out the Prefect folder and windows rebuilds it when restarted. The fix I suggested doesn't take much time to do. Just do the fix when you have time.

Let me know how it goes.
Hey, Ok, I was just about to do this and I rememberd having some kind of issue months ago with regedit. I tried the instructions to run anew task through Task Manager and sure enough, I got a blank MS-DOS screen and the following message: ——————————————————————— 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem (title of the window that came up) ——————————————————————— C:\WINDOWS\system32\regedit.com The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. CS:03eb IP:039d OP:ff ff ff ff ff Choose 'Close to terminate the application ——– ———- -Close- -Ignore- (two selection buttons) ——– ———- So, good thing I guess that I didn't run ATF yet, huh?

Hey. Thanks for that.

But the first step says "insert the cd". Which CD? The instructions just kind of say that out of nowhere.

Your windows XP CD.

I don't think that an XP cd came with my computer.

Wellthat can limit what we can do.
I want to be sure you don't have any virus's left. This should clean any if found.

Please go HERE and do a online scan.
Let me know what is found.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI