This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Lost settings

307 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Micah, Here is the content of the "files.txt" as you requested. Let me know what else I can do, Gary Volume in drive C has no label. Volume Serial Number is 2CC3-812A Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP\Desktop 09/24/2006 04:59 PM . 09/24/2006 04:59 PM .. 09/23/2006 08:35 AM 45,568 ATF-Cleaner.exe 09/23/2006 12:54 PM backups 07/29/2004 08:11 AM 475,136 BBsetup.exe 09/23/2006 12:57 PM 1,432 DelDomains.inf 09/24/2006 04:54 PM 15 ff.bat 09/24/2006 04:59 PM 0 files.txt 09/16/2006 10:31 AM 11,900 FixWinXPHelp.zip 09/24/2006 12:54 PM 927 gary.reg.reg 09/24/2006 12:57 PM 929 gary.reg.txt 09/24/2006 04:59 PM 929 gary.txt 09/16/2006 11:16 AM 218,112 HijackThis.exe 09/23/2006 12:58 PM 9,104 hijackthis.log 09/23/2006 08:29 AM hosts 09/23/2006 08:27 AM 121,778 hosts.zip 09/18/2006 10:21 PM 262 wallpaperviews.vbs 09/18/2006 06:29 PM WinPFind 09/18/2006 06:28 PM 351,138 WinPFind.zip 09/18/2006 10:09 PM 2,521 xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall.vbs 15 File(s) 1,239,751 bytes 5 Dir(s) 41,779,863,552 bytes free
Copy the text in the following quote box into Notepad:

del gary.reg.reg
del gary.reg.txt
ren gary.txt gary.reg


Save it to your desktop as fixme.bat

Now, the fixme.bat file on the desktop.

It will remove the previous attempts of the "gary.reg" file, and rename the "gary.txt" file you downloaded to "gary.reg"

The "gary" file left on the desktop is the one you want to and see if it will merge into your registry.
:)
Micah, I did as you asked, but received the same results. The same error message comes up saying that there is an "error accessing the registry." It appears that something is blocking any type of registry modifications. Everything that I have been directed to try has given me the same results, Gary
Hi Gary S, I believe that the profile is corrupted. I would recommend that you back up your documents, desktop, and favorites. Then I would delete that user. Then recreate the user and copy your documents, desktop, and favorites back.
Susan, I had already pretty much figured that that was what I would have to do. My question is what files do I need to back all of these things up to lose the least amount possible. Everytime I have tried this in the past, I have been unable to locate the e-mail, browser and destop files to move to the new hard drive or account. Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated. Gary
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI