I get an error messege at shut down that flashes so quickly I am not able to get the whole messege. it has something to do with ccApp and lossing unsaved data. I have completely closed all applications before I attempt to shut down, so I don't understand this messege appears.
It is annoying more than anything… should I just live with it or does it require repair somehow?
ccApp.exe is (if valid) the universal auto-updater for Symantec/Norton products.
If you have Norton AntiVirus, Norton Security Suite, Norton Ghost, or another Symantec/Norton product you will have ccApp.exe.
ccApp.exe will attempt updates at the time you turn on your machine, and may "hold" the downloads until your are finished and ready to turn off your machine, especially if it detects that you are on a slow dial-up connection. It may do this to avoid delaying your use of your machine for other applications, and then cause a "delay" when you turn the machine off, while it downloads and installs Norton updates.
If you are over-zealous in "I have completely closed all applications", then you may be closing down elements of Norton that are needed to complete the download/install of updates.
Or perhaps you have disabled a component of Norton in your StartUp files that prevents completion of updates.
Hope this helps.
Best Regards
Can I use Task manager to see if ccApp is still updating in Norton? What easy method can be used? What component of Norton in the Start-up files would I need to activate to complete up-dates properly?
I emailed Norton who said I had to unitstall Internet Security and reinstall it… so far I havent had the time to do this… I'll let you know if that resolves the problem. I had difficulty in the initial installation and that may have led to the problems I experienced… it makes sense to reinstall the application. It's just a pain but not as big if my computer were to become infected!!!
I'm not one of the tech gurus here, but I've been dealing with the same issues with Norton. I don't know why, but I've gotten that error on several of my machines. When I attempt to uninstall, I get fatal errors.
I found this great Symantec tool that was the only successful way I was able to completely uninstall Norton so I could reinstall it. Maybe it will help you… http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen…005033108162039
Warbler,
As with many/most application programs and utilities, "uninstall – reinstall" is often the first/best solution to a failed program function.
KathiMI1 offers the excellent Symantec "uninstallation" tool to do the job.
However…………… You may have "all" of Norton/Symantec "disabled" in Services and StartUP.
Before you go to the trouble of a complete uninstall-reinstall, consider looking in your MSCONFIG
Start - Run - (type)MSCONFIG
The list of applications and processes that start active at boot, should include around 7 items for Norton/Symantec
Enable them all - Click Apply
Then Click on the Services(tab)
At the bottom of that Panel - checkmark the box "hide all Microsoft"
Now you will see the list of "third-party" applications running in Services, Including Norton/Symantec
"Enable" all Norton/Symantec items.
Click - Apply
Click - Close
You will be asked to Re-boot. Do so.
When your Windows DeskTop comes up, you will be "warned" that you made changes in your System Configuration Utility. No Problem…. That's just what we did. Mark the box to "don't show this again", and Click on the OK/Close
Now try out your Norton to see if it is functioning properly.
For instance: Select to Scan Specific Folder - and pick one of your small data folders.
It should run.
Now try to use the Norton Update function.
It should Access the Internet and check for available updates.
Does Norton Run now?
Are you on a slow Dial-up Modem connection?
Are you on BroadBand DSL or CABLE?
If you are on Dial-up, the ccApp.exe may be attempting Updates, when it detects that you are finished using your machine and have started to log off.
You can probably change settings in Norton to "Update" at another specified time or manually when you click-instruct it to do so, in order to avoid this annoyance at ShutDown.
Please keep us posted with your progress.
Best Regards
Norton has been running fine though it is when I shut down I get the error message that flashes rather quickly. The computer is already in shut down mode, so there is nothing I can do to prevent it from interupting an update. I get this error message every time I shut down and have only one scheduled scan per day. There is nothing that warns me Norton is in the process of updating as I go to shut off.
I will run msconfig and get back to you. should I post any scans?
All norton products were already enabled in "services". but I followed you recommedations to test functionality of Norton. I did perform a Live Update and noticed that Norton Anti-virus Internet Worm Protection was not loading. marked by a red "x" in listed product updates. Norton says that this is due to a corrupt intrusion protection signature. I believe this is why they have asked me to re-install. It is also called "Error LU 1845".
Thanks for the "un-install link" I think I will have to proceed with that. wish me luck!!!
OK. Good Luck.
But mostly, just proceed carefully with the step-by-step automated instructions.
It's a "piece of cake" really.
I haven't ever had to use the "uninstall program" except one time with a Norton 2003 Suite that wouldn't uninstall via Add/Remove.
Otherwise, you can use Add/Remove if you proceed in the following order.
Norton Virus Scan
Norton/Symantec Suite
Norton Live Update
Norton Live Reg
If you try to uninstall in any other order, it leaves a bunch of "orphans" and refuses to uninstall some components.
After Add/Remove, you can go to C:\Program Files and delete the entire folders of:
Symantec
Norton (if any)
Common Files\Symantec (only the Symantec Folder and contents….. leave "Common Files Folder")
If you're really ambitious, you can delete the Folder references to Symantec in your Registry, but that isn't manditory and won't interfere with a fresh install.
I completed the reinstall without too much trouble and it cleared up the problem with Live Update, but… I continue to get ccApp.exe error messages. I email Norton so see if they have another solution. Hopefully they will not tell me to reinstall. It is extremely time consuming. I do not like the learn feature for the firewall as it seems to slow down everything too much.
Here is what norton says:
Situation:
When you restart or shut down your computer, you see the message "ccApp.exe is not responding . . ."
Sometimes, Windows closes the program, and you can restart or shut down the computer. At other times, you must click End Now in order to close ccApp.exe.
Solution:
Where you begin depends upon which version of Norton program you use.
Find your situation and follow the instructions:
Your computer uses a 2005 Norton program: Run LiveUpdate. Download all updates, including any Common Client updates and the Norton AntiSpam program update, if it is listed, Restart the computer when you are asked to do so. For details about how to run LiveUpdate, read How to run LiveUpdate.
If you no longer see this error message, you are done with this document.
If you still see this message, go to "Delete the Windows temporary files."
Your computer uses a 2006 Norton program: Begin with "Delete the Windows temporary files."
Delete the Windows temporary files
Follow the instructions in the document Deleting Windows temporary files for instructions about how to empty the Windows temporary files folder, and then shut down the computer again. If you continue to see the message, then go on to the next section.
Turn off Auto-Protect floppy drive scan on shutdown
Norton Auto-Protect is configured by default to scan floppy drives when the computer shuts down. This message can happen on computers that do not have floppy drives. If your computer does not have a floppy drive, follow these steps to turn off that option.
To turn off floppy drive scanning on shutdown
Start Norton AntiVirus.
If Norton AntiVirus is installed as a part of Norton SystemWorks or Norton Internet Security, then start that program.
Click Options.
If you see a menu, click Norton AntiVirus.
In the Norton AntiVirus Options dialog box, in the left pane, double-click Auto-Protect.
Click Advanced.
In the right pane, uncheck Scan floppy disk in A: for boot viruses when shutting down.
Click OK.
Shut down the computer.
If this does not fix the problem, go on to the next section.
End task on ccApp
When you see the message, wait a minute or two for Windows to close. If Windows does not close the application in that time, then click End Now and allow the shutdown process to continue.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI