TeMerc
Topic Starter
Well it seems the scum who craft malware for a living have out done themselves.
This rootkit, in some cases linked to LinkOptimizer, in many instances prevents the running of the following rootkit tools:
Blacklight
Rootkit Revealer
Ice Sword
Avenger
Gmer
Now this is not very consistent as it seems each DL found by researchers tends to change a little bit. Experts have been working on this thing since about August 12. 22 pages of forum analysis, commentary and attempted killing and so forth.
There is a complete write up by one of the research experts at Prevx. It can be read here.(PDF) I urge all with the slightest interest in malware and how they work to read this.
Some experts are recommending a reformat of a compromised system. Based on what I have seen and read, I tend to agree.
Just be sure to back up all your data before doing so. And of course be sure you're actually infected before panicking.
Most AV companies have not formulated any removal method, the instructions in the above PDF are the best so far and not 100% effective in every case.
I'll update as things progress.
This rootkit, in some cases linked to LinkOptimizer, in many instances prevents the running of the following rootkit tools:
Blacklight
Rootkit Revealer
Ice Sword
Avenger
Gmer
Now this is not very consistent as it seems each DL found by researchers tends to change a little bit. Experts have been working on this thing since about August 12. 22 pages of forum analysis, commentary and attempted killing and so forth.
There is a complete write up by one of the research experts at Prevx. It can be read here.(PDF) I urge all with the slightest interest in malware and how they work to read this.
Some experts are recommending a reformat of a compromised system. Based on what I have seen and read, I tend to agree.
Just be sure to back up all your data before doing so. And of course be sure you're actually infected before panicking.
Most AV companies have not formulated any removal method, the instructions in the above PDF are the best so far and not 100% effective in every case.
I'll update as things progress.