This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

I have Dialer.BNY.....Again.

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This is happening to me again and I unfortunately do not know how to get rid of it, nor keep it from continually happening. I thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
This is my Hijack log:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:00:19 PM, on 8/17/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\fws.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Command Software\dvpapi.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\QUICKENW\QAGENT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PhotoSmart\Photo Imaging\Hpi_Monitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Bell\Sympatico Security Advisor\SSA.exe
C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\Rps.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mrtMngr.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sympatico Dial-up Accelerator\slipaccel.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\NetAssistant\bin\mpbtn.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dellnet.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Sympatico
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Pop-Up Blocker BHO - {3C060EA2-E6A9-4E49-A530-D4657B8C449A} - C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\pkR.dll
O2 - BHO: Form Filler BHO - {56071E0D-C61B-11D3-B41C-00E02927A304} - C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\FBHR.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [diagent] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe" startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QAGENT] C:\Program Files\QUICKENW\QAGENT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CXMon] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PhotoSmart\Photo Imaging\Hpi_Monitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSA.exe] "C:\Program Files\Bell\Sympatico Security Advisor\SSA.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Security Manager] "C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\Rps.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Dial-up Accelerator.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sympatico Dial-up Accelerator\slipaccel.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: NetAssistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\NetAssistant\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O12 - Plugin for .mid: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
O16 - DPF: {00B71CFB-6864-4346-A978-C0A14556272C} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/msgrchkr.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {01CA75F1-054B-4A63-9221-C6926369EC52} (HS_live Control) - http://install.homestead.com/~site/Install…ive/HS_live.cab
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/wl/activex/eB…l_v1-0-3-30.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://spaces.msn.com//PhotoUpload/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {5AA5A569-F96F-4628-A528-8B3698F558BB} (HS_live Control) - http://install.homestead.com/~site/Install…ive/HS_live.cab
O16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - https://scan.safety.live.com/resource/downl…lscbase3401.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1124477896515
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/Messe…nt.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {9BFC2253-B9D9-477E-9488-CA450232620D} (BinAg1 Class) - https://activation.sympatico.ca/wizlet/Symp…nadaActiveX.cab
O16 - DPF: {C3DFA998-A486-11D4-AA25-00C04F72DAEB} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://sc.communities.msn.com/controls/PhotoUC/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {C81B5180-AFD1-41A3-97E1-99E8D254DB98} (CSS Web Installer Class) - http://threats.freedom.net/viruscenter/onl…cabs/cssweb.cab
O16 - DPF: {F73BE1F4-82AA-4405-AB81-FAFB5A122359} (SiteBuilderEditor Class) - http://stores.homestead.com/storeadmin/uti…es/pssbedit.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{068F6CB5-77BC-437A-9362-3C9BA98459FC}: NameServer = 206.47.244.51 206.47.244.107
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{068F6CB5-77BC-437A-9362-3C9BA98459FC}: NameServer = 206.47.244.51 206.47.244.107
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: DvpApi (dvpapi) - Command Software Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Command Software\dvpapi.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Security Manager Firewall (RP_FWS) - Radialpoint Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\fws.exe
GingerCal, :D Welcome, sorry for the delay. I am looking at a log with no malware on it. The only dialer I see is from your ISP. What are you experiencing to make you think you have a dialer??
Hi, The first time I had a dialer, I had a pretty big phone bill, and what we noticed was that we were receiving calls that sounded like calls from a fax (that high pitch squeal) and then busy signals. When these calls started, our phone bill went up and then shortly after, you fixed it for me. We received several of these calls last week and maybe another one or two since then, so I panicked and ran every scan I could do and find. Panda was the one that said I had Dialer.BNY. I also tried to see if I could find out about our phone bill but Ma Bell is not giving me the information I want…yet. I am glad to hear that I am malware free and could the dialer.bny just be my isp? Thank you so much. Bonnie
Hi Bonny,

Dialer .bny is a real problem and may very well be on your system even though its not showing up on your log. This is what I would like you to do. I want you to look for this file, you will have to have windows enabled to show all files and folders

C:\WINDOWS\pcconfig.dat



We need to make sure all hidden files are showing :
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
  • Uncheck the Hide file extensions for known types option.
  • Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

If its present, do this
Open Notepad ( Start> All Programs> Assessories> Notepad )and copy and paste the following text inside the Code box into Notepad

attrib -r -h -s C:\Windows\pcconfig.dat
del C:\Windows\pcconfig.dat


Save the file to the desktop as remove.bat and make sure the "Save as Type" field says "All Files".
Then please go to the desktop and double-click on remove.bat.



Then download and run this trial of Ewido



Download and install the 30 day trial of Ewido Anti-Spyware from HERE and save that file to your desktop.

* Once you have downloaded Ewido Anti-Spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
* Once the setup is complete you will need run Ewido and update the definition files.
* On the main screen select the icon Update then select the Update now link.
* Next select the Start Update button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
* Once the update has completed select the Scanner icon at the top of the screen, then select the Settings tab.
* Once in the Settings screen click on Recommended actions and then select Quarantine <– Dont forget this
* Under Reports
* Select Automatically generate report after every scan
* Un-Select Only if threats were found
* Close Ewido Anti-Spyware <– Do not run the scan yet.

Boot your computer into Safemode

* Go to Start> Shut Off your Computer> Restart
* As the computer starts to boot-up, Tap the F8 KEY somewhat rapidly,
this will bring up a menu.
* Use the Up and Down Arrow Keys to scroll up to SAFEMODE
* Then press the Enter on your Keyboard

IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while ewido is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess:

* Lauch Ewido-Anti-Spyware by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
* Select the Scanner icon at the top and then the Scan tab then click on Complete System Scan.
* Ewido will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.
* Once the scan is complete do the following:
* If you have any infections you will prompted, then select Apply all actions
* Next select the Reports icon at the top.
* Select the Save report as button in the lower left hand of the screen and save it to a text file on your system
*** make sure to remember where you saved that file, this is important
* Close Ewido



Reboot normally and lets run this system cleaner.


Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
  • This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main choose: Select All
  • Click the Empty Selected button.


Run HJT Scan and Save a Log File and post the new log along with the Ewido Report.
My Hijack scan and Ewido reports
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:02:17 AM, on 8/24/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\fws.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Command Software\dvpapi.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\QUICKENW\QAGENT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PhotoSmart\Photo Imaging\Hpi_Monitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Bell\Sympatico Security Advisor\SSA.exe
C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\Rps.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mrtMngr.EXE
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Sympatico Dial-up Accelerator\slipaccel.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe
C:\Program Files\NetAssistant\bin\mpbtn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dellnet.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Sympatico
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Pop-Up Blocker BHO - {3C060EA2-E6A9-4E49-A530-D4657B8C449A} - C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\pkR.dll
O2 - BHO: Form Filler BHO - {56071E0D-C61B-11D3-B41C-00E02927A304} - C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\FBHR.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [diagent] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe" startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QAGENT] C:\Program Files\QUICKENW\QAGENT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CXMon] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PhotoSmart\Photo Imaging\Hpi_Monitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSA.exe] "C:\Program Files\Bell\Sympatico Security Advisor\SSA.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Security Manager] "C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\Rps.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!ewido] "C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Dial-up Accelerator.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sympatico Dial-up Accelerator\slipaccel.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: NetAssistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\NetAssistant\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O12 - Plugin for .mid: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
O16 - DPF: {00B71CFB-6864-4346-A978-C0A14556272C} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/msgrchkr.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {01CA75F1-054B-4A63-9221-C6926369EC52} (HS_live Control) - http://install.homestead.com/~site/Install…ive/HS_live.cab
O16 - DPF: {193C772A-87BE-4B19-A7BB-445B226FE9A1} (ewidoOnlineScan Control) - http://download.ewido.net/ewidoOnlineScan.cab
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/wl/activex/eB…l_v1-0-3-30.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://spaces.msn.com//PhotoUpload/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {5AA5A569-F96F-4628-A528-8B3698F558BB} (HS_live Control) - http://install.homestead.com/~site/Install…ive/HS_live.cab
O16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - https://scan.safety.live.com/resource/downl…lscbase3401.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1124477896515
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/Messe…nt.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {9BFC2253-B9D9-477E-9488-CA450232620D} (BinAg1 Class) - https://activation.sympatico.ca/wizlet/Symp…nadaActiveX.cab
O16 - DPF: {C3DFA998-A486-11D4-AA25-00C04F72DAEB} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://sc.communities.msn.com/controls/PhotoUC/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {C81B5180-AFD1-41A3-97E1-99E8D254DB98} (CSS Web Installer Class) - http://threats.freedom.net/viruscenter/onl…cabs/cssweb.cab
O16 - DPF: {F73BE1F4-82AA-4405-AB81-FAFB5A122359} (SiteBuilderEditor Class) - http://stores.homestead.com/storeadmin/uti…es/pssbedit.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: DvpApi (dvpapi) - Command Software Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Command Software\dvpapi.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Security Manager Firewall (RP_FWS) - Radialpoint Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\fws.exe

———————————————————
ewido anti-spyware - Scan Report
———————————————————

+ Created at: 11:50:16 PM 8/23/2006

+ Scan result:



C:\Program Files\Common Files\PestPatrol\Quarantine\ZQ37D.tmp -> TrackingCookie.Advertising : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).


::Report end
Bonny, :D

If you still had that dialer, it would have shown up on your Ewido report. Was the file present on your system that I asked you to look for and remove??


Open HJT Scan Only, close your browser and all open windows, check these and click on Fix Checked

These two are just clutter
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR



R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost


These are optional, they can be run manually and removing them will save you system resources.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot



Let me know if you are still experiencing those problems with your phone that you had before, if it went away, I will have you install some free programs to block all that bad stuff from installing.

Ken

The rest of your log looks ok :thumbup:
Hi, I apologize as I kind of missed the part about looking for C:\WINDOWS\pcconfig.dat I changed the view of my hidden files and then forgot to look for the above. So, so sorry. So, I just did it now and I can't see anything, however, am I looking in the right place. I go to the Windows folder and I don't see anything but do I need to check all the subfolders, etc.? I also did a search and nothing came up. I will wait to do what you just said until I hear from you about this. Okay? Bonnie
I am sure its gone,

Just Right click on Start and then left click on Explore and navigate to the C:\windows folder, itr will all be alphabetical, go passed all the folders where just the files begin and look and see if this is present pcconfig.dat I kind of doubt if its there so this is just a double check.

Do you still feel you have the bny.dialer ??
I checked in explorer and I did not see pcconfig.dat, so I went ahead and fixed the items you told me about in HJ log, so that is all done. I did receive one of the calls this morning, however there was one difference. They always came in two's … meaning two in a row, one right after the other. There was just one this time. Bonnie
Lets be on the safeside and run this script.

Open Notepad ( Start> All Programs> Assessories> Notepad ) and copy and paste the following text inside the Quote box into Notepad

attrib -r -h -s C:\Windows\pcconfig.dat
del C:\Windows\pcconfig.dat


* Then click on File> Save As and name the file remove.bat
* Save it to your desktop
* Make sure the "Save as Type" field says "All Files".
* Then go to the desktop and double-click on remove.bat.
The file will look like a little gear



I am wondering if someone is mistakenly trying to send you a fax ?????



I am going to include a list of free programs to install to help keep you more secure and to help stop this garbage from installing in the first place.





System Restore makes regular backups of all your settings, if you ever had to use this program to restore your
system to a previous date, you will be infected all over again so we need to clean out the previous Restore Points

Turn off System Restore.

* Right-click My Computer.
* Click Properties.
* Click the System Restore tab.
* Check Turn off System Restore on all Drives.
* Click Apply, and then click OK.

Reboot your System

Turn ON System Restore.

* Right-click My Computer.
* ClickProperties.
* Click the System Restore tab.
* UN-Check Turn off System Restore on all Drives.
* Click Apply, and then click OK.

* Go to Start/ Control Panel/ Performance and Maintenance/ System Restore/ Create a New Restore Point
You can name the restore point anything you like, something that you can remember, You will have to be in Catagory View to see this
MAKE SURE YOU CREATE A NEW RESTORE POINT


* Go to C:\windows\prefetch and delete all thats in that folder, but not the prefetch folder itself, you should be in Safemode to remove it all.


* Open INTERNET EXPLORER
* Click on the TOOLS MENU
* Then INTERNET OPTIONS
* At the GENERAL TAB (which should be the first tab you are currently on),
* click on the DELETE FILES BUTTON and put a checkmark in DELETE ALL OFFLINE CONTENT.
* Then press the OK BUTTON . This may take quite a while, so do not be alarmed with how long it takes.
* When it is done, your Temporary Internet Files will now be deleted.


Now Empty your Recycle Bin




* Make sure that your ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE is up to date and run a full scan at least once aweek.

* Here are Free Anti-Virus Programs if you need one
AVG Free Edition
AntVir Personal Edition



* Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4
Check for Updates/ Immunize and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis.


* Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06
Check for Updates and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis.


* Spyware Blaster It will prevent most spyware from ever being installed.


* Spyware Guard It offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.


* Win Patrol This program will warn you when any changes are being made to your system and
give you the option to deny the change.


* IE- Spyad IE-Spyad places over 4000 web sites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents downloads and (cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.


* Firefox Browser
It has more features and is a lot more secure than IE. It is a very easy and painless download and install, it will no way interfere with IE, you can use them both. When it asks you if you want it to be your default browser, say NO and take the checkmark out of the box to ask you again. After you use this for awhile, you will want to make it your default.


* Thunderbird Mail There companion mail program was highly favored in PCWorld Magazine, this has a good spam filter and is more secure than Outlook Express.


* Zone Alarm Here is a free Firewall from Zone Labs, I wouldn't access the internet without it.


* WINDOWS UPDATES - Enable Automatic Updates
Right click on MY COMPUTER/Click on PROPERTIES/ AUTOMATIC UPDATES and put a mark in the radio button
DOWNLOAD UPDATES FOR ME BUT LET ME CHOOSE WHEN TO INSTALL THEM.

* Go to START/ CONTROL PANEL> PERFORMANCE AND MAINTENANCE> REARRANGE ITEMS ON YOUR HARD DISK TO MAKE PROGRAMS RUN FASTER
This is the Windows Disk Defragger, run this maybe once or twice a month to keep your system running good. The first time you run it, it may take awhile.



I'll keep this thread open for a week or so incase you need to post back.

Ken :D
Hi Again! Thank you so much for all your help!!! I don't know if this is anything or not but when I did the remove.bat, I checked my desktop to make sure it was there and I noticed that there was another one that looked the same (icon) however, it is called desktop.ini and when I click on it, it states the following: [LocalizedFileNames] Windows Media Player.lnk=@C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe,-4 Does this mean anything? Is it okay to delete but where in the helk did it come from? :o) Thank you for leaving this dialogue open and I promise I won't bother you unless absolutely necessary. I was asking about the above because it was never on my desktop before. Bonnie
Bonnie, Your not bothering me..this is what I do…it keeps me out of the bars :D I would just drag it to the Recycle Bin and leave it there for a week or so until your sure everything is working properly. Use the instructions I gave you for enableing files and folders and reverse it, desktop.ini should go away. You can drag remove bat to the recycle bin also. Ken
Hi Ken,
I did everything that you told me too and everything was going quite well…until a few minutes ago when the computer crashed! I already had a few of the spyware programs that you had suggested but I downloaded ZoneAlarm because of what you said and…I don't know if I like it. :unsure: The reason….because I don't know the lingo. I find it great when it tells me it is stopping something but when it asks me if so and so wants permission, I haven't got a clue who 99% of them are!
For example, it came up telling me that Windows Installer wanted permission so I said ok and as soon as I did, CRASH! eeeks!!!!
What did I do wrong? I did write down the technical info that they gave me for the crash so if it will help you, then I will send it. I think I might remove Zone Alarm as it said to remove any new sofware. Could this be the cause?
I do have Freedom (Radialpoint/Pest Control?) Anti Virus/Anti-Spyware/Firewall with Bell Canada
I just thought of something else…Microsoft did an update that I downloaded today!
Here is my HJ log and thank you so much Ken!!!
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:45:01 AM, on 8/29/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\fws.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Command Software\dvpapi.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\QUICKENW\QAGENT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PhotoSmart\Photo Imaging\Hpi_Monitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Bell\Sympatico Security Advisor\SSA.exe
C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\Rps.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mrtMngr.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Sympatico Dial-up Accelerator\slipaccel.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe
C:\Program Files\NetAssistant\bin\mpbtn.exe
C:\Program Files\Winsim\WINSIM.EXE
C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dellnet.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Sympatico
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5400
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Pop-Up Blocker BHO - {3C060EA2-E6A9-4E49-A530-D4657B8C449A} - C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\pkR.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Form Filler BHO - {56071E0D-C61B-11D3-B41C-00E02927A304} - C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\FBHR.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [diagent] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe" startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QAGENT] C:\Program Files\QUICKENW\QAGENT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CXMon] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PhotoSmart\Photo Imaging\Hpi_Monitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSA.exe] "C:\Program Files\Bell\Sympatico Security Advisor\SSA.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Security Manager] "C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\Rps.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Dial-up Accelerator.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sympatico Dial-up Accelerator\slipaccel.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: NetAssistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\NetAssistant\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Show All Original Images - res://C:\Program Files\Sympatico Dial-up Accelerator\slipaccel.exe/250
O8 - Extra context menu item: Show Original Image - res://C:\Program Files\Sympatico Dial-up Accelerator\slipaccel.exe/227
O12 - Plugin for .mid: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
O16 - DPF: {00B71CFB-6864-4346-A978-C0A14556272C} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/msgrchkr.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {01CA75F1-054B-4A63-9221-C6926369EC52} (HS_live Control) - http://install.homestead.com/~site/Install…ive/HS_live.cab
O16 - DPF: {193C772A-87BE-4B19-A7BB-445B226FE9A1} (ewidoOnlineScan Control) - http://download.ewido.net/ewidoOnlineScan.cab
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/wl/activex/eB…l_v1-0-3-30.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://spaces.msn.com//PhotoUpload/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {5AA5A569-F96F-4628-A528-8B3698F558BB} (HS_live Control) - http://install.homestead.com/~site/Install…ive/HS_live.cab
O16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - https://scan.safety.live.com/resource/downl…lscbase3401.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1124477896515
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/Messe…nt.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {9BFC2253-B9D9-477E-9488-CA450232620D} (BinAg1 Class) - https://activation.sympatico.ca/wizlet/Symp…nadaActiveX.cab
O16 - DPF: {C3DFA998-A486-11D4-AA25-00C04F72DAEB} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://sc.communities.msn.com/controls/PhotoUC/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {C81B5180-AFD1-41A3-97E1-99E8D254DB98} (CSS Web Installer Class) - http://threats.freedom.net/viruscenter/onl…cabs/cssweb.cab
O16 - DPF: {F73BE1F4-82AA-4405-AB81-FAFB5A122359} (SiteBuilderEditor Class) - http://stores.homestead.com/storeadmin/uti…es/pssbedit.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{068F6CB5-77BC-437A-9362-3C9BA98459FC}: NameServer = 206.47.244.59 206.47.244.105
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{068F6CB5-77BC-437A-9362-3C9BA98459FC}: NameServer = 206.47.244.59 206.47.244.105
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{068F6CB5-77BC-437A-9362-3C9BA98459FC}: NameServer = 206.47.244.51 206.47.244.107
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: DvpApi (dvpapi) - Command Software Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Command Software\dvpapi.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Security Manager Firewall (RP_FWS) - Radialpoint Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\fws.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
GingerCal :D

You can go ahead and remove ZoneAlarm via the Add-Remove programs in the Control Panel, you dont need 2 firewalls. I was unaware that Bell had a firewall included in there package. You should also disable the windows firewall if its enabled if your using Bells.

Go to Start> Control Panel> Windows Firewall and turn it off.

If you are still having problems after this let me know and I can direct you to some excellent windows tech support sites that deal with this sort of issue.

Ken….who got back last month from Ontario ( Cobden area ) for a family reunion.
Hi Ken, I deleted Zone Alarm yesterday and so far, so good! Also, just to let you know, that I have not received any more phone calls so that is the best news of all! Everything seems to be running okay and again, I thank you so, so much. Bonnie …Cobden is a beautiful area. We have relatives in Ottawa so we pass through it quite often. I love eating at Noah's Ark…the food is delicious! :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI