This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Please help my computer is acting strange

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer is sluggish quite often my programs will not open requiring a restart. Sometimes restarting helps sometimes not then. Sometimes when I open a program and it does not start I try again and I get the same program open 2 or 3 times. Outlook will not open at all most of the time. I have looked at my HJT log and can not see anything that looks like it shouldn't be there. Please help I go to school online and if my computer dies I'm screwed. Here is a copy of my HJT log.Thanks in advance for your help. You guys and gals are the best!



Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:47:38 AM, on 8/16/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HIJACKTHIS\hijackthis\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O16 - DPF: {13EC55CF-D993-475B-9ACA-F4A384957956} (Controller Class) - https://www.windowsonecare.com/install/cli/…nSSWebAgent.CAB
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {A82C3A33-5C0E-466C-B020-71585433A7E4} (PhxStudent.OeSetup15) - https://ecampus.wintu.edu/secure/PhxStudent15.CAB
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Client (Norton AntiVirus Server) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe

:scratch:
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sorry about the delay in responding :(

If you still need help, Scan again with HijackThis, and copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.

Please use the [external image: Posted Image] Button below to reply. Thanks
Thanks for replying. To have a forum god such as yourself reply makes me feel privileged indeed. My computer is still experiencing this intermittant problem opening programs. Earlier today Outlook would not open and when I tried to access the taskmanager to see what was running the taskmanager wouldn't open either. Just when I was about ready to reboot 3 applications of Outlook opened and 2 taskmanagers. As I said this problem is intermittant and my computer just starts acting this way whenever it feels like it. Somedays it acts normal. Here is my HJT log. Thanks for your help.



Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:50:43 PM, on 8/25/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\HIJACKTHIS\hijackthis\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {A82C3A33-5C0E-466C-B020-71585433A7E4} (PhxStudent.OeSetup15) - https://ecampus.wintu.edu/secure/PhxStudent15.CAB
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{019D1AD9-7C99-4610-929D-AED9AA141508}: NameServer = 205.171.3.65 205.171.2.65
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{019D1AD9-7C99-4610-929D-AED9AA141508}: NameServer = 205.171.3.65 205.171.2.65
O17 - HKLM\System\CS3\Services\Tcpip\..\{019D1AD9-7C99-4610-929D-AED9AA141508}: NameServer = 205.171.3.65 205.171.2.65
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Client (Norton AntiVirus Server) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
Only thing weird i see in your log is IE running from this location. C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\iexplore.exe Do you have this folder: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer ? That's where iexplore.exe should be.
I do have the folder C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer ? Can I just drag and drop iexplore.exe to that location or do I need to move it another way? Thanks so much for your help

I do have the folder C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer ?
Can I just drag and drop iexplore.exe to that location or do I need to move it another way? Thanks so much for your help

I would Copy/Paste it to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\.

It should also be here where it's at, just shouldn't be running from there. It almost looks like it never installed.
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\iexplore.exe

I'm doing some more checking on this.
I'll go and copy/paste it now. I have had trouble in the recent past where IE wouldn't open either and I had to start it from "run". Maybe this is why that occured. Thanks so much for your help.

I'll go and copy/paste it now. I have had trouble in the recent past where IE wouldn't open either and I had to start it from "run". Maybe this is why that occured. Thanks so much for your help.

Let me know, we're not finished yet
I tried to copy and paste but got a prompt stating that there was already a file in that folder with that name so I did not replace the one already there. I did not see this file there is it one of the hidden files?

I tried to copy and paste but got a prompt stating that there was already a file in that folder with that name so I did not replace the one already there. I did not see this file there is it one of the hidden files?

Not sure if that's a hidden file or not. Lets do this:


Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Clear "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Clear "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Now see if you can see one in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\
Open C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe <–Rename to iexplore.old

Copy/Paste C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\iexplore.exe to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\

Reboot and post a new HijackThis log
Ok I renamed iexplore.exe to iexplor.old and when I went to copy/paste from i386 file iexplore.exe had already reappeared in to the folder by itself. Could this have happened because I did not close the connection first? any there are 2 in there the renamed one .pld and a new one .exe

Here's my new HJT log after reboot

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:33:34 PM, on 8/25/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HIJACKTHIS\hijackthis\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {A82C3A33-5C0E-466C-B020-71585433A7E4} (PhxStudent.OeSetup15) - https://ecampus.wintu.edu/secure/PhxStudent15.CAB
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Client (Norton AntiVirus Server) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe

I went to copy/paste from i386 file iexplore.exe had already reappeared in to the folder by itself.

Yes, that's ok.

It's really weird it doesn't show running in your HJT log.

Is Outlook working now?
sorry it took so long to get back to you. Outlook quit receiving and I can't access my mecgate mail from the web either. I just refreshed this page and saw that you had responded.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI