This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

An Annoying Blank Window!

38 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

A task that should be a simple affair is turning out to be more difficult than imagined.
I am unable to save the Reg files anywhere!
As mentioned, double clicking the file from within the Win RAR opens it in another
window showing me the Reg. entries.
I find there is no way to save these and then use the File>Import from Regedit.
Here's a thumbnail of the screenshot:

[external image: Posted Image]

Regards

Jay
Hi Jay, Instead of using the View function, use the Extract to function. Create a temporary file in C:\ Something like: C:\TempRegfix SCR\ When you use the unpacking function (Extract to) it will allow you to navigate to your preferred location to save the file(s).. Navigate to your new C:\TempRegfix SCR and select OK. Do the same for the .com regfix by creating at temporary file like C:\TempRegfix COM\ Once you've got the files into their own folders, use Micah's prior instructions to Double click on the .REG file and give permission to merge. Best Regards
Hi Dough!

I should have mentioned that I did try to extract the files to my desktop and then try to open it.
When I did that, I got a message asking how I would like to open the file and chose the
application Win RAR. I then get an error message which is reproduced below:

[external image: Posted Image]

No idea what to do next :(

Best regards

Jay
I've checked Win RAR and it works fine with other Zipped files. I also downloaded another similar program called 7 zip and still couldn't open the files. I just downloaded Win zip from the URL you kindly provided and still have the same problem. That is, after downloading the scr and com reg files, I extracted them to my desk top. On double clicking, I get the error message I showed you in my last post. Which leads me to believe, that there could be something wrong with the files itself that I downloaded from www.dougknox.com In fact I deleted the files, did a fresh download to no avail. If it's not asking too much, could you please download them and see if it works for you? Appreciate your help, Dough! Thanks Jay
Thanks Micah, it worked this time! :) I extracted the files on to my desktop using WinRAR and then used Regedit to import it to the Registry. I immediately got a window that said the import was successful! Repeated the process for the other file. PC was rebooted three times in a row. The blank window appeared on the first and last instance! :( Regards Jay
Copy the text in the quote box into Notepad:

type c:\boot.ini > btest.txt


Save it to the desktop as testme.bat

testme.bat on the desktop.

It will create a file on the desktop named btest.txt

Open it with Notepad, and paste the contents into your next post.
:)
Do I include the word "type" in the sentence in your quote? Thanks, Micah! Jay PS - Never mind, Micah. I included the word "type" and here is the log: [boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
Not seeing what I thought there.

dough,

I was surfing a while back and came across some command you could put in one of the windows "boot" files that would make it show the drivers as they're being loaded. Used mainly to find a bad driver causing a mis-boot.

Unfortunately, I didn't write it down.
:angry:

Have you heard of such a command?
:unsure:

I thought it might tell us where the window is coming from….
:scratch:
I guess that was it…

Do you think it would provide any valuable information?

If so, just where do you put it in the boot.ini file?
:unsure:
No. Actually I don't, because I'm not suspecting a driver.
Jay's computer runs fine after Windows is loaded and he gets past this "annoying blank screen". So if there was a bad driver, wouldn't it still be causing difficulties with the Operating System and applications?

I'm still suspecting a "file association" of the type that you've already repaired 2 out of 3 for Jay with your recommended "Regfixes"

Then click COM File Association Fix ( downloads a ZIP file that contains xp_com_fix.reg )
Then click SCR File Association Fix ( downloads a ZIP file that contains xp_scr_fix.reg )


We still have the executable .pif to reintall or repair. I think in this situation, .pif file commands may be those associated with MS DOS commands prior to loading of Windows. I don't "know" that, but that's what I'm thinking.

What do you think about having Jay go take a look at the Dword Value data for these entries, as per my earlier PM to you.

Mind you, I'm just suggesting he go take a look. Not make any changes. But if the Dword Value data is 0 or "no value data entered" then we will probably continue to be dead in the water.
Alternatively, we could get the same information if you recommended to him to use HJT misc tools to generate another StartUp log.

I'm gonna make a guess that in the two instances that you've "fixed",
that the Dword Value data will appear as %1% for .com and %1% /S for .scr

And I'm gonna make a guess that in the one instance that we haven't been able to find a .reg fix for, that the Dword Value data will be blank or "no value data entered"

I'd also like to consider "replacing" the regedit.exe in C:\Windows and the other appropriate locations with original values from the C:\Windows\i386 folder.

Jay, Please understand that this is just a conversation and that I am not ready to make such a recommendation to you as yet.

Two or three heads are indeed better than one, as you previously mentioned. Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI