Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

MSN Messenger hangs

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Unox

Unox

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:53 AM

Hi, my msn messenger hangs up when I log on, I've already tried to reinstall it. It works on my other computer so I have no clue

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:14 PM

There's a ton of problems cropping up almost weekly for any flavor of "Messenger"
Give this a read. It appears at the Website for Brian Livingstons Window's Secrets Newletter
A complete index at the bottom of the Web page provides you with hyperlinks to any article you wish to recommend.

The address of this issue: http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/060727

Consider Trillian.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Unox

Unox

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:46 AM

I'm sorry but I coulden't find any information about it

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:53 AM

Unox,

Sorry the previous link was not useful to you.

This one gets down to the "nuts and bolts" of the problems that many folks are having with MSN Messenger.
http://www.asksomeon...ssengerfaq.html

I can't speculate "which" of the various problems you are having, but I will respond further if you are able to identify specifics of your operating system, router or no router and router firmware upgrade (especially the universal plug n play issue, which software firewall, which version of MSN Messenger.

Please read/review the recommendations in the above linked article and reply with your progress.

Best Regards

Edited by dough, 28 July 2006 - 04:54 AM.

#5 Unox

Unox

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:34 PM

hi again, I tried to do what was on the page but there no change. Windows XP PRO Norwegian SP2 1GB Ram Pentium 4 2,8GHz Router: Sparklan Wirless SOHO router WX-6215G Firmware Version: V1.95 Norton Internet Security's firewall Windows Live Messenger V8.0 (build 8.0.0792.00)

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:19 PM

I was unable to find a model WX-6215G at the Sparklan website

I was, however, able to identify a model WX-6615G

Is it possible that this is your unit.
Is it possible that your unit is "older" and has been dropped from Support at Sparklan?

http://www.sparklan....s.php?prod_id=8

Next:
Do you have Microsoft© Internet Explorer version 6 SP1 or later installed on the problem machine?
version 6 SP1 is minimum required the latest version of MSN Messenger

MSN Version 9 is the current "latest version". Often, problems get resolved by installing the latest version.
You can get it here:
http://join.msn.com/...nger/overview98

Next:

Do you get a specific Error message when having this difficulty?

Here is the MSN Messenger Help querie website.
http://support.msn-i...amp;ct=eformts#

You may benefit from working through their problem-solving tree.

This site also provides specific problem solving recommendations "if" you have an Error Code to look up.
http://www.imzers.com/

Please keep us updated with your progress. Other's may learn as you solve this problem. :)

Best Regards

#7 Unox

Unox

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 03:29 PM

Hi, I coulden't find anything about my issue, and I diden't bother contacting support because I'm already getting help here, by the way the router had the name I gave you but is gone, this router stopped working yesterday so I bought anotherone: Linksys Wireless-N Broadband Router WRT300N I have the latest messenger, Intenet explorer 7 beta 3.

Edited by Unox, 01 August 2006 - 03:35 PM.

#8 Unox

Unox

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:42 AM

Here's a link to the router, so that you don't have to do more than neccesary

#9 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:10 PM

Hi Unox, I'm posting to "bump" your thread up in hopes of getting some attention from more expert Members. I'll keep studying but don't have anything for your right now. Doug

#10 Unox

Unox

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:26 AM

ok, bump

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Unox

Unox

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:57 AM

Hi Dough, I have just reinstalled my computer, and just wanted to say that my MSN now works, so you can close this topic. Thanks for all the help I have been given :thumbup:

#12 bizarrebob

bizarrebob

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Computers. Video games.

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:04 PM

glad it's fixed, i was just about to try help.

::: My Spec :::

Windows 7
Intel Core Duo @ 2.8ghz
4gb OCZ RAM @ 1066mhz
ATI 4870 512mb

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online

#13 Unox

Unox

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:38 AM

:rant2: The problems are back.
I think it's the same problem for my services... problem
It must be a program/thing/what ever I always install.
Plz help me locate it.

#14 Unox

Unox

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:42 AM

I think I missunderstood your pm Dough, I thought I was supposed to post it at my next reply since the techexpress links goes away after a while :oops:
Here it is then: http://www.pcpitstop...QWCFWFYJSWSMKSJ
The R: is my RAM drive, as you already know.
And I'm defragmenting my drives now :)

#15 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

Hi Unox,

Sorry to hear that these difficulties have reappeared.

Your machine seems to be running well by measures of the PCPitstop Full Test, with just a few suggestions to possibly allow smoother and safer running.
I recommend the "Offline Installation" option.
Uninstall your current J2SE.
Download the newest 6.0 build of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6
Disconnect from the internet, close other windows and run the installation, following their instructions.
Get the Download here:
http://java.sun.com/...loads/index.jsp
If using Acronis as a manual backup, you can take an iso image directly after your first clean installation, and then periodically (weekly or monthly) to take additional iso images, for instance after you install new software applications. Be sure to run your AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, and DiskCleaner tools and Defrag, prior to taking an Acronis iso image to insure that your saved image is the best possible, (in case you ever have to use it to restore your system.) It is a good idea to Save iso images on a separate drive (away from your machine) for instance on an External Hard Drive.
Since you have 1024mb of Physically installed RAM, you might benefit from a min/max Virtual Memory size of 3072mb. Please remember that it is also "essential" to have at least a small portion of Drive C:\ set aside for Virtual Memory use. I'd recommend that you reserve at least 200mb of C:\ for Virtual Memory, in addition to your Drive R:\ which could be increased to 3072mb (1024 X 3).
Yes, I realize that your Drive R:\ has a maximum size of 2000mb, but you may want to consider this recommendation for future reference if you reinstall or repartition your hard drive.
As in my earlier recommendations (from prior threads) you may benefit from "disabling" several applications and routines that appear to be active at StartUp.

Sun Java Updater Sun Microsystems, Inc. C:\Programfiler\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe <-- In JAVA Control Panel configure to disable auto-updating

Office XP speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe <----------- this routine facilitates various "Accessibility" options for Auditory/Speech impairment and some foreign language translation functions for MS Office applications. You probably do not use any of those features and can safely turn them off. (ctfmon.exe is a resource hog and has been known to cause a variety of conflicts)
To turn ctfmon.exe off ---
Control Panel - Regional and Language Options - Languages - Details - Advanced -
and checkmark/tick the box that says "Turn off advanced text services"
(if you later find that you do actually use some Auditory/Speech features, you can "turn ctfmon.exe back on by reversing the above procedure)

Do you have the Full paid version of Diskkeeper and do you have it Running in the background?
Diskeeper Executive Software International, Inc. M:\Executive Software\DiskeeperLite\DKService.exe
Many/most Diskkeeper users find that this causes no problem at all, and consumes very little resources.
Others find "some" performance benefit from turning off the automated features of Diskkeeper. Your choice.
If you only have Diskkeeper "Lite", then you'll probably benefit from disabling it in MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab)

Do you have the full paid version of avgas.exe AVG Anti-Malware Development a.s. ??
M:\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe and M:\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
If so, AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 is an excellent tool, but may be consuming more resources than you can afford.
Consider using the AVG Anti-Spyware Control Panel - Status - to "disable" Resident Shield. (you can run scans manually on a regular periodic basis, or turn Resident Shield back on if you so desire)

You might just have had a window of WordPad open when running your Pit Test?
Wordpad Microsoft Corporation C:\Programfiler\Windows NT\Tilbehør\wordpad.exe
WordPad does not need to be active at StartUp, and you will conserve resources by running it manually from its Icon as needed.
"Disable" it from your MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab)

I am presuming that you have Uninstalled the prior "beta" version of Internet Explorer 7.0?
And that you now have downloaded and installed the full release version of Internet Explorer 7.0?
If not, it's time to get rid of the "beta" version.

What Logitech peripherals do you use?
Logitech Inc. C:\Programfiler\Fellesfiler\Logitech\khalshared\KHALMNPR.EXE
Logitech Inc. M:\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
I've found that in almost all instances, Logitech peripherals function just fine without "any" of the specific Logitech software.
Some users continue to prefer to have their Keyboard hotkeys available for Internet, Audio, Media, etc.
It's your choice, but please consider disabling all things Logitech and try running for a few days without them.
If you receive a performance or conflict free benefit, then leave them off.
If you would rather have these features, you can turn them back on.

Consider using Acronis Manually.
Use Acronis's own features to disable "incremental" and "scheduled" backups.
Acronis Scheduler Acronis C:\Programfiler\Fellesfiler\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe
Acronis Scheduler Acronis C:\Programfiler\Fellesfiler\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
Acronis TrueImage Acronis M:\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImageMonitor.exe

You would have to have a "specific" reason to have this OmniPage ScanSoft feature running from StartUp.
Consider disabling it from StartUp. (the features you use are also available manually from inside of your Word applications)
OmniPage ScanSoft, Inc. M:\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE2.0\OpwareSE2.exe

Do you actually use DaemonTools?
DT Soft Ltd. D:\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe
(used for purposes of "pointer-stick" on IBM thinkpad Laptop)
If not, consider uninstalling it or disable it from StartUp

Once configured, few users ever make changes using the following, and they can be safely disabled from StartUp:
Please consider "disabling" the following items via MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab)
ATI Hotkey Utility ATI Technologies Inc. C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
SoundMax controls Analog Devices, Inc. C:\Programfiler\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
ATI Tray Tools Ray Adams C:\Programfiler\Radeon Omega Drivers\v3.8.273 ... \atitray.exe

Some of us are still quite skeptical of SONY (since their sureptitious inclusion of rootkit in their copywrite protection features) Yes, they have supposedly cleaned up their act, but there may still be unresolved problems. So I bring this to your attention, particularly because you have:
Sony Ericsson Mobile Networking Wizard Sony Ericsson Jan 05, 2007
Sony Ericsson File Manager Sony Ericsson Jan 05, 2007
Sony Ericsson Sync Station Sony Ericsson Jan 05, 2007

Do you use these Sony features?
I'll need some additional "expert" help to advise on Sony, but wanted to bring it to your attention at this time.
Hopefully it is "no problem" and I'm just being "paranoid."

Of course you already know that using Peer-to-Peer applications can be a vector for acquiring a wide variety of Malware. If you continue using Peer-to-Peer utilities, be sure to observe copywrite rules, and scan for Malware regularly.

In the above recommendations, I have not "specifically" addressed your "posted problem".
These are "general" recommendations that are appropriate to good practice and safe/smooth computer operations. One or some of the recommendations may even improve your machine's functioning. I hope so.

In the meantime, will you please post a new/fresh PCPitstop Full Test (after completing the ones of the above recommendations that you decide to follow.)

Also give us an update on how your machine is running and a specific description of any "problem" that continues to be present.

Please run a couple of Online Malware scans.
http://www.pandasoft.../ActiveScan.htm
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Allow both Panda and Housecall to perform any detected repair/removal.
Please post any detection of Malware, back into this thread for additional attention/referral to Malware Removal.
Hopeful these online scans will be clean, in which case you don't need to post the logs.
Just tell us that you ran them successfully and that they were clean.

Since your primarly difficulty apparently occurs at boot time, when logging into your machine, our next steps will be to examine your Boot.ini scripting.

However, I ask you to complete the above recommendations, prior to our possible further investigation of Boot.ini.

Keep us updated with your progress.

Best Regards,
Doug

Edited by dough, 29 January 2007 - 02:30 PM.