This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

First time user

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am not sure of the netiquette here so I will first say thank you to anyone who assists me in advance and I will assist others once I have the proper training. I hope I have followed directions. Thanks again!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:05:39 AM, on 07/13/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
I:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
I:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
I:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\brss01a.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
I:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
I:\WINDOWS\system32\Brmfrmps.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\CDAC11BA.EXE
I:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
I:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
I:\Program Files\Photodex\ProShowGold\ScsiAccess.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\tcpsvcs.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
I:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
I:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
I:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe
I:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe
I:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust Personal Firewall\ca.exe
I:\Program Files\Creative\SB Live! 24-bit\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
I:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe
J:\Textbridge\Bin\InstantAccess.exe
I:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy Media Creator 7\Drag to Disc\DrgToDsc.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
I:\Program Files\dvd43\dvd43_tray.exe
I:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
I:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
I:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
I:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe
I:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
I:\WINDOWS\SM1BG.EXE
I:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
I:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
I:\PROGRA~1\SIMPLE~1\PHOTOS~1\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
I:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
I:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
I:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
I:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\acrobat_sl.exe
I:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
I:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ONENOTEM.EXE
I:\Program Files\Microtek\ScanWizard 5\ScannerFinder.exe
J:\Downloads\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.buzzflash.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - I:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: bho2gr Class - {31FF080D-12A3-439A-A2EF-4BA95A3148E8} - I:\Program Files\GetRight\xx2gr.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - I:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - I:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - i:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - I:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - I:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - i:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "I:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "I:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] I:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust Personal Firewall\ca.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] I:\Program Files\Creative\SB Live! 24-bit\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] I:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTRegRun] I:\WINDOWS\CTRegRun.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 7.0] "I:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InstantAccess] J:\Textbridge\Bin\InstantAccess.exe /h
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "I:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy Media Creator 7\Drag to Disc\DrgToDsc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] I:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] I:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetDefPrt] I:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfl04a\BrStDvPt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dvd43] I:\Program Files\dvd43\dvd43_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "I:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] I:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "I:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [type32] "I:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "I:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] I:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SM1BG] I:\WINDOWS\SM1BG.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "I:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] I:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager] I:\PROGRA~1\SIMPLE~1\PHOTOS~1\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] I:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "I:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = I:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = I:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 Quick Launch.lnk = I:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microtek Scanner Finder.lnk = I:\Program Files\Microtek\ScanWizard 5\ScannerFinder.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://i:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://i:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://i:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://i:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://I:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://I:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://I:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://I:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://I:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://I:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://I:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to existing PDF - res://I:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with GetRight - I:\Program Files\GetRight\GRdownload.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://I:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open with GetRight Browser - I:\Program Files\GetRight\GRbrowse.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://i:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://i:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - I:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - I:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - I:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - I:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - I:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15015/CTSUEng.cab
O16 - DPF: {0D6709DD-4ED8-40CA-B459-2757AEEF7BEE} (Dldrv2 Control) - http://download.gigabyte.com.tw/object/Dldrv.ocx
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {2359626E-7524-4F87-B04E-22CD38A0C88C} (ICSScannerLight Class) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/cm/ICSCM_ca.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1150290790906
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E5A37BF-FD42-463A-877C-4EB7002E68AE} (Housecall ActiveX 6.5) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecal…ivex/hcImpl.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMesse…pDownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15016/CTPID.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "I:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - I:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - I:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - I:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - I:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - I:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Brother Popup Suspend service for Resource manager (brmfrmps) - Unknown owner - I:\WINDOWS\system32\Brmfrmps.exe" -service (file missing)
O23 - Service: BrSplService (Brother XP spl Service) - brother Industries Ltd - I:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe
O23 - Service: C-DillaCdaC11BA - C-Dilla Ltd - I:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\CDAC11BA.EXE
O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - I:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - I:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - I:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - I:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - I:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe" -d -f "%ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.ini (file missing)
O23 - Service: ScsiAccess - Unknown owner - I:\Program Files\Photodex\ProShowGold\ScsiAccess.exe
O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - I:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - I:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - I:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: VNC Server Version 4 (WinVNC4) - Unknown owner - I:\Program Files\RealVNC\VNC4\WinVNC4.exe" -service (file missing)
Hi jeffko:

You do not mention any problems, are there any ?

Are you using both etrust and Zone Alarm firewalls ? If so, one should be disabled, or Uninstalled. It also looks like you are using etrust Anti-Virus, so possibly Zone Alarm should be disabled, or Uninstalled.
Conflicts can arise when two full time firewalls are used together.

Your Hijack This log looks to be clean.

If there are no problems and if you have had no problems with Viruses, Trojans, Malware, etc. I suggest the following.

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.

    Download the new Ad-Aware SE version, and follow the instructions on how to do a full scan: http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=11150
    -reboot after using Ad-Aware SE. Also while there get the VX2 plugin and follow the instructions to run it also.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
To protect yourself further:
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
I also suggest that you delete any files from "temp", "tmp" folders. In Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" => "Internet Options" => "Delete Files" and select the box that says "Delete All Offline Content" and click on "OK" twice. Also, empty the recycle bin by right clicking on it and selecting "Empty Recycle Bin". These steps should be done on a regular basis.

And also see TonyKlein's good advice
http://castlecops.com/postlite7736-.html
So how did I get infected in the first place?

Safe surfing. :wavey:
Thank you for your help. This email reply from you got filtered into the bulkmail on my mail account. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have the paid yahoo account and I use the disposable addresses extensively and the filter that was set for this site didn't work. Tankfully the color coding did in the bulk file. The only problem I have is my top toolbars on occasion get redistributed when Spybot catches something and I will get a series of 6 or so tea timer ITBarLayout denials and they subside after a minute or two. Evrything works fine, but my top toolbars are re-arranged. I will try all of the suggestions you have laid out. Zone Alarm is the "parent" source of our e-trust subscrpition firewall antivirus program and it shows up in certain areas as Zone Alarm. I have never DL'ed Zone Alarm and it doesn't show in my program list. Blessings and Grace to you and your family. You reap what you sow and you are distributing good fruit. Thanks for donating a space in your life for my families benefit. I will endeavor to do the same for someone else. Jeffko
Hi jeffko: Possibly there is a glitch with your download of Spybot/Teatimer. You might try Uninstalling/Deleting both, then downloading Spybot S&D fresh, to see if that resolves the problem. Hope this helps. :D
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI