This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Zlob.downloader and others.

21 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Haven't found my disc yet…might be tomorrow before I can get into storage unit.

Having some more "weird" issues in the meantime.

1) Outlook still takes long time to open…but does open.
2) Once open, takes long time to open messages, but I can create, edit, move, send and save normally.
3) Opened Word and created a document. This has created a temp file (~WRL3050) on my desktop that I can't remove. This is NOT the name of the file I created and saved, but when I click on it, it does open that file
4) A new "[20]" appears in my HJT log (see below).
5) When using IE to navigate web, can't follow hyperlinks (If I mouse overthem, I can see the URL, but when I click, it makes the "clicking" sound, but then gives me "done with errors on page" in lower left..but no new page.

Are any of these signs of continued infection? Or just artifacts of a glitched Windows install that needs repair/reformat?

HJT Log
———
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:46:27 PM, on 7/11/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
D:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe
C:\Program Files\Navnt\navapw32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\navapsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\npssvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\alertsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\AnalyzeMe.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NPS Event Checker] C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\npscheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV DefAlert] C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\defalert.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDVDPatch] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] C:\Program Files\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Omnipage] D:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!ewido] "C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe" /minimized
O4 - Global Startup: ATI CATALYST System Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Norton AntiVirus AutoProtect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Navnt\navapw32.exe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - WRLogonNTF.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: NAV Alert - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\alertsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NAV Auto-Protect - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Program Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Navnt\npssvc.exe
Both are OK
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - WRLogonNTF.dll (file missing)


Look for a file named Normal.dot in Word.
Delete the file. It re-creates itself when word is opened.
Nope. Still having the "slow Outlook" and "Can't click on hyperlinks" problems. Otherwise, seems spyware free–nothing "reinstalling" itself yet.
Getting close. Outlook seems to be working 100% now. combination of the previous link (made it load faster, but it hung up and crashed). When I submitted the report to MS (I know…that never works :lol: ) it lead me to an MSOffice update (SP3 etc.) which seems to have solved the problem. Have been meaning to switch to thunderbird anyways…may give it a try. I can now click on and follow some links (for example, any of the myriad of links on a wikipedia page) but can't follow the links in this forum.
No luck. Ran it (and rebooted to be safe). When I mouse over the link in your last post, I can see the URL in the lower left hand corner of IE, but when I click on it…nothing happens. I have to "right click" "copy shortcut" and paste it in the address bar up top to follow the link.
From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders. Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option. Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked. In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder. Click the Search button. In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder. Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu. Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete. Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP
Still waiting to find my install disc. Will try that then. OK to close this for now, I'll ask to reopen if nothing works or things get worse. I can use FireFox and Thunderbird for now. Thanks.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI