This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Speakers don't work properly

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My sound was working perfectly ever since last week. All of a sudden I noticed that my speakers were only playing sounds for very few websites and not playing sound at all for most others. I can't even here the sound of the startup and shutdown sounds for Microsoft. I decided to redownload the C-Media driver for my speakers and that did not work. It is still in the same condition it was in starting from a week ago. Can you please help me with this problem. I don't know what to do.
More information would be useful here. Have you re-installed your XP recently…. Not saying you should, just asking if you did. Download and re-install the Chipset Drivers from your Computer Manufacturer or MotherBoard manufacturer website. Could this be a Codec problem? Codecs are compression formats for various sound and image media. What media player are you using? You media player needs the proper Codec to play specific audio formats. Are you getting any error messages…… "download codecs" "cannot find correct Codec" "etc." Any chance that your Volume Control is "muted"? What changes to your machine and software have you made recently? Give us a little more and maybe we can help. Best Regards
I've already downloaded and reinstalled the chipset drivers from my computer manufacturer website. When I try to play the music, it doesn't say that it is a codec problem. If it is a codec problem, where can i get the right codecs? I am using Windows Media Player. I am not getting any codec error messages. My volume is not muted. It's at the highest. The only changes I've made to my computer so far is using System Mechanic to get rid of unnessecary files. I have since deleted System Mechanic.
In Device Manager, is the following line present?….
Sound, video and game controllers
If not re-install your sound card.

Any yellow or red warning signs in Device manager?
if so, remove and re-install the Driver.

In control Panel - MultiMeida be sure that "Show Volume Control on the TaskBar" is checkmarked

For additional steps, Take a look at this trouble-shooting/resource website:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000208.htm

Best Regards
In device manager the line Sound, video and game controllers is available. There are no yellow or red warning signs in device manager. The Show Volume Control on the TaskBar is checkmarked.
I apologize is I sound overly simple or am questioning what you take as obvious.
Just covering the first-line basics.
So, When you click on the Volume Control icon in your TaskBar tray, and the Volume Control Panel comes up, are their any columns that are muted or have the volume slide bar significantly reduced?

If I understand you correctly, there are "some" websites that you are able to play sound for, and some you cannot. Additionally, you have indicated that the basic sound properties for the Windows system are also failing to play, for examply the music/tones when you start Windows and when you exit Windows.

Am I understanding your situation correctly?

Best Regards

In the event that your problem relates to Compressing/Decompressing audio file formats that you are trying to play, or audio tracks associatiate with other media, then you do need a comprehensive Codec selection. Here is one that is widely recommended, and the source, Softpedia, is reliable.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Vi…odec-Pack.shtml

Note: I am comfortable with this codec pack and with the source. However, there are other packs and sources that may be questionable. Additionally, you can get yourself into difficulties when attempting to display media that alerts you to download their own specific codec. Such instances may have been written competently, or they may contain poorly written or corrupt compression/decompression routines, or can harm your system files. Therefore it is more sensible to obtain a widely recommended collection (pack) of Codecs for use with all your media display. If the media you wish to view/hear does not display with your K-lite Codec pack then there may be reason to be suspect of the specific media. In those cases, move on to another source that offers the same content but with compatible Codecs. [Know your source]
There are no columns that are muted or have the volume slide bar significantly reduced in the volume controls. You understand my situation correctly. Recenly I have seen that in the Device Manager two things have yellow question marks on them. The RAID Controller has a question mark near it. And the Video Controller (VGA Compatible) has a question mark near it. Can this be the source of my sound problems? I've tried updating the drivers with my Windows XP CD to no avail. I'm thinking that I need to uninstall these drivers and reinstall them. But I do not know where to get the proper software for reinstalling the drivers. Since it did not give me the opportunity to update the drivers with my Windows XP CD, I foresee that it will not allow me to reinstall the drivers with the CD. Where can I download the software to reinstall the drivers?
Your drivers for RAID and VGA are not likely to be found on your XP CD. If this is a store-bought computer, you may have received a Drivers Resource CD that contains all the necessary drivers for the machine as originally configured. If your Sound Card and/or RAID configuration is not original equipment, then use the installation CD that accompanied that hardware or go to the manufacturer site. Regarding your VGA listing a ? question mark, this may be in reference to your Monitor. Have you switched Monitors. If so, your machine may have selected "Default Monitor" for the driver. This may pose "no problem", but could restrict the range of resolutions you can display through your graphics accelerator. Have you added additional hardware since the machine was new, or more importantly have you added new hardware recently before the problem started occurring? I doubt the VGA or RAID are influencing your sound, but you might as well fix them. I again recommend that you download the current/updated ChipSet Drivers for your MotherBoard directly from your MotherBoard manufacturer's site. It's remarkable what benefit that can accomplish. Note: When "re-installing" drivers, remove/uninstall the current driver prior to installing the fresh driver. Best Regards
I just updated my chipset drivers from my motherboard manufacturer's site. I am still having the same problem with my sound. I have no CD's or disks that came with my computer. What else can I do to fix my sound problem?
Is this your Audio Driver? (if not which one does your machine require?)
Please notice that during the installation, you may be given the option of "disabling" various components.
You might uninstall/reinstall and watch the installation options carefully.

C-Media 8738 Audio driver 5.12.01.0644
Description
This download contains the Windows XP audio driver and Mixer control panel for C-Media 8738 Sound cards and onboard chips. An onboard chip built onto the motherboard, as opposed to a sound card which is a separate card that slots into the motherboard (onboard chips cannot be replaced - only disabled, but sound cards can be swapped at any time). The setup program will install version 5.12.01.0644 onto your system and gives you the option to you configure the 8738 card/chip to assign speakers, disable the MIDI game port, assign the phone jacks and more. For additional information, see the readme file included in the C-Media 8738 download package.


Is your Audio Device an "onboard" or PCI Card?

Is it possible that you have both "onboard" and later added a PCI sound card?

Have you looked in your CMOS settings to make sure that peripherals such as Sound are not disabled?

Best Regards
Im not sure if my audio device is an "onboard" or PCI card. My sound is not disabled in the Bios Settings. I don't know what the problem could be.
Hi Spyware_hater_2.

When you physically look at the back of your computer tower, you will see the socket where your speaker cord is plugged in.

PCI Card slots are arranged such that their sockets mount to the back case horizontally and toward the bottom.
On-board graphics/sound/network interface/ mouse, keyboard, printer; are generally vertical and above the PCI slot mountings.

///
/// <— On-Board stuff
///
///
_______
_______
_______ <— PCI cards
_______

In the event that you have BOTH PCI sound card AND On-Board Sound, you may benefit from trying the other socket (PCI vs. Onboard) in case the Onboard (being Enabled) is interferring with an add-on PCI Sound Card.

You should also make sure that your speaker wire is plugged into the correct receptical. There are usually three (3) color coded round sockets for Microphone - Speaker - Aux. The plug and socket are usually color coded the same so a green speaker cord plugs into a green speaker socket terminal.
Amazingly speakers will sometimes run (sort of) even when plugged into the wrong terminal.

Have you tried loading the K-Lite Codec pack?

I'll look around to see if Microsoft or another reputable site has a good trouble-shooting decision tree to explore this further.

What does the computer manufacturer's site have to say about your sound connections?

Will you please run a Full Test over at PCPitstop.com?
The Full Test there will give you a read-out for all installed hardware and software as well as a measure of how each is presently functioning. With that information, we may be able to narrow down your search.

Go To: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on: Full Tests (first item in the left hand column)
Register and create a password
Click on Full Tests again, and then "Test this system"
You will then be asked to accept an ActiveX to enable running the Full Test on your machine. (it's safe and free)
When you get your Test Results - takes about 3 minutes on broadband, a little longer on dial-up, please
Click on TechExpress

Previous Test Results
Summary
Test Details
Hardware List
Installed Software
System Comparisons
Test History

Share Results with
TECH EXPRESS


The above list of selections will be up toward the top of your page in a yellow/brown box
Click TechExpress, then highlight and copy the Full information in the TechExpress address.

Paste that TechExpress back here into this Forum so that we can have a better look at how your machine is set up and running right now.

We may then be better informed and better able to help you.

Best Regards
Hi Spyware_Hater,

Thanks for posting the Pit Test.
Here we go.
This may be more on track for the problem you are experiencing.

You may have become a victim of Microsoft trying to help via automatic updates.
They now have Windows Driver Foundation WDF, which has replaced the older generic Windows Driver Model WDM. These Windows System features are designed to provide a better interface between the Windows System and various Application and Peripheral Driver features (for instance C-Media AC'97 audio) written by third-party software and hardware providers. You can look it up through google to understand more WDM if you want.

Anyway, WDM works great, unless it doesn't work at all!

In my experience AC'97 driver software has been one of the "fatalities" of Microsofts efforts to give you the best driver-interface possible. WDM gets pushed via monthly patches and critical updates, so most people may not even notice unless something stops working. Thus Windows may have attempted to update a sound driver "interface" that now doesn't work for your system. Your prior setup did work, so you need to be able to get back to that prior good setting.

GoTo:
start - control panel - Sound Audio devices
Click the Hardware Tab
Read/Scroll through the list of device drivers looking for your ( C-Media AC97)
Highlight the C-Media Driver and click on Properties
On that C-Media Properties screen, click on the Driver Tab
From the Driver tabbed screen you will see the opportunity to "Roll Back Driver"
Click on Roll Back Driver.
[the worst that can happen is that Windows has not saved any copies of prior functioning Audio drivers]
(you'll get a warning screen that says "No driver files have been baked up for this device")
[the best that can happen is that Windows will allow you to roll back to the prior driver that did work!]
Click on OK and Apply as you close out these panels.
Reboot

Note: in the Roll Back, the "name" of your driver may switch to RealTek '97, but the name is not a problem if it works!

OK, what if there is no RollBack option?

Well then we're bacK to getting the exact best driver from C-Media web site:
Go to:
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/driverdownload/e_tech_01.htm
Select either OnBoard or PCI Audio according to what you have, then follow their identification tree options until you get to your correct audio device Driver.
Download and install.

Let us know how you are progressing.

Best Regards
I looked in Device Manager and there was no RollBack Option. So I decided to go to the website you posted for receiving the exact best driver for my C-media device. I downloaded and installed it, and restarted my computer to no avail. I found that the sound problem remained the same. Some websites work and others don't. And I still am not able to hear windows logon and shutdown music. What else can I do to fix this problem?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI