This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

My CPU is sick, help!

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfigReminder] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msconfig.exe /reminder


Lets see what you have unchecked with Msconfig.
click Start> Run> type in Msconfig tap enter key.
look in the Startup. List everything there and point out which ones have a check next to it.
MSConfig List MoneyStartUp - Not checked Taskbar Display Controls - Not checked ScanRegistry - Checked TaskMonitor - Checked PCHealth - Checked SystemTray - Checked LoadPowerProfile - Checked MMTray - Not Checked hpsysdrv - Not Checked Delay - Not Checked MotiveMonitor - Not Checked WorksFUD - Not Checked Microsoft Works Portfolio - Not Checked Microsoft Works Update Detection - Not Checked HPStart - Not Checked Adaptec DirectCD - Not Checked Tour - Not Checked AVG7_CC - Not Checked AVG7_EMC - Not Checked AVG7_AMSVR - Not Checked LoadPowerProfile - Checked SchedulingAgent - Checked SSDPSRV - Not Checked *StateMgr - Not Checked Keyboard Manager - Not Checked KB891711 - Not Checked
Adaptec DirectCD - Not Checked <–Is your CD drive working?

The next 3 are part of the Anti-Virus.
AVG7_CC - Not Checked
AVG7_EMC - Not Checked
AVG7_AMSVR - Not Checked

This is the USB driver. Is your mouse a USB mouse?
SSDPSRV - Not Checked
My CD drive stop working awhile ago. So I purchased a DVD+-RW drive and installed it. As for my mouse it is a regular PS2 connection.
The only other thing I can suggest is to try restoring to a previous date before the virus.


Restart your computer in Safe Mode.

When the PC begins to start, Press the F8 key until the startup menu appears.

Choose the Command Prompt option then press Enter.


at the C:\ type in scanreg /restore (Note that there is a space between scanreg and /restore). It will prompt you for your choice of registry to restore. Pick a date of a registry that used to work properly. Then you'll be prompted to reboot.
Well, Thanks for your help, however the problem is still not fixed. I did as you mentioned and restored to the earliest day possible. I am not sure what to do now, maybe install a new hard drive, who knows?
I can't believe it! :D I borrow a Logitech mouse that I have at work and used it on this cpu at home, and it seems to be working alright so far. I been messing around with it long enough that it should have started to act funny by now. So do you think you cured the problem? What should I do now, if anything? And Thanks again.
Good Job

Looks good :D

Do the following:
In Windows, on the Windows desktop, double-click the My Computer icon.

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
On the View tab, check Hide file extensions for known file types.

Then, under the "Hidden files" folder, uncheck Show hidden files and folders.

Click Apply.
Click OK.

To disable Windows Me System Restore
Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
Double-click the System icon.

——————————————————————————–
Note: If the System icon is not visible, click "View all Control Panel options" to display it.
——————————————————————————–

On the Performance tab click File System.

Click the Troubleshooting tab, and then check Disable System Restore.

Click OK. Click Yes, when you are prompted to restart Windows.


Now enable.

To enable Windows Me System Restore
Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
Double-click System.
On the Performance tab click File System.
On the Troubleshooting tab, uncheck Disable System Restore.
Click OK. Click Yes, when you are prompted to restart Windows.


If you dont have these three programs I would recommend that you get them. Spywareblaster, Spywareguard and IESPY AD. They will add 1000's of sites to your resticted zone and block some hijacks from happening. I also have a FREE FIREWALL and FREE ANTI VIRUS if you need one.

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system.

Keep your system up to date and run Adaware & Spybot, once a week works, and hopefully you will be ok from here on.

Safe Surfing. :D
Okay, Again I can't thank you enough for the help. I did as you said and restored my restore, and download the spyware programs and the firewall and AVG. So out of all the programs that I downloaded thru-out this process, which ones should I use and are there any that I can get rid of. I have to ask though, are you sure everything is fine, do you need to see another hijack report or activescan report?
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI