Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Hopelessly crashed - no internet access!

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 Cooncatz

Cooncatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:12 AM

RE: My sons computer: Big mess! I recently set up a Belkin wireless adapter and he was online fine. It was slow and glicthy, but he could surf and do Yahoo Messenger so that was good for now. BUT, I realized he could not access my printer for homework so I contacted Belkin (no help). I decided I could figure it out, how to network our 2 PCs that is... HAHAAAA! Funny me! This is were something horrible went wrong. The Belkin seems to be working, but every time IE loads I get concurrent messages: The horrible, "cannot find server" followed by "IE has encountered an error and needs to shut down." These keep flicking up no matter how many times I close them out. Now, let me back up, as I turned on the PC yesterday, these are the many errors I received throughout the day (I did do Adaware, and Spybot and found much carp** and fixed that). I just want to give you a picture. (He also cannot get his EZ firewall to start. There is an X through the icon. ) Iexplore - illegal op Explorer error - invalid page vault WS2-32DLL rundll32 Ndetect VSUTIL.dll Vsmon Today, I still get Vsmon, Rundll 32, Explorer error and cannot get online at all. :angry: I do not know if the prior owner had Zone Labs, but I can find no trace of it!!! I also got rid of Norton weeks ago. I uninstalled and reinstalled Belkin. I uninstalled Yahoo Messenger for now, but left toolbar, home page etc. What is this all? Is it something I did in attempting to network us, or did the viruses do all this damage? :unsure: Will he ever get on line? I just want to get a Hijack This report in and I can't with him down! Thanks in advance! Janet

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Cooncatz

Cooncatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:18 PM

I went ahead and put this in the 'log forum,' but I had put it here first because I thought it may be an equipment problem as I got rid of all the viruses. Also, because I can't do a hijack log at this time with no access. So, I am not sure where I belong, but I need help. Thanks, Janet

#3 Cooncatz

Cooncatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:36 PM

I will see if I can get a report on a disc. But I can't install anything because I can't access the web. I used to have Outpost on mine, but had a lot of trouble with it. I was advised to get rid of it. It wouldn't let me do anything so I unloaded it and it was the paid version. The firewall 'X in the box' thing started after all of this other stuff. Let me see if I can find a disc and get the report. Thx, Janet

#4 Cooncatz

Cooncatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:41 PM

My other son took all of my discs. I have none. I guess I am out of luck for now! :( If I could just get online for a minute! Janet

#5 Cooncatz

Cooncatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:04 PM

I can go into SAFE mode, but cannot get internet from there. Is this what you meant? Janet

#6 Cooncatz

Cooncatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:46 PM

LOL! I know nothing about networking. That is most likely why I'm in this jam! We aren't connected yet. He is running off a Belkin wireless adapter off of my highspeed cable. That is as "networked" as we are. I simply wanted him to have printer access. The Microsoft site said I needed to run wireless networking setups for both PCs. So I did. This is when I noticed I wasn't getting an internet connection anymore. Up until this point, for weeks, he was online okay. The Belkin equipment seems to be working fine. For the heck of it I ran Adaware and Spybot. He had a ton of stuff, some critical. This did not help any! I am puzzled! Janet

#7 Cooncatz

Cooncatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

I found an old floppy and GOT THE REPORT! I posted it over on the report forum as it says not to here. What a relief! Well, I hope so! I still think it's something more than a virus. Janet

#8 Cooncatz

Cooncatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 05:52 PM

Forgive me, but I am not very educated on the running of computers just using them! He is just running off the router. All I did was install the router and adapter discs in the proper machines and plugged in the equipment. He was online then. For weeks! I didn't realize I had to set up a network to get him access to my printer. The Belkin directions did not address this issue so I had no idea. Remember, I know nuttin! I did not know how to set up a network so I looked at Microsoft.com. I ran the wizards and enabled printer and file sharing. BUT, when I run the wizard on MY PC, it says no computer can connect through me as I need to be connected to the network. Since I am the network I just gave up! How can I not be connected to the network??? So, I don't care anymore about networking. I just want him to run off the router like he did. I saw some suspicious stuff on the report. I do not think anyone will help me there as no one is even looking and I been there all day. I do see Zone on the report. I used a Zone remover yesterday, but obviously it didn't work? Janet

#9 Cooncatz

Cooncatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:00 PM

The router for the wireless is plugged in to the USB on mine. He has an adapter in his USB port. Janet

#10 Cooncatz

Cooncatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:21 PM

>user accounts enable the guest account and password protect it. Then go to his comp, and change the login to < When I do this task, it takes me to the internet on a Google search! Is this what you intended to happen? :scratch: Janet

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Cooncatz

Cooncatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:41 PM

uh... yeah... :blink: It is the address box. It didn't do that when I typed in my network places... J

#12 Cooncatz

Cooncatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:56 PM

I do not know about the Data Advisor right now? BUT I did enable Guest account. There is, however, no place to add a password from this screen. I will do some looking around but for now it is not p/w protected. I have XP if that makes diff. Thx,J

#13 Cooncatz

Cooncatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:01 PM

I cannot p/w the guest account? I see no way. Maybe I should go and create a new account instead?

#14 Cooncatz

Cooncatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:05 PM

OK I did. I will do the wizard and cross my fingers it does NOT tell me I am not connected to the network of which is ME! J

#15 Cooncatz

Cooncatz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:14 PM

Argh! Same thing. From the Wizard, I am choosing the option of: This computer connects directly to the internet and others connect thru it. To which it then tells me: Wizard cannot be completed. Others cannot connect thru this computer. In addition to the internet connection, this computer needs to be connected to your network. PLEASE tell me how my computer, is not connected to the network if I am the network? How does this make any sense??????? J