This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Please Help - Not Sure If I Have Spyware?

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been dealing with spyware for a while, but a couple of weeks ago, my browser was hijacked and there were some drive by downloads installed on my computer. It just seems there's been one thing or another since then that I've had to delete/remove. We had adaware and have recently purchased adwatch to block most. I think I still have some spyware on my computer, but I am not positive. Please let me know what, if anything I need to remove.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.


Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 4:09:57 PM, on 4/15/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\Rtvscan.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
C:\docume~1\alicia\locals~1\temp\itj.exe
C:\docume~1\alicia\locals~1\temp\VcZSI.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-watch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Image Transfer\SonyTray.exe
F:\goldmine\gmw5.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Oql0lWNz.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\UtwO4S.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\alicia\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 2 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://popnav.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {71ED4FBA-4024-4bbe-91DC-9704C93F453E} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDF Converter Registry Controller] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PDF Converter\RegistryController.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-aware] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-aware.exe" +c
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [itj] C:\docume~1\alicia\locals~1\temp\itj.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VcZSI] C:\docume~1\alicia\locals~1\temp\VcZSI.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mwsvm] C:\WINDOWS\mwsvm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-watch] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-watch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hxdswxvw] C:\WINDOWS\System32\xamuavri.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SearchNavVersion] U_Ôw\searchnavversion.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [searchnav] C:\Documents and Settings\alicia\Desktop\searchnav.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [4GT379L2KLSD35] C:\WINDOWS\System32\Lbk7.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O4 - Startup: GoldAlarm.lnk = goldmine\gmw5.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Image Transfer.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open PDF in Word - res://C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PDF Converter\IEShellExt.dll /100
O12 - Plugin for .mid: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.hotmail.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.usps.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.windowsupdate.com
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {2CAB81F6-1CBB-49FD-809E-B2D37D0CFFED} - http://www.popmonster.com/control/src/iefeatures.ocx
O16 - DPF: {3E68E405-C6DE-49FF-83AE-41EE9F4C36CE} (Office Update Installation Engine) - http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/content/opuc.cab
O16 - DPF: {3F456907-3A20-4AC0-9EA9-CD2917FA427B} (fileuploader.ctlMain) - https://www.webconference.com/webconference…/fileupload.CAB
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/…7889.8754282407
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = chea-elks.local
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = chea-elks.local
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = chea-elks.local
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = chea-elks.local
Hi delilahbean,

Welcome to TomCoyote Forums. You have a Peper trojan; that's a rather nasty bit of work that needs a special tool to remove it. :(

Click here: http://home.iprimus.com.au/mbuchan/peperuninst.exe to download the Peper removal tool. Double click on 'uninst.exe', let it run to termination. You must be online to have this work and do not block any attempts for the program to connect to internet if your firewall asks permission.

REBOOT when done, rescan with HJT and post a new log here so that any remnants can be removed manually.
Thank you so much for responding and helping me. I really appreciate it.

I downloaded the removal tool and let it run and have rebooted the computer. Following is the new log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 8:22:14 AM, on 4/16/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\Rtvscan.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-watch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Image Transfer\SonyTray.exe
F:\goldmine\gmw5.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\alicia\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 2 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://popnav.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {71ED4FBA-4024-4bbe-91DC-9704C93F453E} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDF Converter Registry Controller] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PDF Converter\RegistryController.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-aware] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-aware.exe" +c
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [itj] C:\docume~1\alicia\locals~1\temp\itj.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VcZSI] C:\docume~1\alicia\locals~1\temp\VcZSI.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mwsvm] C:\WINDOWS\mwsvm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-watch] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-watch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hxdswxvw] C:\WINDOWS\System32\xamuavri.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SearchNavVersion] U_Ôw\searchnavversion.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [searchnav] C:\Documents and Settings\alicia\Desktop\searchnav.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [4GT379L2KLSD35] C:\WINDOWS\System32\Lbk7.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O4 - Startup: GoldAlarm.lnk = goldmine\gmw5.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Image Transfer.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open PDF in Word - res://C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PDF Converter\IEShellExt.dll /100
O12 - Plugin for .mid: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.hotmail.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.usps.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.windowsupdate.com
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {2CAB81F6-1CBB-49FD-809E-B2D37D0CFFED} - http://www.popmonster.com/control/src/iefeatures.ocx
O16 - DPF: {3E68E405-C6DE-49FF-83AE-41EE9F4C36CE} (Office Update Installation Engine) - http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/content/opuc.cab
O16 - DPF: {3F456907-3A20-4AC0-9EA9-CD2917FA427B} (fileuploader.ctlMain) - https://www.webconference.com/webconference…/fileupload.CAB
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/…7889.8754282407
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = chea-elks.local
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = chea-elks.local
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = chea-elks.local
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = chea-elks.local
Hi delilahbean,

Well, that's a bit of improvement. :D Now follow this link: http://broadbandmedic.com/download/VbStuff/PeperFix.exe and download the PeperFix tool. Save it to the desktop, double-click on it, click 'Find and Fix' and reboot if prompted.

Then start HijackThis, CLOSE ALL WINDOWS EXCEPT THE ONE HJT IS RUNNNG IN, and put a check in the box at the left of ONLY the following entries. Then click FIX CHECKED and let it run.


R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://popnav.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {71ED4FBA-4024-4bbe-91DC-9704C93F453E} - (no file)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [itj] C:\docume~1\alicia\locals~1\temp\itj.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VcZSI] C:\docume~1\alicia\locals~1\temp\VcZSI.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mwsvm] C:\WINDOWS\mwsvm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-watch] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-watch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hxdswxvw] C:\WINDOWS\System32\xamuavri.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SearchNavVersion] U_Ôw\searchnavversion.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [searchnav] C:\Documents and Settings\alicia\Desktop\searchnav.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [4GT379L2KLSD35] C:\WINDOWS\System32\Lbk7.exe

O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.windowsupdate.com

O16 - DPF: {2CAB81F6-1CBB-49FD-809E-B2D37D0CFFED} - http://www.popmonster.com/control/src/iefeatures.ocx


When the program finishes, REBOOT into SAFE MODE (tap F8 after the BIOS loads, or use whatever other procedure your computer may require) search for and DELETE the following files. Your computer MUST be configured to display Hidden and System Files; if you're not sure how to do that follow this link: http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html

C:\WINDOWS\mwsvm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\xamuavri.exe
U_Ôw\searchnavversion.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\alicia\Desktop\searchnav.exe

Then, clear out all your temporary folders. DO NOT delete any folders, just their contents.

Finally, REBOOT into Normal Mode and post a fresh log so we can determine what further needs to be done.
I downloaded the PeperFix tool and did all that you told me to do with that. Then I rebooted and ran HijackThis and did everything there. I ran into trouble in Safe Mode. I couldn't find any of the four files you told me to delete. I had configured the computer to display the Hidden and System Files, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I then searched for my temp folders and deleted all in them except I wasn't sure if I was supposed to delete thos files that warned me that it was a system file, I didn't delete desktop & thumbs - I'm not too sure of what I'm doing and wary of messing everything up, also our administrator probably won't be too happy with me, but please let me know if it's safe and they need to be deleted. Also, I thought I went into the the temporary internet files folder and deleted everything in it, but I've gone into it through IE tools/options and found things left that I deleted, then just now, I went in through Explore/local settings and found things in there that I deleted. Please let me know what I need to do about not finding the files. Thanks again for your help.

I couldn't find any of the four files you told me to delete. I had configured the computer to display the Hidden and System Files, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

That happens sometimes - they were probably orphan start-ups. k3dc was just ensuring nothing was left behind. Post you new HJT log as requested.
Following is my HijackThis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 8:12:41 AM, on 4/20/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\Rtvscan.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Image Transfer\SonyTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-watch.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\alicia\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 6 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDF Converter Registry Controller] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PDF Converter\RegistryController.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-aware] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-aware.exe" +c
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O4 - Startup: GoldAlarm.lnk = goldmine\gmw5.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Image Transfer.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open PDF in Word - res://C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PDF Converter\IEShellExt.dll /100
O12 - Plugin for .mid: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.hotmail.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.usps.com
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {3E68E405-C6DE-49FF-83AE-41EE9F4C36CE} (Office Update Installation Engine) - http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/content/opuc.cab
O16 - DPF: {3F456907-3A20-4AC0-9EA9-CD2917FA427B} (fileuploader.ctlMain) - https://www.webconference.com/webconference…/fileupload.CAB
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/…7889.8754282407
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = chea-elks.local
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = chea-elks.local
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = chea-elks.local
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = chea-elks.local
Hi delilahbean,

I really wish I could convince you to MOVE your "HijackThis.exe" to a PERMANENT folder. If something were to go wrong in the FIX process (either now or later) and the backups were DELETED from a Temporary folder, you could be left with NO WAY to restore your system. That could lead to the LOSS OF ALL DATA AND PROGRAMS on your hard disk!!

Needless to say, that's a risk I would NOT willingly face. ;)

Your log appears clean to me, but let's let Daemon have the final say- he's an expert, and I'm a trainee. He may see something I've missed.

Now, the trick will be KEEPING your hard-won freedom. I'd suggest going here: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html and downloading SpywareBlaster. It's a program I use, and that I recommend highly because it "inoculates" your computer so many parasites cannot download or run on it.

Also, please read this article: http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957 for a good overview of basic Internet security. If I may leave you with one thought, it's this: Security is NOT a destination, it's an endless journey.
Glad we could help :D There's nothing I can add to k3dc's fixes - that's a clean log well done :D

As this problem has been resolved the topic will be closed. If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)

The subject of the email must be "Reopen". Include your post username and details about why you need it reopened, with a valid link to your post.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI