Took repair option - no boot entries to list
Rebuild option failed to find a windows installation
Dir of c:\ shows folder names as "d" type with zero bytes
Tried to CD a folders but said cannot find file or directory specified
He has a 80GB hard disk and it chkdsk says he has 78GB free.
Looks like it has been wiped.
Any way to recover data on hard disk? Booting off CD and using some recovery tools?
In a roundabout route via putting the Windows CD in an office PC I have managed to successfully expand hal.dll and put it in system32 folder.
On reboot I now get a similar message for a missing file in system32 for ntoskrnl.exe and that is as far as I can get. Similar to when I got the hal.dll is missing message it said that it failed to scan for windows installations and that I should run chkdsk. Did that but got the same message again.
I can change to directories under Windows but any other I get Access Denied. I can see files in the windows and system32 directories. Non-windows directories all seem empty except for directories when I use DIR.
Do you think the File Allocation Table been destroyed or that data has really been wiped?
Is a restore of Windows on the cards?
Try this:
to fix the problem without losing your most important data:——–
you may repair windows xp by reinstalling main files. the way to do this is using your xp cd and when the chocies appear hit enter to install windows. "DO NOT TYPE R TO GO TO LOAD THE RECOVERY CONSOLE" you will then accept the agreement and then it will ask you
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
windows will then erase and copy new files to the hard drive. the computer will later boot and when it asks you if you want to boot from the cd dont hit anything just let windows run and theN setup should keep working.
Just started the repair process.
After accepting the agreement there was no repair option, just setup Windows, create and delete partitions options.
Were you expecting a 4th option?
OK pity.
I now have the option of retaining the present file system or formatting.
Is it worth trying with the present file system in the state it might be?
Sorry for being very pedantic here but I overwrite the current windows installation which deletes all user accounts etc rather than installing in another folder.
Sorry for being very pedantic here but I overwrite the current windows installation which deletes all user accounts etc rather than installing in another folder.
True The main thing is to be able to get the data. You can install in a new Directory if you choose to.
Make sure you have your Anti-Virus program running before going on the internet.
Then pickup any of these programs you don't have. After that then post the HJT log.
If you dont have these three programs I would recommend that you get them. Spywareblaster,Spywareguard and IESPY AD. They will add 1000's of sites to your resticted zone and block some hijacks from happening. I also have a FREE FIREWALL and FREE ANTI VIRUS if you need one.
It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI