I downloaded Disk Cleaner and will take a look at it when I am less tired. Thanks.
The idea of false positives is interesting. I have always wondered why none of the other anti-malware applications picked up any hint of the problem at all. Problem with false positives is that you can never really be certain. C'est la vie I suppose.
Concerning the ActiveX blocking… Does it make sense that any of the anti-malware applications might be responsible? Can I check running in Safe Mode with Networking and try to reach the Windows Update site successfully? Or should I disable the applications one by one and if so how besides uninstalling?
I am being humbled by my lack of knowledge here!
Try this:
goto Start>Run>Services.msc
look for Background Intelligent Transfer Service
start it if tis stopped, and then right click it and click Properties>and set its startup type to Automatic
restart and now check if any progress ??
LD,
Background Intelligent Transfer Service was started as it should have been. Didn't make any difference with the ActiveX blocking issue.
One additional question to exploit your expertise. I have the following anti-malware applications on the computer now, with most of them having their respective active protection segments enabled.
eTrust PestPatrol
Ewido Security Suite
Ad-Aware SE Personal
Spy Sweeper
Spybot Search & Destroy
CWShredder
Trend Micro Anti-Spyware
Trojan Hunter
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Guard
ZoneAlarm Security Sweep (anti-virus and anti-spyware enabled)
Security Task Manager
Anti-Hijack Launch Pad (I have not used this one)
I am thinking overkill, paranoia, and conflict issues. Which would you recommend keeping? Think quality not cost. Any ones I might have missed?
Best regards,
RL
eTrust PestPatrol
Ewido Security Suite
Ad-Aware SE Personal
Spy Sweeper
Spybot Search & Destroy
CWShredder
Trend Micro Anti-Spyware
Trojan Hunter
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Guard
ZoneAlarm Security Sweep (anti-virus and anti-spyware enabled)
Security Task Manager
Anti-Hijack Launch Pad (I have not used this one)
Well you should only have 1 Anti-Virus running at a time. Have more can cause lock-ups and conflicts.
Are you using ZoneAlarm's Firewall as well?
Just for kicks, turn everything off with ZoneAlarm and see if you can get updates.
Yes I use ZoneAlarms firewall too.
OK, I am over my head here now–have been for awhile I think. I do not understand what you mean by "turn everything off with ZoneAlarm". I was under the impression that ZoneAlarm only effected a program's ability to communicate with the internet. If I am to "turn everything off", how do I accomplish that?
What I was thinking about was sequentially disabling the active shields, such as those in Spy Sweeper, Venus Spy Trap in Trend Micro, etc etc, to see if one or more of them was responsible for the ActiveX block. If going this route, I suspect that it would be easier begin by disabling them all at once to see if that resolves the issue, and then put them back in one at a time. Tedious I know, but I cannot think of any other way.
What I was thinking about was sequentially disabling the active shields, such as those in Spy Sweeper, Venus Spy Trap in Trend Micro, etc etc, to see if one or more of them was responsible for the ActiveX block. If going this route, I suspect that it would be easier begin by disabling them all at once to see if that resolves the issue, and then put them back in one at a time. Tedious I know, but I cannot think of any other way.
It may have been a good idea but in my hands, implementation was a nightmare. Needless to say I made zero progress. Fact is that I do not really know how to "turn off" the anti-malware applications to run a decent experiment. Appears that all Microsoft ever wants is to run ActiveX which my computer refuses to allow for whatever reason.
I must say I am concerned about the Windows Update issue. When I got as far as the Update webpage, it stated explicitly that updates were available for XP SP2. Well they have certainly not auto-downloaded here. Yet that very same page says my Auto-Update is enabled.
My apologies for showing frustration! It is directed at myself and Microsoft, certainly not at you.
You can try it this way. Look at what's in the startup.
click Start> Run> type in Msconfig tap enter key.
look in the Startup.
You can uncheck one at a time , which requires a reboot each time. If you uncheck one and it didn't help, go back in msconfig and re-check it.
After you uncheck it, you'll be using Selective startup.
When you see the box popup that tells you that, just put a Check in the Box to not show that when you startup.
Auto-Updates did run late last night. No updates for XP, but some for Office 2003. I am not sure that this observation is conclusive regarding security updates.
I disabled all anti-malware applications using Msconfig as you suggested. Still unable to complete Genuine Windows Validation because “security settings do not allow ActiveX” (error code 0x80080206).
I disabled everything associated with Norton and Symantec, as well as one thing having no label at all. Exactly the same result.
I also tried turning ZoneAlarm off and using the Windows Firewall. Exactly the same result.
The only thing I can think of now is that I used Enough is Enough! to secure IE6, but that should effect only the Internet Zone, not the Trusted Zone and Windows Update is in the Trusted Zone.
I emailed Microsoft about the issue just now.
Finally heard from Microsoft this morning. Seems my first attempt to email them never went through so I tried again Friday.
They suggested a couple of things, and eureka one of them worked! All I needed to do was reset the IE6 options. I had previously locked down IE6 using Enough is Enough! and the resets to the default options for Security, Privacy, and Advanced took care of the problem of my not having been able to reach Windows Update.
Now I can lock down IE6 most of the time and merely reset the options when I want to manually check for updates. Tedious I agree but it works.
Rather looks as if we are done, or am I missing something (would not be the first time)?
In any event, thanks very much for all the help–it is truly appreciated indeed. All of you there are to be commended for helping bozos like me out, particulalry as volunteers.
Merry Christmas!
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.
Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.