This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Hijacked by CoolWWWSearch

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Lets try this:

1. Ctrl+Alt+Delete>File>New Task (Run…)

2. Type: ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/shellfix.reg

3. Click Ok and it will prompt to download shellfix.reg file

4. Click "Run" or Open file. Do not save it on your desktop, or anywhere on the computer.

5. After it runs, reboot your computer and the problem will be gone
During the first try I was asked to save "shellfix[1].reg" in the registry, to which I said No. Tried second time and clicking Open at File Download brings now up this: "Cannot find the file '"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\ … \shellfix[1].reg'" (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available." How did I screw this one up? Please advise, thanks.

During the first try I was asked to save "shellfix[1].reg" in the registry, to which I said No.

Answer yes to this. It needs to be merged in the registry.
The persistent two items are now gone after the latest action, and the computer works and acts OK. I replaced the small squares that had unexpectedly replaced the text "My Computer" by simply Renaming the text. I am very happy and grateful that this has been resolved. At the same time, it disturbs me very much that there are so many sharp but weird brains out there that could do much better things but choose deliberately to make mischief, cause grief to innocent people, impose a heavy financial burden, and all in one go. However, I will now build up my defences against invasion using all the good advise available right under my nose. Thank you all, Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year.
Good Job :thumbup:


Log looks good :D

Note: This will remove all previous Restore Points

Turn off System Restore:

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Restart your computer, turn it back on.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Remove the Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Click Start> My Computer, select the Tools menu and then Folder Options, after the new window appears select the View tab…]
This time select the: Restore Defaults
Select: Apply, and click OK




If you dont have these three programs I would recommend that you get them. Spywareblaster, Spywareguard and IESPY AD. They will add 1000's of sites to your resticted zone and block some hijacks from happening. I also have a FREE FIREWALL and FREE ANTI VIRUS if you need one.

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system.

Keep your system up to date and run Adaware & Spybot, once a week works, and hopefully you will be ok from here on. Both are available below.

Safe Surfing. :D

I would also suggest you read this:
So how did I get infected in the first place?
by Tony Klein
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI