This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

sudden frequent computer restarts

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Running Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 installed on a 1800+ AMD Athlon. All critical updates current. I'm running ZoneAlarm (free version) firewall. During spybot scans it only gets so far then my computer restarts. Spybot definitions are up to date and all possible immunizations are current. I ran stinger (current build) - it completed. I tried spybot again; restart midway again. I ran AdAware SE (current on updates). It found and got rid of 3 critical objects and 21 MRU's. Ran spybot again. Midway through (same place I noticed - it was while searching for "CoolWWWSearch.service" instances) computer restarted again. Ran AVG with most recent updates installed. It completed with no virus found. Tried spybot again and again with the restart. Sigh. Then I was reading a message forum tonight (using Mozilla Firefox browser) and my computer restarted twice in less than 10 minutes. Any ideas why this is happening and/or what I can do to fix this would be much appreciated. TIA. ~FM
Well…lets go ahead and eliminate the possibility of it being a spyware/malware issue first ok.. download Hijack This here and then scan but do not fix anything yet. Save your scan to a log file then click here to post your log into a new thread in the "hijack this logs and spyware/malware removal" forum.

Make sure you post it in that forum because if you post it here it may not get looked at and please be paitient….they've been real busy over there.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI