I was installing some software and during the middle of it, the system froze and would not respond without a hard boot.
Now, whenever I log on (regardless of the user), almost none of the desktop icons work, and when I try to start programs from the start menu, they don't work either. The only thing that does work is Internet Explorer, which is also the only desktop link that shows the correct icon.
The same thing occurs in safe mode.
I can start some programs from a command prompt, and have performed a repair install of XP, but there doesn't appear to be any change. msconfig looks correct as well.
I have been working on this for a week, so any help would be appreciated.
I am using the same hard drive that I always have. I forgot to mention that the only way I can get to a command prompt, is to do CTRL-ALT-DEL, select New Task, and then press enter while holding the CTRL key.
Also, when I right-click on the Start button, the only options I have are Properties, Open All Users, and Explore All Users. The Start - Run key doesn't work. I am always prompted to create an association for that file type.
No, I haven't installed any other drive, although I occassionally plug in a USB jump drive. I hadn't done that though, any time before the problem occurred. I plugged it in after the problem happened, and it seems to work fine.
OK well the reason I asked is if you plug another harddrive in that has a operating system installed on it you get the problems you are having. (because there are two active partitions and you can only have one active one so at boot, 90% of the time, one will cancel out the other and your left with not being able to boot at all)
Ok first, do you have an original Windows Installation cd or possibly an image burnt on to a drive? (or recovery/restore disks should work as well).. If so, grab them/it and put it in the drive. Click start, then run, type cmd and hit enter. At the prompt type (or copy and paste this) SFC /scannow and let it do its thing. Your running system file checker and it will replace/repair damaged/corrupt system files.
Note* there is a space between SFC and /scannow.
Post back afterwards and let us know how its going
Ok, first, download Hijack This here and then scan but do not fix anything yet. Save your scan to a log file then click here to post your log into a new thread in the "hijack this logs and spyware/malware removal" forum.
Ok, we need the error its giving you when click on.. well.. anything its giving it to you on. And please be precise, punctuation and case, exactly how it shows.
(is there anything in the program files folder … or is it all gone?)
I am not getting any error responses, per se. Here is what is occurring:
My desktop shortcuts no longer display the icon associated with the program, with the exception of Internet Explorer. They all display the generic Microsoft program icon. If I double click on any of the icons, nothing happens except that the icon becomes transparent.
When I right-click on the Start button, the only options I have are Properties, Open All Users, and Explore All Users. Before I would have Explore as an option plus some others that I never used so I don't recall what they are.
When I select Start/All Programs, all of my folders are displayed, but if I try to select any of the programs, nothing happens (just like the desktop).
If I select Control Panel, I receive a message that says "Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?" One time I said yes, but was unable to start the program from the desktop.
If I select Start/Run and enter a command, such as msconfig, I receive the error "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel".
All of my folders are still there. I can get many of my programs to run by performing CTL-ALT-DEL, selecting New Task while holding CTL. This gives me a command prompt. By navigating to the program directory, I can select the .exe file and the program will run.
I have checked, and all of my music, video, and pictures are still present.
The same behavior can be found in Safe Mode. It appears that some basic Windows file may be corrupted, but the repair install did not pick it up.
Ok. .. then you need run system file checker. Can you get a command prompt? if so .. have your Windows CD handy and put it in, then at the prompt type (or copy and paste) SFC /scannow