Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Uploading Avatars

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 P.T.

P.T.

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:computer stuff, web design, learning something new.

Posted 02 November 2003 - 04:41 PM

Hi Guys

Thanks for the compliments. :D Glad you like the new look. I've seen a post where SWI is back online. I'm going to check it out. Hopefully I'll see you there.

P.T.
Posted Image

What lies behind us and lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Computer Rx

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 projectX

projectX

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 05:54 PM

Project X

u will need to have the image (static or animated) hosted on a website (server) first.  Most ISPs will have a small amount of space allocated for thier members.  I have cox HSI and set my webpage up with them.

U then paste its address in the avatar control panel of your 'MyControls'

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info, Quack. Seeing as how I don't have a page setup, I guess I'll have wait my turn like everyone else! Patience, patience! :wall:

#18 Quack

Quack

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:04 PM

U dont have to have a page fully set up. If your isp provides space (all do), activate it (with ur password) and toss ur gif onto it!! Then link to it. Piece of cake!!!

#19 projectX

projectX

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 08:03 PM

Guess I'll have to give it a shot, Quack. Once again, thanks.

#20 black_swan

black_swan

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 07:36 PM

If your isp provides space (all do), activate it (with ur password) and toss ur gif onto it!! Then link to it. Piece of cake!!!

Did that one work for you, projectX?

I just tried it a couple of hours ago. The avatar appeared just for a moment but as soon as I tried refreshing the page, I got the familiar empty square with the X at the top left corner. :wtf: Refreshed again, logged out, shut down browser, cleared cookies and history, revisited forums, logged in again, NO avatar.

So I settled for choosing one from the available galleries (it was the only one a bit close to the one I've made). Looks good, but the swan is still missing... :(

Anyway. As it's already been said, let's just be patient. :)

BS :wavey:

Edited by black_swan, 06 November 2003 - 07:37 PM.

#21 projectX

projectX

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 07:52 PM

black swan, my interest in a simple avatar has led to a 2 month class in web page publishing, :o Regardless, IMO, any avatars will be deleted until new members reach they're required "status". I can't say I blame Tom & Co.; it's the rules, so follow them, or be deleted. Anyway, I'll just wait until I've filled the requirements. It seems to me that shouldn't be so hard, because this site gives a little more lee-way so far as subject-forums go. I love SWI, but I believe diversity rules! Talk at you later. p.s. Regardless of the rules, I will not only design my own useless web-page, but I will figure out how to hyper-link my own image to anywhere I choose, someday! ;) :D

#22 black_swan

black_swan

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 08:28 PM

You're right, we can't have everything. :P But I don't think it was Tom or the forum's rules that got my avatar deleted. I suspect it's the place where I uploaded it. No one likes any direct links to stuff on their web space (even if they offer it to users for free) and yes, I do believe this is only fair. They grant you the space but expect you not to abuse of it, and this is really how it should be. :mellow: This "(almost) everything for free" thing going on in the web has inevitably spoilt us, and sometimes it's difficult to comply with even the simplest rules. :P Cheers, BS