Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

So Much For Swi

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#31 grey fox

grey fox

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:43 AM

I was a fairly new member of SWI, so I do not know much about the politics or history between Lavasoft and Spybot and others, but I do feel that taking this course of action may be exactly what some people wanted. Mike, if you are reading, I hope you reconsider.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 atena

atena

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:44 AM

:rant: I was just in the process of registering at SWI when it disintegrated... For the last 2 months (ever since msblaster/lovesan gave me a 50+ computers headache) I have been in and around SWI regularly, finding answers without ever needing to register. I was always in some kind of a hurry, and the answer was already there. It's a shame and pity it is gone. I really, really hope that it comes back. After some honest consideration, I decided that swi did not die due to something I've done while registering :unsure:. I even considered the possibility that I obtained some malware that is preventing me from accessing it - that's how fast we get used to good things, and how we take them for granted. As a result, I registered here ASAP. If anybody reads this, I am grateful. If Mike reads this - please, give us some explanation. And I certainly do not think that I am entitled to it. We are just, you know, pleading and begging... (no emoticons for that...)
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. - Confucius

#33 projectX

projectX

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 08:43 AM

Well, seeing as how the majority of us were not "board members", the majority of the members at SWI will never know what really happened, and I'm not sure we should. It really doesn't matter. Whatever the problem was, it should have been handled with more mature attitudes long before it came to this. I've always appreciated all the work that Mike AND the admin/mods put into the site, and it's a shame it came to an end due to a difference of opinions, something that EVERYONE at SWI agreed was just fine. We should all be able to voice different opinions without fear of being banned (so long as it's kept clean). Regardless, SWI was my first forum, and I hope Mike and whoever else was involved in this soap opera can get their "baggage" put away, and get back to business, which should be protecting ourselves from the baddies/protecting our privacy. Also, I see a lot of the same members here, including a few who were admin/mods, who were members at SWI, and I'm hoping that whatever happened their isn't contagious, and followed them here. SWI may never reopen, and we all need a place to hang and discuss our spyware problems. Tom, here's to hoping that your grip on the reins is a little tighter! :thumbup:

#34 P.T.

P.T.

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:computer stuff, web design, learning something new.

Posted 02 November 2003 - 08:46 AM

Hello all, Well, I'm here. I don't know what to say...I was pretty new also but I really did enjoy SWI. It's different being here, I'm glad to see a lot of people from SWI here. Maybe it was too much of a hassle for Mike to have to deal with. We all have lives other than here in front of our computers. Mike had a lot more to deal with than we did. Who's to say? So, all I can say is I enjoyed it for the short time I was a part of the forum there. I wish Mike the best. I never knew him personally but he started a great thing. It would be nice to know how things are going for him. But as is the nature of the web, we may never know what happened. :scratch:
Posted Image

What lies behind us and lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Computer Rx

#35 discogail

discogail

-

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 08:48 AM

This will pass.......it must & will. be patient......don't worry. ;)

#36 Guest_Ghost_*

Guest_Ghost_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2003 - 08:59 AM

You know what's pathetic?

Net intergration board silences it's new members, no better than the lavaforums.

And all the little whiny spyware babies, are no better that the spyware authors themselves.

Here is a big GROW THE FU**{ UP!
(ok, maybe we aren't any better, can you control the language? Coyote)
From Ghost to those who it applies.

Let's see if the mods edit/delete this and prove themselves no better than the uh -uh who ruined SWI.

Edited by discogail, 02 November 2003 - 09:18 AM.

#37 discogail

discogail

-

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:16 AM

Ghost.....you're my goomba..you know that, my friend.....but don't go calling people names.......& especially do not make accusations that are from nowheresville. And yes...I will edit your post.....dips##t does not belong here.

#38 Guest_Ghost_*

Guest_Ghost_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:19 AM

Ghost.....you're my goomba..you know that, my friend.....

Always.

#39 cnm

cnm

-

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:35 AM

There can never be a SpywareInfo forum without Mike. The more I think about it, the more I wish I'd made the suggestion that occurred to me far too late. Rather than make IAMSKINZ a Developer, Mike could have given him special access to the Expert forum, the way he already did for two members. Or better yet he could have started an additional restricted section for discussion of LavaSoft issues, and given IAMSKINZ access to that. Then people like myself with really no interest in Lavasoft issues wouldn't have to read the stuff. Making IAMSKINZ part of our brotherhood was just wrong and got people upset.
Microsoft MVP Windows-Security 2005 Posted Image
The Boot camp at Spywareinfo.com

#40 Zero

Zero

Not really Less Than One ;-)

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Long walks on the beach.

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:44 AM

Editted per request
Posted Image

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#41 Guest_mikey_*

Guest_mikey_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:50 AM

Sorry, I'll reg later.

Mike cut his teeth at VOP and I like to think I had some influence in his thinking today. The only thing I hate worse than a tap on my box is blatant censorship for the sole purpose of controling what is said, thought, or exprressed. I sincerely hope that everyone involved will take the time Mike has offered to do some reflection.
Another thing is(the child in me); I would hate to hear LS say 'well we're not the only ones who do that...everyone else does it too' !!!

Second edit:

Another thing that bothers me is; I think the industry as a whole may have lost an opportunity to finally break thru the crust and have an avenue to discuss LS policy directly with them. I don't know about anyone else but I'm tired of having to make a spectacal out of every issue that comes up.

#42 Ghost

Ghost

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:52 AM

Yes i do have an idea, it's common sense.

I signed up for the net intergration board and yet i can't even post anything.

Squabbling people ruined SWI.

I will speak my mind because it's my right.

#43 Angoid

Angoid

Developer

• Dev
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Church, Computers, R/C model aircraft

Posted 02 November 2003 - 10:00 AM

I'm sure this forum will be great, but I dunno .... it won't be the same. You spend time looking at threads, getting to know the peoples' styles, getting to know the ropes, asking a few questions, hopefully answering some other people's questions. You get over 100 posts (or whatever it's configured to) and can give yourself custom member titles ;) (not that that's overly important) and it's like you get reset to zero. I'll probably drop in here from time to time, but don't know about regular posting now .... I'm NOT of the "walk out" mentality at all, but really don't have the time or the inkling to be thrown out of or into something by the back door due to some politics going on, and I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to either. :unsure: I've learned a LOT through my involvement with SWI, it was the first Internet forum I joined as well. I'm only in about 3 or 4 other forums anyway as I don't have time to keep up to date with everything. Guess it's a case of keeping up-to-date with the fixes, I assume CWShredder and HijackThis will continue to be updated as required, and see how it goes.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.

#44 TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Forum God

• Malware Expert
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 10:05 AM

I signed up for the net intergration board and yet i can't even post anything.

Would you care to explain, please?

I'm not aware of anyone being "blocked" from posting at present.
If you explain what's going on, I'll be happy to take it up with Eagle1 or Tommy

#45 Ghost

Ghost

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 10:11 AM

My username is ØPTIC @ Net Intergration and for some reason i cannot reply, or post even a test topic.

My assumption was that they had disabled new members posts till all this other business blows over.

I apologize for the trouble, my intentions are always good.