Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

?Internet Explorer - Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aromalady

aromalady

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:04 PM

:unsure: [font=Tahoma[size=3]
All of a sudden I am not able to go online using Internet Explorer w/o first turning off Norton Internet Security's Personal Firewall. It took me 2 days and numerous phone calls to find out it was the firewall that was preventing me from getting online. But now my concern is why did it work for years and now overnight it doesn't work. I have to say I feel uncomfortable turning off the firewall but I don't know how to get around it.

I have scanned with Spybot S & D and came up with 2 items - got rid of the one but the other comes up as ebay toolbar and it won't remove it. Have you heard of ebay's toolbar being spyware?

I have Norton Antivirus scheduled to run weekly and I periodically run TrendMicro's free housecall scan. The last time I ran Trend Micro's scan it came up with 99 spywares on my machine and we supposedly removed them but I still have the IE/firewall problem.

Any and all help is gratefully appreciated.

Aromalady
scents make healthy sense

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:54:22 PM, on 10/6/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Edited by aromalady, 06 October 2005 - 06:59 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:17 PM

hi aromalady,

I have to say I feel uncomfortable turning off the firewall

if this is the case you might as well uninstall it, its useless if its turned off. not sure why it dosnt work all of a sudden but there are other firewalls out there.
one thing, make sure xp "firewall" is turned off. i would uninstall nortons firewall via add/remove programs panel; and go with another fire wall:

Install a firewall. A firewall will control what comes in from the internet and what leaves your computer to the internet. A firewall will also alert you when a application trys to connect to the internet from your computer, this is a good way to catch crapware or trojans, trying to connect out bound from your computer- whats that and why does it need a internet connection? You can deny it access it until more investigation is done. Zone Alarm is a free and easy to use firewall, that will provide in and outbound protection. Microsoft XP firewall only provides inbound protection. SP2 adds in and out bound protection which is better than nothing, but is not as robust as third party firewalls, Be sure to run only >one< firewall.If you use another, be sure to disable XP's built in firewall. A inexpensive NAT hardware router with SPI (firewall)would be even better,along with a software firewall.
Zone Alarm
Kerio Personal Firewall
Outpost Firewall
Sygate Personal Firewall
Tiny Firewall
How Can I Reduce My Risk?