This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Favicon

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I forget the size needed to be a favicon but I think it's appearance would work well as that.

icons are 16x16, the ones on your desktop are 32x32
I thought they had to be 16x16 too. I resized and converted your nav in Irfanview. But it has little pink edges where it was rounded off. Maybe that's the masking color? When I used it on a shortcut on the desktop, the edges remained. I can't attach it here so I'll email it to you. I went to SpywareInfo and looked at his favicon. I grabbed it out of my Temp Int and it is 32 x32 ?
I had made 2 sizes, this is the small one 24x22. I could resize it down more, but I know nothiing re Favicons. An icon is not a gif, I do know that.. And yes, mo, the fuschia is the .gif designated transparent color.

Attachments:

  • [attachment removed: small_tc1.gif]
When I took the original image, it saved as a gif. I converted it to an icon in Irfanview and resized it. I was going to then open it in icon edit to remove the edges and make them transparent. BUT Iconedit gets tempermental. Sometimes when a gif is converted to an icon, the darn thing only sees blank images. Frustrating! To convert a gif to an icon…… We need a better graphics program possibly. Wish I could have been of more help. the conversoin is the trouble. Let me save as Bmp and see what happens if I convert that. …. I am graphically challenged!
Hooray! I saved as Bmp. Then loaded into Irfanview. Resized and converted to ico. It's on the desktop and has a perfect shape and no pink edges. I'll email it to you, Tom. cnm, Would you like a copy of it too? Did you make the original? It is really very nice. I like the new graphics here. Mo
Nope.

Yes I made it from a larger one that Zero made. Gif Construction Set Pro.

I can easily get a copy if you attach it here. No need to send.

I usually use plain old Paint for convertiing file types, .gif to .jpg or whatever. Converting to .gif doesn't usually work very well because of color mapping.
cnm, That was odd. Double post. Different attachment. I downloaded ,renamed back. It got scrambled. Mo
Let me try that. Nope. No icons allowed even with the img tags. The text rename scrambled the file. No bypassing the rules. No icons. And they have it locked tight. Which is probably good.