This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

I hope you can help

109 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I cant seem to find that. Before you delete the file you can bring up a screen to get info. When I do that it says Name: cws.msconfig Database ID-5000 Detetected in: cool web search variants cws shredder Path n/a I copied the log again so maybe you will see something. Please tell me if Im not looking at the correct info. Machine=DHWSSV31 Time=Thu Sep 22 19:59:05 2005 Product Version=3, 0, 1, 23 OS Version=Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600) Started Scanning Programs in Memory Finished Scanning ——————————— Anti-Spyware session started ——————————— Machine=DHWSSV31 Time=Thu Sep 22 20:34:16 2005 Product Version=3, 0, 1, 23 OS Version=Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600) Started Scanning Programs in Memory Finished Scanning Started Scanning Internet Cookies Internet Cookies: Found 'questionmarket.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache' CoolWebSearch Variants (CWShredder) CoolWebSearch Variants (CWShredder): Found 'CWS.MSConfig' in '' Programs in Memory Windows Registry Internet URL Shortcuts Files and Directories Finished Scanning Started Backup Finished Backup Started Cleaning Internet Cookies: Cleaned 'questionmarket.com' in 'Internet Explorer Cache' Finished Cleaning Started Scanning Internet Cookies CoolWebSearch Variants (CWShredder) CoolWebSearch Variants (CWShredder): Found 'CWS.MSConfig' in '' Programs in Memory Windows Registry Scanning is stopping… Started Scanning Internet Cookies CoolWebSearch Variants (CWShredder) CoolWebSearch Variants (CWShredder): Found 'CWS.MSConfig' in '' Programs in Memory Windows Registry Scanning is stopping… Started Scanning Internet Cookies CoolWebSearch Variants (CWShredder) CoolWebSearch Variants (CWShredder): Found 'CWS.MSConfig' in '' Programs in Memory Windows Registry Internet URL Shortcuts Files and Directories Finished Scanning Started Backup Finished Backup Started Cleaning CoolWebSearch Variants (CWShredder): Cleaned 'CWS.MSConfig' in '' Finished Cleaning Started Cleaning Internet Explorer/MSN/AOL Cache Delete History Items on Startup: Cleaned 'Internet Explorer/MSN/AOL Cache' in '' Internet Browser History Delete History Items on Startup: Cleaned 'Internet Browser History' in '' Windows Temp Files Delete History Items on Startup: Cleaned 'Windows Temp Files' in '' Cookies Delete History Items on Startup: Cleaned 'Cookies' in '' Finished Cleaning Im curious to no why it says found cws.mfg in " and doesnt actually say were.?
removed cws.msconfig.afterwood ran cc cleaner.In the issues part it removed hku\software\microsoft\window\ current version\explorer\fileext\.key Is there a connection?
Could be.

Please click this link to download Silent Runners >>>>> http://www.silentrunners.org/Silent%20Runners.vbs
* Save it to the desktop.
* Run Silent Runner's by doubleclicking the "Silent Runners" icon on your desktop.
* You will see a text file appear on the desktop - it's not done yet, just let it run (it won't appear to be doing anything!)
* Once you receive the prompt "All Done!", double-click on the new text file on the desktop and copy that entire log and paste it here.

*NOTE* If you receive any warning message about scripts, please choose to allow the script to run.
here it is. Thanks


"Silent Runners.vbs", revision 40.1, http://www.silentrunners.org/
Operating System: Windows XP SP2
Output limited to non-default values, except where indicated by "{++}"


Startup items buried in registry:
———————————

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ {++}
"AVG7_EMC" = "C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe" ["GRISOFT, s.r.o."]
"AVG7_CC" = "C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP" ["GRISOFT, s.r.o."]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\
{8b15971b-5355-4c82-8c07-7e181ea07608}\(Default) = "Fax"
\StubPath = "rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\WINDOWS\INF\fxsocm.inf,Fax.UnInstall.PerUser" [MS]
{94de52c8-2d59-4f1b-883e-79663d2d9a8c}\(Default) = "Fax Provider"
\StubPath = "rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\Setup\FxsOcm.dll,XP_UninstallProvider" [MS]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\
{06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}\(Default) = "AcroIEHlprObj Class" [from CLSID]
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll" ["Adobe Systems Incorporated"]
{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}\(Default) = (no title provided)
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll" ["Safer Networking Limited"]
{5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890}\(Default) = "*i" (unwritable string)
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll" ["Sonic Solutions"]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved\
"{42071714-76d4-11d1-8b24-00a0c9068ff3}" = "Display Panning CPL Extension"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "deskpan.dll" [file not found]
"{88895560-9AA2-1069-930E-00AA0030EBC8}" = "HyperTerminal Icon Ext"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\hticons.dll" ["Hilgraeve, Inc."]
"{DEE12703-6333-4D4E-8F34-738C4DCC2E04}" = "RecordNow! SendToExt"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Sonic\RecordNow!\shlext.dll" ["Sonic Solutions"]
"{F0CB00CD-5A07-4D91-97F5-A8C92CDA93E4}" = "Shell Extensions for RealOne Player"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rpshell.dll" ["RealNetworks, Inc."]
"{640167b4-59b0-47a6-b335-a6b3c0695aea}" = "Portable Media Devices"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Audiodev.dll" [MS]
"{cc86590a-b60a-48e6-996b-41d25ed39a1e}" = "Portable Media Devices Menu"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Audiodev.dll" [MS]
"{e57ce731-33e8-4c51-8354-bb4de9d215d1}" = "Universal Plug and Play Devices"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\upnpui.dll" [MS]
"{9F97547E-4609-42C5-AE0C-81C61FFAEBC3}" = "AVG7 Shell Extension"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgse.dll" ["GRISOFT, s.r.o."]
"{9F97547E-460A-42C5-AE0C-81C61FFAEBC3}" = "AVG7 Find Extension"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgse.dll" ["GRISOFT, s.r.o."]
"{03A80B1D-5C6A-42c2-9DFB-81B6005D8023}" = "Trend Micro Anti-Spyware Shell Extension"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Tmas\sshook.dll" ["Trend Micro Incorporated"]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks\
INFECTION WARNING! "{54D9498B-CF93-414F-8984-8CE7FDE0D391}" = "ewido shell guard"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\shellhook.dll" ["TODO: "]
INFECTION WARNING! "{03A80B1D-5C6A-42c2-9DFB-81B6005D8023}" = "Trend Micro Anti-Spyware Shell Extension"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Tmas\sshook.dll" ["Trend Micro Incorporated"]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\
INFECTION WARNING! igfxcui\DLLName = "igfxsrvc.dll" ["Intel Corporation"]

HKLM\Software\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\
AVG7 Shell Extension\(Default) = "{9F97547E-4609-42C5-AE0C-81C61FFAEBC3}"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgse.dll" ["GRISOFT, s.r.o."]

HKLM\Software\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\
QuickFinderMenu\(Default) = "{C0E10002-0028-0004-C0E1-C0E1C0E1C0E1}"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "c:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 11\Programs\PFSE110.DLL" ["Novell, Inc., c/o Corel Corporation Limited"]

HKLM\Software\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\
AVG7 Shell Extension\(Default) = "{9F97547E-4609-42C5-AE0C-81C61FFAEBC3}"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgse.dll" ["GRISOFT, s.r.o."]


Active Desktop and Wallpaper:
—————————–

Active Desktop is disabled at this entry:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellState

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\
"Wallpaper" = "C:\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Wallpaper1.bmp"


Enabled Screen Saver:
———————

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\
"SCRNSAVE.EXE" = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\ssmypics.scr" [MS]


Startup items in "John" & "All Users" startup folders:
——————————————————

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
"Trend Micro Anti-Spyware" -> shortcut to: "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Tmas\Tmas.exe -autostart" ["Trend Micro Incorporated"]


Winsock2 Service Provider DLLs:
——————————-

Namespace Service Providers

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\ {++}
000000000001\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\mswsock.dll" [MS]
000000000002\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\winrnr.dll" [MS]
000000000003\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\mswsock.dll" [MS]
000000000004\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\nwprovau.dll" [MS]

Transport Service Providers

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9\Catalog_Entries\ {++}
0000000000##\PackedCatalogItem (contains) DLL [Company Name], (at) ## range:
%SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll [MS], 01 - 03, 06 - 18
%SystemRoot%\system32\rsvpsp.dll [MS], 04 - 05


Running Services (Display Name, Service Name, Path {Service DLL}):
——————————————————————

AVG7 Alert Manager Server, Avg7Alrt, "C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe" ["GRISOFT, s.r.o."]
AVG7 Update Service, Avg7UpdSvc, "C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe" ["GRISOFT, s.r.o."]
ewido security suite control, ewido security suite control, "C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe" ["ewido networks"]
LexBce Server, LexBceS, "C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE" ["Lexmark International, Inc."]
Windows User Mode Driver Framework, UMWdf, "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe" [MS]


———-
+ This report excludes default entries except where indicated.
+ To see *everywhere* the script checks and *everything* it finds,
launch it from a command prompt or a shortcut with the -all parameter.
+ To search all directories of local fixed drives for DESKTOP.INI
DLL launch points and all Registry CLSIDs for dormant Explorer Bars,
use the -supp parameter or answer "No" at the first message box.
———- (total run time: 17 seconds, including 7 seconds for message boxes)
Sorry for the delay I just can't find the time with work at the moment. I would like you to do the following for me. Do a search for msconfig. You can do this by clicking on start then search and typre msconfig.exe in. It will find all instances of msconfig on your system and the path. Once you have that please right it down, all of them if there are more than one. Then please post the paths for me.
no problem. You must be very busy and I realize I am taking up a lot of your time. I have uninstalled ewido. It wasnt running well anyway. I uninstaled trend micro but reinstalled it. I was having problems getting the updates. Since yesterday it seems to be OK. Here is what I found: msconfig c/ 1386 17kb compiled html msconfig c/1386 55kb ex_ fi msconfig.exe c/windows/servicepack 155 kb app msconfig.exe c/windowsPC health/he 155kb app Please let me know if I should reinstall ewido. Thanks
I have been getting knocked offline more & more. When I open the java script console in mozilla there are 5 error message. Each one says" uncaught exception.permission denied to call method location. to string. When i click on information this is what comes up: Error: uncaught exception: [Exception… "Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsIWebNavigation.loadURI]" nsresult: "0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://global/content/viewSource.js :: viewSource :: line 140" data: no] I cant go to the java sun website for info, I get knocked off line as soon as the page opens. The other thing is in my registry I have desktop.exe. some of the sites that give virus info say it could be a backdoor trojan. When I use ccleaner it removes history from desktop .ini If I do a search on my computer I cant find desktop.exe or desktop.ini. There are desktop files but not those. i am afraid to delete anything in the registry without knowing.
This is interesting, I think. I booted into safe mode and then deleted all my windows prefetch files. When I ran cwshredder it did not detect cws.msconfig. I know it will be back again but does that tell us something?
Hello kaminikij, SiggYX has been called away for work. I'll see if I can help. Can you post a new HJT log and tell me how the PC is running now?
Thank you so much! Here it is.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:59:41 PM, on 10/4/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Tmas\Tmas.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.adelphia.net/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = adelphia.net
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - Global Startup: Trend Micro Anti-Spyware.lnk = C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Tmas\Tmas.exe
O16 - DPF: {01A88BB1-1174-41EC-ACCB-963509EAE56B} (SysProWmi Class) - http://support.dell.com/systemprofiler/SysPro.CAB
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
I don't see any bad guys in your HJT log other then see two Anti-Virus programs running. This can cause lock ups and conflicts. Are you still having problems? If so, what are they.
wow . thanks for the quick reply! Lockups are a part of the problem. I am getting knocked off line more and more. simple sites like old navy and blair, the gap and several others. I dont get any warning that the site is blocked, just poof im offline. I did not have spybot installed before my problems started, just ad- aware and trend micro. When I scan with trend micro anti spyware in regular mode it doesnt find anything but if I scan in safe mode it always detects cws.msconfig.and removes Evertime. Today I decided to delete my prefetch files before I scanned and it did not find it. Most times when i go into safe my I do thru msconfig but this time I booted with the f8 key.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI