Thanks for the note Doris. I'm sorry your sytem is infected by such a frustrating pest.
LDTate is one of the best anti-malware fighters you will find anywhere. And the best advice I can give you is to stick with him and follow his sugestions. The process LDTate is following is entirely appropriate for an infection like this.
Here's why:
I've reviewed both threads, and researched the pesky search url via google. Your system appears to be infected by a a persistant, recurrent and well-hidden (from HijackThis) hijacker.
Unfortunaltely, the infection also is still quite new, since I can find only one other reference to it at this time.
Therefore, anyone who helps you must be a competant malware 'detective' and researcher as well as a good 'fixer'.
LDTate is all of those things and more. I urge you to be patient.
Thanks
daveai
daveai-
Thanks for your quick reply. I understand, and again, I apologize for being on the cranky side. I know that this forum is really busy, and I have complete confidence in LDTate, that's why I asked for him the second time. I know that this pest is a tough and relatively new one, but when I Googled it, I found three other instances, one of which led me to these forums. In this site, there are two other instances also. Since it doesn't seem to be affecting other parts of my computer, I will try to remain patient. I don't consider myself to be an expert, but I can't help but think that something so embedded isn't going to take long to overtake other parts of my system. I am a fanatic about this machine, since it is here at my office - I'm not this bad with my computer at home (although I know I should be). Please excuse my impatience.
Just two quick notes - one of which (sort of) confirms your findings, if not to add more information for you.
First-I have two computers, one here at the office and one at home. They are not networked. There are only three common things between the two - One is that I have Microsoft Office 2000 installed in both; second, I have e-mailed back and forthe between the two, but never "forwared" messages between the two; third - I have the same Internet Provider for both! The operating system on the other machine is XP - So therfore, given the fact that this thing was not "transferred" between the two through a program or e-mail, it had to have come from a common place that I "visited" and my ISP settings or address may be more suseptable - does this make sense?
Second note is a question - can I get the DNS numbers from anyplace else other from my provider if he doesn't cooperate?