This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Random Problems Encountered

45 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

General: Type of file: PF file Opens with: Unknown application Location: C:\windos\Prefetch Size: 24.9KB Size on disk: 28.0KB Created: Today. September 02, 2005 1:25:39 PM Security: Users Administrators(DHENLEYLT\Administrators) Read & Execute Allow Box checked Read Allow Box checked No deny boxes checked System All allow boxes checked Summary: No values given
Hmm, nothing there to help either. Sparky Tin Can Man, I apologize, but I don't know what else to check on this. I doubt this is caused by malware, but rather something that is installed on the system.
The problem was with one of the applications in my Trend Micro Office Scan called OfcDog.exe. The guys over at Geeks to Go helped me find it. I uninstalled the antivirus program and reinstalled it and that fixed it. Thanks for trying.
It's some kind of watchdog program for Trend Micro Office Scan that attemps to restart the office scan software if it halts. What the problem was with the actual program was I don't know. It took some digging to figure out the problem but what finally solved it was searching for the errored application while the error was still on the sceen. As soon as I ackowlaged the error, clicked on the do not send button, it would removed itself. After I was able to see the properties of the actual erroring application with it's unusal icon I did a search of all files and folders by the modified by date and that lead to finding parent program "OfcDog.exe" with the same icon as the faulting one with the random name. First I just removed the application from the folder it was in and restarted my computer and the probem went away. I know that some virus's attack antivirus programs so mabe that's what started it. Mabe it was just a probem with office scan.

Thanks again for your help daprker. If you'd like to see the thread is at:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?s…ndpost&p=345077
Trend Micro's answer:
Uninstall the office scan program and reinstall it. run all updates and do a complete scan. sounds like a generic answer with a generic fix. The person that I spoke to said it could have been a botched update? But they didn't know.

Anyway, the problem is fixed :D and my computer is running normally again.

Thanks for your help. The thread at geekstogo :

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?s…ndpost&p;=345077

has been close.
Glad to hear it and thanks for updating us. Since this issue appears resolved … this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team
an email with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI